MILAVIA Forum - Military Aviation Discussion Forum

Author Topic: Myanmar air force  (Read 15309 times)

Offline tigershark

• News Editor
  • General of Flight
Myanmar air force
« on: July 27, 2007, 08:10:29 PM »
I'm on a Pacific Rim kick and was looking over some of the equipment used by the Myanmar air force.   They became Mig-29 users in 2001 to 2005 which surprises me a little since I always think of them using Chinese equipment, I was wrong.  They have a mixed blend of helicopters and transports from a few sources.  In fact they the  Myanmar air force didn't care much for the A-5M which has suffered badly, with no less than 14 being written off in accidents since the type's introduction into service. Since 1995, six are reported to have been lost in combat.    What combat does anybody know?  The latest known fatal accident to befall an A-5M occurred on 15 October 2002 near Meiktila. As is the case with the Chengdu F-7Ms, problems with low serviceability due to poor build workmanship and lack of spares abound.   I see the need for the Mig-29s now but they are the early A models.   I wonder if down the road since India won maintenance contracts that more  Mig-29/35 might appear?  I see  Myanmar air force dropping the A-5Ms an old design anyway and needing newer aircraft.    Maybe somewhere down the line better trainers and an all purpose fighter?  Does anybody know if the Myanmar air force ever look at the FC-1/JF-17 or maybe a future J-10 customer?  My other question is I see in the Pacific Rim countries a lack of French equipment is this because of political reasons or a dislike of the French aircraft/gear?     Thanks in advance for any help

http://www.aeroflight.co.uk/waf/aa-eastasia/burma/burma-af-aircraft.htm#mig-29
« Last Edit: July 27, 2007, 09:13:52 PM by nonpilot »

Offline alyster

• Hero of Flight
Re: Myanmar air force
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2007, 10:08:32 PM »
France used to have colonies in that region. If I'd be from there, I wouldn't want french equipment either.

And these sales disapoint me again. Russia selling them equipment to kill more civilians. Why not give them nukes and get it over with ?  :-[
Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes

Offline Gripen

• General of Flight
  • WHATEVER YOUR PAST, THE FUTURE IS GRIPEN!
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2007, 08:40:31 AM »
Where exactly IS Myanmar?

Offline RecceJet

• Fighter Ace
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2007, 08:51:35 AM »
Where exactly IS Myanmar?

It's in our region. Also known as Burma, next to Thailand. https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/the-world-factbook/geos/bm.html

Offline Globetrotter

• Hero of Flight
  • I'm Thomas (now Globetrotter)
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2007, 06:23:14 PM »
so, what do they want the aircraft to do? (Gr. attack, pure dogfighter, COIN...)
"Ad Astra Per Aspera"   (5º Grupo de Caza ≈ A-4AR Fightinghawk)

~ MALVINAS ARGENTINAS ~

Offline alyster

• Hero of Flight
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2007, 01:40:16 PM »
They've listed the MiG-29s as fighter-bombers. So I guess that's what they'll be. In normal times they use them to bomb their own people and if needed use them as fighters to keep their air space clean.

Offline Gripen

• General of Flight
  • WHATEVER YOUR PAST, THE FUTURE IS GRIPEN!
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2007, 08:24:30 AM »
oOh thats nasty

Offline Globetrotter

• Hero of Flight
  • I'm Thomas (now Globetrotter)
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2007, 05:21:14 PM »
Well, if they use it for that, I reccomend their whole airforce blows up!! >:(
"Ad Astra Per Aspera"   (5º Grupo de Caza ≈ A-4AR Fightinghawk)

~ MALVINAS ARGENTINAS ~

Offline Sergei

• Pilot
Air Force of Myanmar
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2007, 10:27:34 PM »
I apologize for intervention, but it is full bosh. Myanma - not Sudan. The government of Myanma does not use the MiG-29's for destruction of the peace population of the country. Besides, Russia has put Myanma not MiG-29SMT, and MiG-29SE.

It is interesting, why all western hemisphere of our planet had an opinion, what Russia sells the weapon only for murder of the peace population? It not seems to you, what it is simply silly?
Жыве Беларусь!

Offline alyster

• Hero of Flight
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2007, 11:01:24 PM »
Welcome to the forum  :)

And I didn't speak of Darfur crise but the Myanmar's military attacks against ethinc Karens and everyone who supports democracy. A classical hard ass military rule.

US along with many others have an embargoe on Myanmar.

Offline Sergei

• Pilot
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2007, 12:37:52 AM »
Welcome to the forum  :)

And I didn't speak of Darfur crise but the Myanmar's military attacks against ethinc Karens and everyone who supports democracy. A classical hard ass military rule.

US along with many others have an embargoe on Myanmar.

Hello!
Thanks that have answered my message.

You are right in occasion of that military dictatorship of Myanmar applied the Armed forces against the peace population. I even have a leaflet from the European Union on which it is written, that the sanctions similar entered concerning  of the president of Belarus (Alexander Lukashenko) - are entered against the dictator of Birma (on a leaflet is for some reason written Birma). Business not in democracy. The matter is that these people (the dictator of Birma and Lukashenko) do everything to keep authority in the hands. That's all. All is very simple.

Well all right, to hell to the politician. Here not it discuss. By the way, you speak Russian?
Жыве Беларусь!

Offline alyster

• Hero of Flight
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2007, 11:38:21 AM »
I understand little Russian, however I wouldn't say I speak it. Too new generation for that, more of the english generation.

AVIATION TOP 100 - www.avitop.com click to vote for MILAVIA