MILAVIA Forum - Military Aviation Discussion Forum

Author Topic: Two Navy bomber regiments to join Air Force in 2008  (Read 10585 times)

Offline tigershark

• News Editor
  • General of Flight
Two Navy bomber regiments to join Air Force in 2008
« on: May 22, 2007, 05:02:38 AM »
In the below news clip do Russian bombers pose a threat to NATO or the United States anymore?   I think times change and NATO countries are better equipped and that Russia air force or bomber fleet isn't as effective as it once was.    I wonder how much training time the pilots would get?  Are maintenance crews trained enough to maintain them?   Is anybody up to date on Russia air force could they really field two regiments of Tu-22M backfire bombers?   

Two Navy bomber regiments to join Air Force in 2008

14:52    |    21/ 05/ 2007

MOSCOW, May 21 (RIA Novosti) - Two regiments of Tu-22M Backfire strategic bombers currently under Navy command are set to become part of the Russian Air Force by the end of 2008, a senior Air Force official said Monday.

"We are planning to reassign two regiments of naval strategic bombers, which will join the 37th Air Army of the Strategic Command as part of major structural and organizational changes to bring the status of long-range aviation to a strategic level," the newly appointed Chief of the Air Force General Staff, Lieutenant General Igor Khvorov, said.

At present, the regiments are involved in joint combat training with strategic aviation units of the Russian Air Force, he said.

Khvorov, the former commander of the 37th Air Army, said March 5 that Russia's strategic aviation has sufficient potential to suppress elements of a U.S. missile defense shield should it be deployed in Central Europe.

The Tu-22M is a supersonic, swing-wing strategic bomber with a maximum range of 4,000 miles and a speed of over Mach 2. The aircraft can cruise at low altitudes and penetrate highly defended airspace with a quick supersonic dash.

According to experts, its range allows the bomber to attack all of Japan, and even some areas in Alaska. It can carry cruise missiles equipped with nuclear warheads.

Russia reportedly has 124 Tu-22M bombers in service with the Air Force and 58 deployed by the Navy.

http://en.rian.ru/russia/20070521/65809052.html

Offline Webmaster

• MILAVIA Webmaster
  • Administrator
  • General of Flight
Re: Two Navy bomber regiments to join Air Force in 2008
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2007, 01:15:41 PM »
Well, long-range aviation has always been a sort of 'elite' unit of the Soviet/Russian air force. I don't know about the Tu-22M regiments, but the Tu-160 and some Tu-95 regiments have been financed well. The Tu-22M has been quite outdated and is in need of serious upgrade, it is not very effective in anything other than the nuclear attack on big targets in tactical range. It can hardly be called a strategic bomber. But it's a deterent.  ;)

Although this probably means more Tu-22Ms will be scrapped, I believe, the units are better off under air force command than navy command. The Navy does not need to be able to attack US carrier groups anymore, the upgraded Su-24 and Su-33 with anti-shipping missile will do just fine.
  • Interests: Su-15, Su-27, Tu-22, Tornado, RNLAF
Niels Hillebrand
MILAVIA Webmaster

Offline RecceJet

• Fighter Ace
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2007, 02:26:57 PM »
The Tu-22M has been quite outdated and is in need of serious upgrade, it is not very effective in anything other than the nuclear attack on big targets in tactical range. It can hardly be called a strategic bomber. But it's a deterent.  ;)

Quote from: Dr. Strangelove
Based on the findings of the report, my conclusion was that this idea was not a practical deterrent for reasons which at this moment must be all too obvious.

Offline tigershark

• News Editor
  • General of Flight
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2007, 03:32:03 PM »
I can't imagine half of these bombers being operational and ready for battle.  I always seem to read bad things about the Russian air force like no parts, not enough training, no pay, and stuff a long those lines.   I'm sure some of of the information I read is just pure Russian bashing and things can't be that bad right?   

Offline Webmaster

• MILAVIA Webmaster
  • Administrator
  • General of Flight
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2007, 04:21:42 PM »
I can't imagine half of these bombers being operational and ready for battle.  I always seem to read bad things about the Russian air force like no parts, not enough training, no pay, and stuff a long those lines.   I'm sure some of of the information I read is just pure Russian bashing and things can't be that bad right?   

Well, I am always careful about those statements. I don't know what you read, maybe not bashing but just outdated; most is probably written between 1992 and 2000, probably especially from 1996-1998, when Russian people were lining up outside supermarkets just to get some food. Of course, it's not like the USAF with 25 flying hours per month, but I'd bet it's better than the 25 hours per year of the years after the Cold War. Long range aviation has been reformed and refunded since 1998, with aircraft being upgraded and scrapped. With so many Tu-22Ms available, you can cannabilize a lot of parts to keep at least a few flights in each regiment airworthy.
  • Interests: Su-15, Su-27, Tu-22, Tornado, RNLAF
Niels Hillebrand
MILAVIA Webmaster

Offline tigershark

• News Editor
  • General of Flight
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2007, 06:07:36 PM »
Hi Webmaster
With so many Tu-22Ms available, you can cannabises a lot of parts to keep at least a few flights in each regiment airworthy.   
>  This is a very good point and makes a lot of sense

To be honest I am outdated with my thoughts and information on Russian aviation.  I'm sure if must be much improved compared to those lean years.   The cold war been over for many years I need to update my thinking.   This aircraft could pop up on the edge of a battlefield or area launched a few missiles and be faster enough to get out of the area before becoming a target themselves.   It seems to be an asset to have not put into storage.   

AVIATION TOP 100 - www.avitop.com click to vote for MILAVIA