MILAVIA Forum - Military Aviation Discussion Forum

Author Topic: The Anzus treaty and why Australia needs a top fighter.  (Read 5486 times)

Offline AVIATOR

• Hero of Flight
  • TALLY HO CHAPS
The Anzus treaty and why Australia needs a top fighter.
« on: July 18, 2009, 01:30:33 AM »
An interesting post from an American viewpoint on the Strategy Page of the Australian Aviation Review forum.

"I have not been on the message boards in a while, how are all of you Aussie guys doin?
anyways... I don't believe that we (America) should export the F22 to any foreign nation, regardless of how closely allied they may be. the f35 may be a multi-role aircraft, but it should suffice for any air superiority needs the Australian military may have because of its stealth characteristics. f18s are no slouch in this role as well and although they may have a larger radar cross section, they can carry many of the same electronic stealth assets. if you want a dedicated air sup aircraft, the US would be more than willing to help you all equip those two craft with all the electronic goodies and weapons to do so.

Besides, the only country that would ever possibly threaten Australian air superiority, and therefore require the use of the f22, would be the Chinese. I really don't see any reason for conflict between China and Australia.

I do see a potential conflict between the US and China over Taiwan. If the US went to war with china over Taiwan, I SERIOUSLY doubt that Australians would join us in battle. I believe they would do everything in their power to stay out of the conflict.

Therefore, Australia has no need, from my perspective, to have the F22. any country that it would potentially battle can be dealt with using the f18 or f35".

This guy doesn't know much about the ANZUS Treaty.

The Anzus Treaty

The treaty was previously a full three-way defence pact, but following a dispute between New Zealand and the United States in 1984 over visiting rights for nuclear-armed or nuclear-powered ships of the U.S. Navy in New Zealand ports, the treaty no longer applies between the United States and New Zealand, but is still in force between either country and Australia, separately.

The resulting treaty was concluded at San Francisco on September 1, 1951, and entered into force on April 29, 1952. The treaty bound the signatories to recognize that an armed attack in the Pacific area on any of them would endanger the peace and safety of the other.
It stated 'The Parties will consult together whenever in the opinion of any of them the territorial integrity, political independence or security of any of the Parties is threatened in the Pacific'. The two nations also pledged to maintain and develop individual and collective capabilities to resist attack.

Exactly what this means is that if America goes to war with China, Australia will be going to war too.
If that happens we will need the best US made fighter available.

The ANZUS treaty's provisions for assistance when a member nation comes under threat were officially invoked for the first time by Australia, to justify the Australian commitment in Afghanistan. (Australia and New Zealand have fought alongside the United States both before the treaty signing - including in World War II and the Korean War - and post-signing without invoking the alliance - in the Vietnam War, the Gulf War and elsewhere.)

If you want my opinion and you probably don't, but here it is anyway. Going to war over Taiwan isn't worth it for Australia or even America. Let them have the bloody place!
« Last Edit: July 18, 2009, 01:41:58 AM by AVIATOR »

Offline Gripen

• General of Flight
  • WHATEVER YOUR PAST, THE FUTURE IS GRIPEN!
Re: The Anzus treaty and why Australia needs a top fighter.
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2009, 03:36:07 AM »
Well said.

Offline Webmaster

• MILAVIA Webmaster
  • Administrator
  • General of Flight
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2009, 04:36:43 AM »
Well, I do not think Australia needs F-22s either, however I agree with what you are saying. When you have such a treaty in place (we've got NATO), the US should not be denying their allies them if it wants to have them.
  • Interests: Su-15, Su-27, Tu-22, Tornado, RNLAF
Niels Hillebrand
MILAVIA Webmaster

Offline AVIATOR

• Hero of Flight
  • TALLY HO CHAPS
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2009, 06:19:06 AM »
In fact I can understand where the US are coming from. They have many mini alliances including such places as Saudi Arabia and  Japan. Somehow these alliances must be separated from our relationship with the US otherwise half the world is allied one way or another.

Us whitey, round eyes have to stick together afterall.  ;D

AVIATION TOP 100 - www.avitop.com click to vote for MILAVIA