MILAVIA Forum - Military Aviation Discussion Forum

Author Topic: Su-30 MKK vs Su-30 MKI  (Read 13238 times)

Offline Air Marshal

• Fighter Ace
Su-30 MKK vs Su-30 MKI
« on: June 19, 2005, 02:14:22 PM »
The MKK has

1. Long, un-refueled range, allowing it to easily cross the Himalayan mountain ranges in the even of an Indo-China war, with its entire range of weapons
2. A good variety of air-to-air and air-to-ground weapons, allowing it to carry precision strike missions
3. Cheap operating costs and engine commonality with the PLAAF J-10 which is under development, reducing maintenance costs
4. A second pilot or a dedicated Weapon Systems Operator, reducing pilot workload.
5. Excellent maneuverability.

The MKI has

1. Digital Fly-By-Wire controls instead of Analog for better accuracy and reliability
2. Movable Canards placed in front of the wings for super-maneuverability.
3. A Rearwards facing radar mounted in the tail boom, that would provide protection from targets approaching from the rear quadrants and the option of a rearwards firing R-73 missiles.
4. Three-dimensional Thrust Vector Controls (TVC) that allows the engine nozzles to swivel 15 degrees in any direction to enable the MKI to turn on a dime without any AoA (Angle of Attack) limits whatsoever. The Su-37 had two dimensional controls, i.e. they worked only in the vertical plane.
5. The Phazotron forward radar with increased search range, ground mapping function and compatibility with all Russian air-air and air-ground weaponry.
6. Modified aerial refueling probe.
7. Datalink, also present in Su-30 air defense fighters.
PAKISTAN AIR FORCE (www.paffalcons.com)

FOR THOSE WHO DARE THE FUTURE IN THE SKIES

Offline Webmaster

• MILAVIA Webmaster
  • Administrator
  • General of Flight
Re: Su-30 MKK vs Su-30 MKI
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2005, 02:13:53 AM »
MKK:

3) well cheap is very relative, but compared to TVC engines and a larger variaty of foreign sensors and equipment, you are probably right. About the engine, they probably want their own engine for the full series production J-10, otherwise Russia could 'limit' J-10 production if they want. WS-10 was reported to be the Chinese engine, but I wouldn't be surprised the development would fail.
5) not really worth mentioning here I suppose the MKI's maneuverability would be better with the TVC and canards.
6) don't forget the airframe and gear strengthening for heavier loads.

The good thing about the MKK, is that is has been followed by the Su-30MK2, a more capable maritime attacker, and will most probably be upgraded to Su-30MK3, as well as new built Su-30MK3s.

MKI

1) Well you can't just install canards and TVC without upgrading the FBW control. In regards to how more digital this one would be, I don't know. China plans for the Su-30MK3 specs call for upgraded the FBW control system. So until then Su-30MKI's system would be better I suppose.
5) Phazotron N011M I think it was, which would indeed be superior to the N001 derivatives of the Su-30MKK, but China is looking at more advanced radars as well. And how many N011Ms have actually made it onto current Su-30MKIs? I am not too sure.
6) the MKK got a refuelling probe as well, but you say modified, I don't know about that. Anyway, I doubt the modification made it significantly better.

By the way, on this page: http://www.milavia.net/aircraft/su-27/su-27_specs.htm I published some specs. However the source suggests the internal fuel of the Su-30MKI being larger than normal Su-30, whereas the MKK would have the same. I suppose this should be the other way around! Since the latter got the increased area fins (which house fuel cells) and was modified for extra loads. So I am pretty sure Su-30MKK should be larger than 9400. Anyone have some data on this?
« Last Edit: June 20, 2005, 02:16:27 AM by Webmaster »
  • Interests: Su-15, Su-27, Tu-22, Tornado, RNLAF
Niels Hillebrand
MILAVIA Webmaster

Offline Air Marshal

• Fighter Ace
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2005, 06:42:27 AM »
MKK:

3) well cheap is very relative, but compared to TVC engines and a larger variaty of foreign sensors and equipment, you are probably right. About the engine, they probably want their own engine for the full series production J-10, otherwise Russia could 'limit' J-10 production if they want. WS-10 was reported to be the Chinese engine, but I wouldn't be surprised the development would fail.
5) not really worth mentioning here I suppose the MKI's maneuverability would be better with the TVC and canards.
6) don't forget the airframe and gear strengthening for heavier loads.

The good thing about the MKK, is that is has been followed by the Su-30MK2, a more capable maritime attacker, and will most probably be upgraded to Su-30MK3, as well as new built Su-30MK3s.

MKI

1) Well you can't just install canards and TVC without upgrading the FBW control. In regards to how more digital this one would be, I don't know. China plans for the Su-30MK3 specs call for upgraded the FBW control system. So until then Su-30MKI's system would be better I suppose.
5) Phazotron N011M I think it was, which would indeed be superior to the N001 derivatives of the Su-30MKK, but China is looking at more advanced radars as well. And how many N011Ms have actually made it onto current Su-30MKIs? I am not too sure.
6) the MKK got a refuelling probe as well, but you say modified, I don't know about that. Anyway, I doubt the modification made it significantly better.

By the way, on this page: http://www.milavia.net/aircraft/su-27/su-27_specs.htm I published some specs. However the source suggests the internal fuel of the Su-30MKI being larger than normal Su-30, whereas the MKK would have the same. I suppose this should be the other way around! Since the latter got the increased area fins (which house fuel cells) and was modified for extra loads. So I am pretty sure Su-30MKK should be larger than 9400. Anyone have some data on this?
I must say Good Effort ........  ;)

Offline chacko

• Recruit
  • frontierindia.com
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2005, 02:40:13 PM »
SU-30 MKK is ground attack optimised. A2A mode with SU-30 MKI, it will have rough time.

Offline Air Marshal

• Fighter Ace
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2005, 09:09:03 PM »
I think Su-30 MKI is better than Su-30 MKK    ;)

AVIATION TOP 100 - www.avitop.com click to vote for MILAVIA