MILAVIA Forum - Military Aviation Discussion Forum

Author Topic: Thailand buys Gripen, or will they?  (Read 21338 times)

Offline Viggen

• General of Flight
  • We are not promised a tomorrow.
Thailand buys Gripen, or will they?
« on: October 17, 2007, 04:51:16 AM »
Keep your eyes open today at 08:00 hours Swedish time. Thailand will reviel if they will buy 12 Gripens!
Hopes are high, but there is some controversy to the deal. They prefferd the US F-16C D´s, however US will not sell the jets to Thailand because of the recent couw/cuu or how the **** its spelled.

Swedish peace organisation want SAAB to withdraw from the deal if they want to buy the aircrafts. They think its a crime against Thailand and humanity to sell fighters to a country that is instable at the moment. (But spending your vacation there is ok.) They also think it could damage the Swedish securitypolicy. They want the Swedish goverment to stop the deal if SAAB dont.

• Interests: SAAB 37 Viggen
Patrik S.

Offline alyster

• Hero of Flight
Re: Thailand buys Gripen, or will they?
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2007, 09:47:41 AM »
coup d'état [ku de ta] It's french  :-\ I don't like it either, why can't they keep it simple  ???
Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes

Offline Webmaster

• MILAVIA Webmaster
  • Administrator
  • General of Flight
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2007, 12:38:17 AM »
The US weren't jumping to sell before that either, because Thailand wants/wanted to pay part of the deal with frozen chicken. Reportedly even Russia wasn't sure what to do with them...

Any update by the way?
  • Interests: Su-15, Su-27, Tu-22, Tornado, RNLAF
Niels Hillebrand
MILAVIA Webmaster

Offline Raptor

• General of Flight
  • What's the next big thing?
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2007, 08:29:21 AM »
Frozen chicken. HAHAHA.

It's spelt coup, by the way, Viggen.

Sounds interesting. I'll keep an eye on the papers and keep you all informed if something big happens.
-JCLim

Offline Viggen

• General of Flight
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2007, 01:41:33 PM »
Strange part is, no updates!! I really thought it would be on the frontpage of the newspapers. But not a sound or a written line since.  ???

If you guys find any info before me, please let me know. I want to know how this mess will end.  :)
Patrik S.

Offline alyster

• Hero of Flight
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2007, 02:17:04 PM »
Lol, you want to get the frozen chickens all to yourself?

Offline Viggen

• General of Flight
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2007, 03:04:51 PM »
Maybe, i have heard the the meat from these birds taste like chicken... ;)

I dident even know about the bird stuff until Niels mentioned it here. This feels like a badly written comedy!  ;D
Patrik S.

Offline Webmaster

• MILAVIA Webmaster
  • Administrator
  • General of Flight
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2007, 04:57:31 PM »
Update: http://www.gripen.com/en/MediaRelations/News/2007/071017_thai.htm

Thailand selects Gripen and Erieye

In Bangkok, Thailand yesterday the Thai government announced the down-selection of the Saab Gripen new generation fighter, and the Saab Erieye Airborne Early Warning (AEW) system to meet its national defence needs.

10/17/2007 | The Thai Cabinet has approved a budget of 34,400 billion baht (US$ 1.1 billion) for the Royal Thai Air Force (RTAF) to procure 12 (twelve) Gripen multi-role fighters, to replace its ageing fleet of F-5 B/E aircraft, and 2 (two) Saab Erieye AEW aircraft, together with associated equipment and services. Negotiations between Thai and Swedish government officials will now commence in order to conclude a formal agreement.

The procurement process is divided into two phases; Phase 1 (one) covers the procurement of 6 (six) Gripen fighters, including spare parts and training, and 1 (one) Saab Erieye AEW system aircraft in the sum of 19,000 billions baht (US$ 600 million), within a 5 (five) year budgetary commitment from 2008 to 2012. In Phase 2 (two), the RTAF intend to procure an additional 6 (six) Gripen fighters together with associated equipment, spare parts and training, and a second Saab Erieye AEW system aircraft in the sum of 15,400 billions baht (US$ 500 million) within a five  year budgetary commitment from 2013 to 2017.

Swedish Minister for Foreign Affairs, Carl Bildt says in a comment on Thailand and Gripen. “I welcome the decision from the Royal Thai government to start negotiations with the Swedish government, to purchase Gripen fighter aircraft and the Saab Erieye Airborne Early Warning (AEW) system. This decision once again confirms that Gripen is a world class and cost effective system. The selection of Gripen was made in fierce competition with advanced US and Russian systems”.

“We must now wait for the result of the formal negotiations that will now commence between the Swedish and Thai authorities. When a formal agreement is in place, this will be managed in accordance with the appropriate export legislation, rules and regulations” he stated.

Since 2003, the RTAF has been evaluating a suitable replacement for its ageing fleet of F-5 B/E fighters to undertake the air defence and protect the national interests of the Kingdom of Thailand. In its evaluations, the RTAF considered the requirements of suitable new generation aircraft to replace its F-5 B/E aircraft, including the need for true multi-role/swing-role capability, new generation flight control systems, communications systems, avionics systems and a weapons system. The new aircraft needed to be capable of joint operations and tactical data linking with allied ground, maritime and air forces, within an effective command and control system. In addition, the costs of operation, maintenance and through-life costs needed to be the lowest of aircraft of the same type.

Following its evaluation process, and in consideration of these critical performance issues, the RTAF has selected the Gripen multi-role fighter, manufactured by Saab to meet its future defence needs.

It is planned that the new Gripen fighters will be delivered into operational service in 2010. Sweden has also offered the Gripen fighters with a 2 (two) years maintenance and spare parts support package.

Moreover, other benefits in the form of Thai – Sweden co-operation are proposed to enhance economic security – such as industrial co-operation, maintenance and logistics co-operation, technology transfer, investment co-operation, export as well as science and technology.

Decision is made, but contract yet to be signed.

Once again another good Gripen deal it seems: 12 Gripen + 2 Erieye AEW aircraft + parts, training and equipment for US$ 1.1 Billion.
  • Interests: Su-15, Su-27, Tu-22, Tornado, RNLAF
Niels Hillebrand
MILAVIA Webmaster

Offline Viggen

• General of Flight
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2007, 06:00:56 PM »
Thank you Niels!!!  :D

But im still consired about the deal. It may still not go through because of the Swedish peace organisation.  :(
Patrik S.

Offline WRCKid

• Veteran
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2007, 07:49:58 PM »
Word, I also found this...(which is esentially the same thing)

http://www.defenseindustrydaily.com/thailand-buying-jas-39-gripens-awacs-04022/

Offline Raptor

• General of Flight
  • What's the next big thing?
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2007, 10:52:09 AM »
The frozen chicken sounds good.

1.1 billion seems like a little little, don't you think...?
-JCLim

Offline alyster

• Hero of Flight
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2007, 01:02:47 PM »
Knowing swedish governmnt then swedish "homeless" are going to eat meat for years  ;D

I hope we get Grippens too by 2019. SAAB hopes the same, as I read from their home page.

AVIATION TOP 100 - www.avitop.com click to vote for MILAVIA