Military Aviation > Air Forces

A possible Latin America Arms race??

(1/3) > >>

WRCKid:
Is this possible? (then again anything is...) Brazil a very well stablished industrialized nation, Venezuela an oil giant in Latin America. I wonder what do their neighbors think about this, Argentina, Chile, Colombia, etc...article below.

http://www.defenseindustrydaily.com/russia-looks-to-triple-arms-exports-to-venezuela-04199/

terminator:
You are right on some things (brazil and venzuela's conditions)they are strong but not enough to start an arms race on a big scale ,chavez's su-30's along their f-16's make their air force very effective, but in my opinion not enought to start an arms race with a country like brazil . (a ''real'' arms race would be the one between the USA and the USSR with their thousands of military machines)south american countries dont have military equipment on big numbers, but like you said everything is possible .(BTW iam of peruvian descent)

WRCKid:

--- Quote from: terminator on November 14, 2007, 02:16:46 AM ---You are right on some things (brazil and venzuela's conditions)they are strong but not enough to start an arms race on a big scale ,chavez's su-30's along their f-16's make their air force very effective, but in my opinion not enought to start an arms race with a country like brazil . (a ''real'' arms race would be the one between the USA and the USSR with their thousands of military machines)south american countries dont have military equipment on big numbers, but like you said everything is possible .(BTW iam of peruvian descent)

--- End quote ---
Well we know that Brazil has been given the go ahead in their defense budget, Venezuela's budget has steadealy increased every year. Venezuela has just purchased new aircraft ( as you mentioned both fixed and rotary) you might be right there might not be a arms race in the US/USSR since both countrie's military do not compare in size to the US and the USSR cold war days, but it is relative to their to both they country and population size, of course this could just be blown way out of context and there might even be something of an arms.

I guess we may just have to wait and see what pans out.

terminator:
you are right it might happen, lets hope not..

Globetrotter:
I think there's no money for a real arms race. maybe countries do increase theirmilitary budget... maybe because we have 30-year-old aircraft? Someday, they will have to be replaced

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version