MILAVIA Forum - Military Aviation Discussion Forum

Author Topic: best air force in south america  (Read 42047 times)

Offline Sergei

• Pilot
Re: best air force in south america
« Reply #48 on: August 20, 2007, 11:52:40 PM »
I consider, that available Peru 19 MiG-29 it is necessary to repair and modernize in MiG-29SMT in Russia. The matter is that Israelis cannot lead major overhaul Peruvian MiG-29's. And for modernization of one MiG-29 Israel, most likely, will request not less than 10 million dollars. And on quality the fighter modernized by Israelis hardly will have higher fighting efficiency, rather than MiG-29SMT. Cost of modernization MiG-29 in MiG-29SMT makes 7 million dollars. Thus, if to make simple mathematical calculation, it turns out, that Peru will pay Russia of 190 million dollars for major overhaul and modernization of 19 fighters.

As to the Belarus variant of modernization... It would be also a good variant.
Жыве Беларусь!

Offline terminator

• Veteran
« Reply #49 on: November 14, 2007, 02:31:49 AM »
Peru's Air force are in some serious need of modernization sadly very few of our mig-29's actually fly or are fit for combat same thing with our mirages ,luckily the peruvian armed forces put the FAP (peruvian air force)modernization and expansion as their priority.btw sergei,nonpilot are you guys south american? you sure know alot about the subject
'711 I shall nerver forget you.......

Offline tigershark

• News Editor
  • General of Flight
« Reply #50 on: November 16, 2007, 05:20:38 AM »
Hi terminator
No I'm from the USA born and raised I'm just big South American aviation fan and I follow Peru's air force closely.  If I controlled Peru's air force decsions for and funding for the next five years I would:
1. I would like to see Peru cut down the different types of aircraft they fly and maintain.   This is where I would start and downsize bases but not personnel.   
2. Fighter and fighter needs - I'm a big Mirage 2000 fan but lets face it Peru's air force doesn't have many around 8 to 10?  Most are not flyable because of lack of parts and no money for daily operational cost.   Sell them now while they still have value and maybe some interested buyers.   For now split up the Fulcrums into two mini squadron one north near Ecuador and one south Chile.  This is the best they could do with the assets they really the Mirage 2000s were basically grounded anyway.   Put any money from the sales of the Mirages into getting more the Fulcrums flying again.   Some part of the Fulcrums production lines must be open for Algeria SMT Fulcrums so piggyback on them and maybe pick up 4 to 6 lesser Fulcrums just to bring up Peru's numbers.   Then wait, stop and think it over carefully your next steps. 

more later

AVIATION TOP 100 - www.avitop.com click to vote for MILAVIA