MILAVIA Forum - Military Aviation Discussion Forum

Author Topic: Which Air Force is Best?  (Read 93704 times)

Offline Viggen

• General of Flight
  • We are not promised a tomorrow.
Re: Which Air Force is Best?
« Reply #36 on: August 22, 2005, 02:59:38 PM »
Im not saying it is the best, just one of the better ones. But the Swedish airbases have great groundefence against saboteurs and terrorism. Swedish airforce rangers rules!!  ;D
  • Interests: SAAB 37 Viggen
Patrik S.

Offline Battlemike

• Pilot
« Reply #37 on: September 17, 2005, 12:55:17 AM »
 ;D  While i'd love to do the "politically" correct thing- what are you guys smoking???!!!! The US Airforce is head and tails above almost every world fighting force- The Swedes? okay the Grippen is a hot Aircraft, but why do they buy f-16 Cs? Maybe becuase the F-16 can do all the things that "so-called "air superiority fighter can do, and still bomb ground targets.Pakistanis? They've got f-16s too but are scared as crap to engage that Indian IDF fighter ( which is the equivalent of a  cheap casio watch compared to a rolex) Besides WHAT war has the Swedes fought to prove themselves?- US has far more ACTIVE and former JET FIGHTER ACES,i.e. better training and experience, plus even US RESERVE pilots could match or best the Best that europe and Asia  have to offer (Or did any of you forget that 45% of the flying forces for the USAF were reserves flying OLDER F-16 and F-15 variants???didn't see any Hot Mig 29s  or the SU27s of the Iraqis do anything but turn themselves over to Iran!) Face it, if You want to talk Superior air forces, try this :
1) USAF (period)
2) RAF ( Toranado fighter-bomber jocks have GUTS and those pesky little Harrier Jocks are psychos and will go up against even mach 2 adversaries! When the RAF gets the new Typhoon,they'll give the USAF a run for the bank!)
3) IDF -Isrealis are "alley fighters"-they have PROVEN the deadliness of the F-15 and F-16 time and time again (but they fly lighter ,stripped down versions of their US counterparts) plus be wary of their mixed bag use of older F-4 phantoms,mirage fighters and KFIRS,etc.

4)TIE- France and Germany- France got the Bosnia and Desert storm experience, they have good indigenous fighters( Dassault)
    and the Germans? BEST AGGRESSOR pilots in the WEST-Limited resources and finance hamper them, But Germany flies Tornados,f-16s, older F-4s(very well too,even as interceptors still!) and the hot Mig 29 ,which in my book is a threat to any F/A-18 & F-16 jock over any other euro  "bucket")

5) Canada-YES CANADA!!! Tradition,boyo'! The Canucks fly US metal-F-16s and F/A -18s ( and they also train with the USAF at "red Flag" ace factory and "Top Gun"-believe the HYPE,TOP GUN PRODUCED Randy "DUKE" Cunningham- (3) Mig -17s at close range and (3) Mig 21s!!!)

6) LASTLY-Russia- The former Big "red" fell down and went splat!! Budget restraints mean that the Russkies basically export hot fighters, but  have a tradition of making suprisingly robust goods and their pilots are near suicidal and resourceful in a fight!- the lastest Sukhoi and Migs can hang with Western "rides" ,but then it comes down to training and experience and in a short  "brush" war or political skirmish , France,Isreal or Germany could give'em a "BLACK" eye.

I'm sorry-just had to go there!! I'm originally from Canada (BC) but now live in the US (California) I've visited the former Miramar as well as other local military bases, been to the air shows and even have talked to U.S. Marine Aviators (basic mud movers with dumb bombs, but they can tangle in air to air too!)

Didn't mean to insult anyone 's national pride, but you have to face reality-experience coupled with quantity and quality win out ALL the time! The last true super powers -US And UK , have vast air fleets, can sustain more Battle losses in a slug fest and could out produce even a combined Euro/Asian aggressor force.sadly, I've seen that most here on this site are looking at the"dark yrs" of the USAF during their Vietnam conlfict- what you all are not taking into consideration is that the USAF  had their hands tied behind their back s with a don't shoot until fired upon  doctrine! In air to air battles- NVAF Mig 21s and 17s ran AWAY when confronted by  what was the USAFs/US NAVY's "best" fighter- the F-8 Crusader- the "last gunfighter"-Crusaders had a higher  kill to loss ratio (7:1) than the non- gun F-4s early in the war.US strategy was focussed on BOMBING ,not air to ari combat, so the "crippled orphan" airforce of NVAF had an open hand to hit first and run  away- When the US did show up to fight, NVAF "ran"  like every other bully country runs 2day...just my 2bits ,Boyo's.............

Offline Webmaster

• MILAVIA Webmaster
  • Administrator
  • General of Flight
« Reply #38 on: September 17, 2005, 01:38:27 AM »
 ;D ;D ;D Welcome  ;D  ;D  ;D
  • Interests: Su-15, Su-27, Tu-22, Tornado, RNLAF
Niels Hillebrand
MILAVIA Webmaster

Offline Battlemike

• Pilot
« Reply #39 on: September 17, 2005, 03:15:56 AM »
Lastly- How can anyone place PAF and IAF in the same category as USAF,RAF, and the Royal Swede Airforce? PAF anf IAF would get MAULED by the relatively small Swedes( who are mainly into the peaceful Defence end of the fighter business,i.e. "if you must insist on messing with us" type of combat!) ::).I believe that Countries build or buy according to their needs, and the IAF buys on ego and image rather than need.............

Offline Viggen

• General of Flight
« Reply #40 on: September 17, 2005, 02:06:06 PM »
You have a point Battlemike. Of course US has the biggest and best air force today, but however you twist and turn it. There is something missing.  Most of the answers are from a personal/patriotic point of view.

Like me, im from Sweden. Im glad that we never bought F16´s of F18´s. A small country like ours have not seen a major war for over 400 years. We survived the cold war, stayed neutral and built up a strong air force. Always followed our own ways.  :)
Patrik S.

F/A-22

« Reply #41 on: September 17, 2005, 08:49:05 PM »
My first post 8) Hej,Hei,Hello!
 I like the Swedish and USAF.
Im from Norway  ;)

Offline alyster

• Hero of Flight
« Reply #42 on: September 17, 2005, 10:18:12 PM »
I think Sweeden would of had hard time staying neutral in the Cold War if they would of started to buying ally planes or soviet planes....anyway it's a nice AF, it can handel it's duty.
Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes

Offline Viggen

• General of Flight
« Reply #43 on: September 18, 2005, 09:23:12 AM »
Any small country would get mutilated by the Russian or US air force in case of an invasion. Nobody here is stupid enough to belive that they could win an airwar against any of those countries. But we all would put up a real fight for survival, even if we know the outcome.  :)
Patrik S.

Offline TOPGUN4LIFE

• Pilot
  • TOPGUN CHOLO
« Reply #44 on: October 22, 2005, 10:28:17 PM »
I would say any Air Force with the F-15 in its crew because to date its never been shot down!
The hustla in TOPGUN!

Offline alyster

• Hero of Flight
« Reply #45 on: October 23, 2005, 12:15:49 AM »
Well there' lots of planes no1 has ever shot down, but doesn't mean they'll be so caplbe to defend the airspace or attack.
And I wouldn't say any, coz few F-15 or no mather what plane in small numbers won't do big difrence in massive attack.
Altough, I like the Eagle also :)
Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes

Offline Joopey

• Pilot
« Reply #46 on: October 23, 2005, 12:23:38 AM »
A small remark... The F-15 is not untouchable! Israeli F-15's were damaged in combat over Libanon... (read 'Fighters over Israel' by Lon Nordeen) Still a great aircraft, with a great reputation and a big asset to any air force

Offline Air Marshal

• Fighter Ace
« Reply #47 on: December 10, 2005, 04:15:56 PM »
A small remark... The F-15 is not untouchable! Israeli F-15's were damaged in combat over Libanon... (read 'Fighters over Israel' by Lon Nordeen) Still a great aircraft, with a great reputation and a big asset to any air force
Yes not doubt that F-15 is better Aircraft specially for Air-to-Ground Firing. The dual-role F-15E Strike Eagle is basically a converted F-15B/D trainer for the ground-attack role. It has a total of 18 external hardpoints and is capable of carrying a wide range of guided or unguided air-ground weapons and up to eight Air-to-Air missiles. And is also capable of delevering nuclear weapons.

The F-15I, F-15K and F-15S are designations for the export versions of the F-15E for Israel, Korea and Saudi Arabie respectively. Licensed built F-15C/D aircraft by Japan for designated F-15J/DJ. Korea has recently ordered the Boeing F-15K while Sukhoi was offering the more agile Su-35 at a much lower price. The F-15K is more advanced than the original F-15E, it has better radar and improved systems and a helmet-mounted cueing system.
PAKISTAN AIR FORCE (www.paffalcons.com)

FOR THOSE WHO DARE THE FUTURE IN THE SKIES

AVIATION TOP 100 - www.avitop.com click to vote for MILAVIA