MILAVIA Forum - Military Aviation Discussion Forum

Author Topic: Are these Mig-21s in Sudan  (Read 5044 times)

Offline tigershark

• News Editor
  • General of Flight
Are these Mig-21s in Sudan
« on: June 22, 2009, 03:38:21 AM »
I was trying to track down Chinese aircraft in Afrcia I'm on a Chinese arms kick and came across this.  They look like Mig-21s all group together I assume not operational.
Link:
http://virtualglobetrotting.com/map/28193/view/?service=0

What I was looking or was Chinese made K-8 I'm trying see if any saw combat?   Now could these be Chinese J-7 (Chinese Fishbed copies)?  China has sold arms to Sudan and maintains a small force there to over look their oil investments.   On this above site you can see two Mig-29s but I'm not hunting for Russian gear.

I'm looking for information on a arms deal which may have included aircraft in 1995.  I don't have much to go on but I did find this link.
http://www.hrw.org/reports/2003/sudan1103/26.htm

A quote
Weapons deliveries from China to Sudan since 1995 have included ammunition, tanks, helicopters, and fighter aircraft. China also became a major supplier of antipersonnel and antitank mines after 1980, according to a Sudanese government official.1387 The SPLA in 1997 overran government garrison towns in the south, and in one town alone, Yei, a Human Rights Watch researcher saw eight Chinese 122 mm towed howitzers, five Chinese-made T-59 tanks, and one Chinese 37 mm anti-aircraft gun abandoned by the government army.1388

If anybody knows of any Chinese made equipment in the last five years that was invloved in any comabt please posts it or send me a PM.

Thanks
« Last Edit: June 22, 2009, 03:51:45 AM by tigershark »

Offline tigershark

• News Editor
  • General of Flight
Re: Are these Mig-21s in Sudan
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2009, 03:56:44 AM »
Two African sales bu no mention of actually being used in combat.

Quote:
In 2008 China’s official media released photos of K-8 fighter trainers demonstrating impressive attack power against land-based targets. The aircraft are the same model that China exported to Sudan. However, the K-8 trainers are like standard attack aircraft, and their tactical application in the Sudanese Air Force is for training but also for land attack operations. Although all trainer aircraft have some land-attack capability, the K-8 aircraft that China has sold to Sudan are different from those in service in China’s PLA Air Force in that they are fitted with 23-mm machine-gun pods. Along with the trainer planes, HF-20 rocket launchers were also exported to Sudan.

In February 2009 it was reported that Zimbabwe would spend US$240 million on 12 K-8 jet trainer aircraft from China. Six of the 12 aircraft were already in the country, with the remainder set to be delivered in two months. Several western countries, notably Britain, had imposed an arms embargo on Zimbabwe over complaints about human rights violations in the southern African country. President Robert Mugabe has reacted to the targeted sanctions on his regime by urging the country to 'Look East', reference to Asian countries which have pledged their support for his regime

Source

http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/world/china/k-8-dev.htm

Offline Webmaster

• MILAVIA Webmaster
  • Administrator
  • General of Flight
Re: Are these Mig-21s in Sudan
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2009, 04:18:36 AM »
Yep, must be and looks like F-7s. (F-7 is export designation for J-7). The other white ones must be the F-5/FT-5. The two with the straight wings look more like dumped Jet Provosts... where's RecceJet when you need him.

To the south of that position might be the remains of two A-5s. To the West are the remains of some prop transports and helicopter, can't make out type? To the north, 4x MiG-23s, F-5, F-7 and two MiG-29. Surely, those hangars contain more interesting things. And some more trainers are scattered around... don't appear to be K-8s though.

K-8 doing combat... I suppose you have to look West and then North for that, look out for either Su-25 or Hinds and see what else you spot. If some are doing combat, they won't be sitting at Khartoum.

But the K-8s are comparatively new, they'll be sitting in the hangars if these sat photos are actually from after their time of delivery... you won't find them dumped at the end of the base like those F-7/F-5s.

Also prior to Darfur, there was war in the south, probably some Hind, A-5 remains there. I say remains because they shouldn't be operating there... if you find them there in fine condition, then the sat photo is way old.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2009, 04:23:39 AM by Webmaster »
  • Interests: Su-15, Su-27, Tu-22, Tornado, RNLAF
Niels Hillebrand
MILAVIA Webmaster

AVIATION TOP 100 - www.avitop.com click to vote for MILAVIA