MILAVIA Forum - Military Aviation Discussion Forum

Author Topic: best air force in south america  (Read 42032 times)

Offline Globetrotter

• Hero of Flight
  • I'm Thomas (now Globetrotter)
Re: best air force in south america
« Reply #36 on: June 29, 2007, 10:33:11 PM »
I agree in many things you said.

If you want an explanation, well, the war was started cause the ilegitimate governmante was looking for some extra support from people, cause it had none by this time. It was the decay of the military government, so they were looking for reputation with the war. (in cas ethey won, obviously) It was like a desperate move....

They also wanted to retake the islands, I guess, cause the formal and pacific negociations have been going on since 1833 when the first ROBBED them from us (It's not like most of you think, that we tried to rob them from UK in 1982, the issue is much older)
"Ad Astra Per Aspera"   (5º Grupo de Caza ≈ A-4AR Fightinghawk)

~ MALVINAS ARGENTINAS ~

Offline Sergei

• Pilot
« Reply #37 on: August 13, 2007, 10:53:32 PM »
In my opinion, for today among the states of South America there is no such state, whose Air Forces would be stronger, than Air Forces of other state of this continent.

However, Air Forces of Venezuela, Peru and Brazil (it is possible, Argentina) are most allocated. It is caused by that Russia has already put Venezuela 12 Su-30MK2 (an aviation squadron) and 12 more same fighters will be put till January, 1st, 2008.

Besides, it is impossible to forget, that Venezuela is interested in purchase 24 more Su-30MK2, 24-48 MiG-29M/M2 (MRCA), 18-20 fighters Su-35 (generation 4++) and 20-30 Su-25/Su-39.

As to Peru the government of this country has decided to lead major overhaul and modernization of all available for today available fighters MiG-29 and MiG-29UB (which have been bought from Belarus in 1998), 10 Su-25 and 8 Su-25UB (which also have been bought from Belarus), and also to exchange the Mirage-2000P on Mirage-2000-5 or Mirage-2000-9 with surcharge. Besides Peruvians are going to repair all the Mi-8, Mi-17, Mi-24 and Mi-35.

By the way, I did not know all as me to name planes Su-25 and Su-39. In Russian it sounds as "shturmovik"i. And how in English name a class of self-summer A-10A or A-10C " Thunderbolt II "???
Жыве Беларусь!

Offline Webmaster

• MILAVIA Webmaster
  • Administrator
  • General of Flight
« Reply #38 on: August 14, 2007, 01:49:58 AM »
Good question. I know what you mean. I think the closest to shturmovik as translation would be attack aircraft. The class name for such aircraft is just attack aircraft, hence the A in the designation. But as that covers many aircraft including what in Russian would be "frontline bombers", close air support or ground attack aircraft is better suited for the A-10. Of which CAS probably comes closest to the A-10/Su-25 compared to other ground attack aircraft, as that's the role they predominantly undertake. Both are also called tankbusters or tankkillers unofficially.

If you look at overall capability, and not just the fighters, Peru and Venezuela still have a long way to go compared to Brazil.
  • Interests: Su-15, Su-27, Tu-22, Tornado, RNLAF
Niels Hillebrand
MILAVIA Webmaster

Offline Globetrotter

• Hero of Flight
« Reply #39 on: August 14, 2007, 02:09:42 AM »
Well, venezuela has the mighty Su-30, so that would be the top aircraft in South America, I believe. But they have 12 or 24 what doesn't get near the cca 150 aircraft Brazil has... I think they have the best airforce right now (Brazil).

~ MALVINAS ARGENTINAS ~

Offline Sergei

• Pilot
« Reply #40 on: August 14, 2007, 04:30:31 PM »
Well, venezuela has the mighty Su-30, so that would be the top aircraft in South America, I believe. But they have 12 or 24 what doesn't get near the cca 150 aircraft Brazil has... I think they have the best airforce right now (Brazil).

I agree, that Air Forces of Brazil for today the most powerful in all South America. But... At Venezuela the most dynamically developing Air Forces. I think, by 2010 Air Forces of Venezuela will be the strongest in South America. Anyway all goes to it.
Жыве Беларусь!

Offline Globetrotter

• Hero of Flight
« Reply #41 on: August 14, 2007, 05:09:09 PM »
Oh! And we also should sum up points to each one for having combat experience! Not all of the SA AFs have.... If I am not wrong, only Argentina, Ecuador and Peru have experience... Well, Brazil sent some airplanes to fight in Italy WW2... but those were still props and not even the tactics are appliable any more...

Colombia and Brazil have anti-drug dealers experience.

~ MALVINAS ARGENTINAS ~

Offline Sergei

• Pilot
« Reply #42 on: August 14, 2007, 10:08:31 PM »
You have in view of fighting experience of Argentina during war for Falkland (Malvin) islands? At all respect for the fallen fighters it was 25 years ago? Those pilots (hardly among the Argentina pilots people were younger than 25 years) already either do not serve, or have served to generals. By the way, something is known to you in this occasion?

As to experience of antiinsurgent struggle and struggle with drugdealer's armies also Venezuela has similar experience.

I simply wish to tell that Air Forces of Venezuela - most dynamically developing among the countries of Latin America. Neither it is more, nor it is less.
Жыве Беларусь!

Offline tigershark

• News Editor
  • General of Flight
« Reply #43 on: August 18, 2007, 06:03:49 PM »
Welcome Sergei

I agree with your 2010 statement about Venezuela's air force by that time with good training Venezuela's AF should be the most powerful in SA.   I think a follow up order for more Flankers will be placed within a years time because the current amount isn't enough to fully cover all their fighter needs.   I interested in your opinion on how Venezuela AF could improve themselves, I think some AWACS aircraft would be a good direction to go in. 

Offline Sergei

• Pilot
« Reply #44 on: August 19, 2007, 05:21:44 PM »
Greetings, nonpilot!

I consider, that a government of Venezuela, led by Ugo Chavez, will strengthen, first of all, Air Forces of the country by active purchases of new aviation technics. Especially, Venezuela has enough financial assets for similar purchases.

I think, that Venezuela in 2008 will get at Russia a party (18-24 units) of heavy fighters Su-35 and Su-35UB. Especially, government of Venezuela  declared, that it want to have in similar purchase. Then, most likely, purchase of party Su-39's (20-30 will follow; most likely 24), for replacement of out-of-date planes OV-10A/OV-10E "Bronko"/"Super Bronko".

Besides Venezuela, for certain, will get partyMiG-29's (maybe, it will be MiG-35's). It is enough to recollect, how to Venezuela for demonstration displays arrived MiG-29M.
Certainly, presence of a plenty иfighters and others fighting self-summer will demand due maintenance. And in these conditions, Venezuela be required self-years of distant radar-tracking detection and prompting (most likely, A-50ME), and also planes-tankers (IL-78MK; for example, India bought at Russia such 6 planes).

Certainly, such scale purchases of military technics will demand significant financial assets. Somewhere the order of 7-10 billion dollars. However, as all knows, at Venezuela huge stocks oil + almost untouched natural gas. And it very much serious.

nonpilot, how you consider?
Жыве Беларусь!

Offline tigershark

• News Editor
  • General of Flight
« Reply #45 on: August 19, 2007, 06:59:07 PM »
In there confirmed reports on Venezuela buying Mig-29Ms I thought that was pre-Flanker time?    Venezuela air force could replace their Mirage 5/50s with Su-39s at least in the attack and anti-shipping roles too.   

Belarus in 1998 aircraft sale to Peru
I read that Russia was slightly involved in the Su-25 portion of the sale I guess for spare parts or maybe service but not the Mig-29 Fulcrums.   Was it just because Belarus lower prices or were their other reasons.   I used to know somebody from Peru's air force who told me that the Peru's AF like the Fulcrums from Belarus better then the three SE models bought from Russia directly.    I can't think of what he said but there was something on the Belarus Fulcrums that didn't come on the SE models from Russia but to be honest I can't remember what it was any ideas?.   

Is Belarus capable of upgrading Fulcrums themselves or is some Russian involvement still needed? 

Does Belarus have more Fulcrums to see?

Thanks

Offline Sergei

• Pilot
« Reply #46 on: August 20, 2007, 03:30:39 PM »
Unfortunately, all electronics established on Belarus MiG-29BM is Russian. For this reason, Belarus cannot is completely independent spend modernization of fighters MiG-29, no less than modernization of fighters Su-27UB.

As to replacement of fighters-bombers Mirage-50 of Air Force of Venezuela... I consider all, that they will be replaced by fighters Su-35 and Su-35UB because Su-39's it is supposed to replace light aircraft OV-10A and Ov-10E which are based on an air base in city Maracaibo.

As if to deliveries aircraft technicians Belarus in Peru actually Russia in 1999 has put Peru 3 fighters MiG-29SE (an export variant of fighter MiG-29S). Their number has reached 21 units, however 2 fighters put by Belarus in 1998 were wrecked. Thus, as of January, 1st, 2007 the structure of Air Forces of Peru included not 21, but 19 fighters MiG-29S/SE/UB. However in a condition there are only several fighters.

At me such question: how many Venezuelan fighters F-16A and F-16B are in a good condition? In fact, the USA some years do not deliver Venezuela spare parts for these fighters. I somewhere read, that deliveries of spare parts have stopped almost right after attempts of overthrow Ugo Chavez.

I know, that it is a little not in a theme, but... Yesterday in weekly telecast Ugo Chavez has declared, that between Russia and Venezuela the contract on delivery to Venezuela 5000 sniper rifles Dragunov (calibre 7.62) SVD is signed. Cost of the contract makes about 10 million dollars (will be delivered not only rifles, but also, naturally, patrons to them). Besides it became known, that Belarus will put Venezuela of 150 thousand sights of night vision for АК-103 which Russia has put Venezuela.

Here so.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2007, 08:40:20 PM by Sergei »
Жыве Беларусь!

Offline tigershark

• News Editor
  • General of Flight
« Reply #47 on: August 20, 2007, 09:16:00 PM »
Hi Sergei
There was something on the Fulcrums from Belarus that the Peruvians liked more then the SE Fulcrums bought from Russia directly.  The guy I knew his e-mail is bouncing back so I can't asked him.   

Mirage 50 fighter-bomber > If you take away the top speed of the Mirage 50 the Su-25/39 does more overall and is more modern as well.   I'm a firm believer in not putting a $60 million dollar Flanker in a close ground support mission down low if I don't have too.  A Su-25 does that job well and with some newer upgrades use a number of stand-off weapons too.   

Sergei let me ask you a question would it be cheaper for a country like Peru to more Fulcrums from Belarus and have Russia or Israel to upgraded them or just go Russian from the beginning? 

AVIATION TOP 100 - www.avitop.com click to vote for MILAVIA