MILAVIA Forum - Military Aviation Discussion Forum

Author Topic: Philippines Air Force  (Read 27901 times)

Offline ManilaBoy45

• Pilot
Philippines Air Force
« on: November 02, 2011, 10:14:32 AM »
   What used to be one of the strongest air defense organization in the Asia-Pacific region back in the 60's and 70's is now at it's lowest point in terms of it's capability to protect and defend the nation with it's obsolete and aging air assets...     

http://www.paf.mil.ph/aircraft_gallery.html
« Last Edit: November 02, 2011, 01:08:05 PM by ManilaBoy45 »
" PROCRASTINATION WILL NOT ACHIEVE ANY GOALS, TIME IS OF THE ESSENCE ..."

Offline Webmaster

• MILAVIA Webmaster
  • Administrator
  • General of Flight
Re: Philippines Air Force
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2011, 12:10:24 AM »
Still, retiring the F-5s to free up funds to keep the transports, observation/attack planes and helicopters flying was a wise decision. Aging is a worry of course, but obsolete... that's relative.

What do you think is the reason to keep flying the S211, what's on the drawing board, fighter jets?
  • Interests: Su-15, Su-27, Tu-22, Tornado, RNLAF
Niels Hillebrand
MILAVIA Webmaster

Offline ManilaBoy45

• Pilot
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2011, 07:37:11 AM »
  The PAF has no choice but to keep using the S-211's for now until a replacement arrives which will most likely be the T-50's or the M-346 and will happen in the next few years as a final decision on a 6 LIFT aircrafts contract signing deal is imminent in weeks to come...
« Last Edit: November 03, 2011, 09:24:46 AM by ManilaBoy45 »

Offline shawn a

• Hero of Flight
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2011, 04:14:54 AM »
Hi ManilaBoy45,
So, which do you prefer, the T-50, or the M-346? And why?
And why did I just see an ad for something called the Alenia Aermacchi T-100 in AW&ST? (Looks just like an M-346 to me) Did they rename it? And just how much did Alenia use (borrow-steal) of Yak's -130 design in the "Master"?
Shawn A

Offline Webmaster

• MILAVIA Webmaster
  • Administrator
  • General of Flight
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2011, 03:13:15 PM »
It's not really borrow-steal, the design was a joint venture between Aermacchi and Yakovlev. AEM-130. I don't think the cash-strapped Yakovlev design bureau could have beaten MiG-AT, with French and TsAGI help (plus proven L-39 like design) without Aermacchi.

Furthermore Yakovlev can't export it outside CIS countries without Alenia's approval, as Aermacchi retained the world-wide rights.

I'm not really sure how the L-15 came about, definitely Yakovlev involvement, but not sure if it was with consent of the Italians.

But all that is going bit off-topic.
Niels Hillebrand
MILAVIA Webmaster

Offline ManilaBoy45

• Pilot
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2011, 01:15:26 PM »
Hi ManilaBoy45,
So, which do you prefer, the T-50, or the M-346? And why?
And why did I just see an ad for something called the Alenia Aermacchi T-100 in AW&ST? (Looks just like an M-346 to me) Did they rename it? And just how much did Alenia use (borrow-steal) of Yak's -130 design in the "Master"?
Shawn A

Hi there, to be honest with you I prefer the T-50 over the M-346...

http://philippineairspace.blogspot.com/2011/11/ta-50-for-paf.html

Offline Webmaster

• MILAVIA Webmaster
  • Administrator
  • General of Flight
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2011, 08:55:21 PM »
I agree, T-50 with all or half of the fleet fully capable A-50 combat jets would be a good solution for the Philippines. I think the M-346 with its integrated electronic training datalinked simulation system is more aimed at customers needing a capable training platform for advanced jet pilot training with bigger fleets and more pilots to train for more advanced aircraft. While the Koreans now offer the T-50 as light fighter/attack already, for the M-346 this track hasn't been explored further than the drawing board afaik and there's no need to go there for the Italians themselves. (unless, we're talking AMX replacement? but then, the Italian defense will face serious spending cuts in the next few years). If I'm not mistaken, the A-50 already getting his radar, while for the M-346 more attention is given to simulate having radar.

If there's ever going to be another fighter for the PAF, I'd guess second-hand F-16s, then the transition from T-50 to F-16 should be seamless, which is another pro.
Niels Hillebrand
MILAVIA Webmaster

Offline lucciano85m

• Pilot
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2012, 12:03:30 AM »

Philippines want to procure 12 F-16 fighter jets from the US
http://www.xairforces.net/newsd.asp?newsid=771&newst=3

The Philippines would like to procure a squadron of F-16 fighter jets from the U.S. Foreign Secretary Albert del Rosario said Wednesday. He and the country's defense chief will meet their U.S. counterparts in Washington next year to discuss the requests.

Offline ManilaBoy45

• Pilot
Philippines Air Force
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2012, 03:31:33 AM »
 The US has recently announced that it is willing to help the PAF in acquiring a squadron of F-16 fighter jets, the deal could be finalized as early as April when President Aquino meets with his US counterpart President Obama during an official state visit...   

http://defense-studies.blogspot.com/2011/12/us-willing-to-help-philippines-get-f-16.html

« Last Edit: January 21, 2012, 04:54:42 AM by ManilaBoy45 »

Offline ManilaBoy45

• Pilot
Philippines Air Force
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2012, 04:53:46 AM »

An additional C-130H aircraft will be procured in 2012 besides the 2 additional refurbished aircrafts that will be arriving in March ...

http://www.flightglobal.com/news/articles/manila-looks-abroad-for-used-c-130h-366875/

Offline ManilaBoy45

• Pilot
Philippines Air Force
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2012, 09:15:25 AM »
The PAF is racing againts time to bolster it territorial defense capability , also the 1st 4 units of 8 brand new W-3 Sokols from Poland will arrive this month based on this Aviation Week article dated 02/06/12 ...

Offline ManilaBoy45

• Pilot
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2012, 07:00:40 AM »
   The PAF recently took delivery of 4 brand new W-3A sokol helicopters from Poland as part of the 2010 contract worth $ 64 Million for the acquisition of 8 CUH , the remaining 4 units will be deliver in the 2nd half of 2012 ... Photos below as the 1st 4 units were loaded aboard an Antonov aircraft on Feb. 12 and also being inspected upon arrival at Clark Field  ...   

http://www.flightglobal.com/news/articles/philippine-air-force-receives-four-w-3a-sokols-368609/

« Last Edit: February 22, 2012, 07:27:36 AM by ManilaBoy45 »

AVIATION TOP 100 - www.avitop.com click to vote for MILAVIA