MILAVIA Forum - Military Aviation Discussion Forum

Author Topic: Royal Australian Air Force instructors will be pick to land on US carries  (Read 6471 times)

Offline tigershark

• News Editor
  • General of Flight
A select handful of Royal Australian Air Force instructors will be chosen for lessons on how to land on US aircraft carriers flying the new F/A-18F Super Hornet fighter.   The plan, which could eventually lead to participation in US carrier-based operations, marks the first time Australian pilots have flown off aircraft carriers since the retirement of the navy's flagship carrier HMAS Melbourne in 1982.   I wonder if  Australian Hornets will be flying off US Navy decks in future in military operations?   

Story
http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,25197,22279837-601,00.html

Offline RecceJet

• Fighter Ace
The new carriers the Royal Australia Navy (RAN) is looking at getting will not have catapults as far as I know. I can see no other practical application of carrier-based training other than to be operationally deployed from carriers. I would have to agree with you that RAAF Hornets - Super Hornets at least - could well be seeing action on USN carriers.

The RAAF won't be having operational F/A-18Fs until 2010 though. Perhaps being trained for carrier operations on the Super Hornet is an interim training package for future capability allowing RAAF F-35s to operate off RAN carriers? Getting some training early on will help the RAAF develop instructors with a good foundation in this skill set.

Offline Raptor

• General of Flight
  • What's the next big thing?
A bit wierd isn't it? Australia is like a big unsinkable aircraft carrier herself. Unless you see the need for an offensive, (or battle far out at sea)... Australia's shape and isolation makes it difficult for anyone else to attack. So i'm thinking stealth frigates, cruisers and 900 ft long nuke subs.  ;D jkjk.
-JCLim

AVIATION TOP 100 - www.avitop.com click to vote for MILAVIA