Military Aviation > Air Forces

Russian Bear bombers in exercise

<< < (2/3) > >>

Webmaster:
Well, interesting is one way of putting it. From that article,

--- Quote ---China is threatening to offer its copy of the Su-27 (the J-11).

--- End quote ---

J-11 is not a copy, it is license-produced with Russian supplied parts. The license is bigger than China's production/requirement so far, so I guess they would like to produce the remainder for export, instead of using it themselves. That's probably in breach of the license terms. But this isn't about illegal copying... 

--- Quote ---Currently, half of Russian weapons export sales are Su-27s. The Chinese ignore Russian complaints about the stolen technology. To keep Russian weapons manufacturers in business, the Russian military has to buy more, to make up for the lost Chinese sales.

--- End quote ---

Hahaha, what a joke! Russia is upgrading its Flankers, not producing new ones. Only exception being the Su-34 which is completely different in role and capabilities than those Su-27SK/J-11s.

Now, go figure about the rest of the article.

tigershark:
Webmaster the J-11A is made from Russian kits I think I read on the Chinese forums that the J-11B is pure Chinese even the WS-10 has been tested already.  The WS-10 is the engine there going to be producing for the J-11B.  Again I don't know if this is true but more on this is out there to find I just don't know about it's sources sometimes.

Webmaster:
Okay, I stand corrected, although I'm skeptical about the level of indigenous systems/work, I'd imagine that those existing J-11Bs are Russian airframes fitted with the Chinese stuff, that's far from 'pure' Chinese. That WS-10 is still not in production I think. But well, it's China, hard to get reliable info.

Anyway, I don't think they are serious about finding any customers and have little chance of getting orders, unless they want to sell to Iran or North Korea, but I doubt it. At least it won't affect Russian sales, because Chinese market consists generally of the ones Russia does not supply. It may be cheaper and therefore get some sales, but that wouldn't have been a market for the Russian Flanker then anyway.

Getting the WS-10 in full scale production so they can export the J-10 is a bigger priority than for the J-11B to steal the Flanker market.

Raptor:
Hey about the bomber and tanker force. If you pop a few air-to-ground precision ballistic missiles, like say that "koala" project? They can hit any target in the world... Probably starting with any ICBM and nuclear submarine bases in the world...

MKopack:
While I have never been the biggest fan of the Soviet and Russian aircraft, or their Air Forces opeartions, I've always liked the Bear and would love to have the opportunity to see one one day.

My only concern with their new flying, is that these are rather old airframes - not that the B-52's aren't - but there have been periods of years where they received little maintenance and were kept in 'less than ideal' storage conditions. I just hope that the young Russians who are manning these old aircraft on the long overwater flights under challenging conditions won't have to pay a dear price in order for the Russian government to 'fly their flag'.

Mike

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version