MILAVIA Forum - Military Aviation Discussion Forum

Author Topic: Airstrikes on Hamas  (Read 9396 times)

Offline F-111 C/C

• Hero of Flight
Airstrikes on Hamas
« on: January 07, 2009, 12:21:53 AM »
Anyone have any info on the airstrikes as far as strike packages and/or weapons/aircraft used?
Wars are won by carrying the 'heavy iron' downtown!

Offline Gripen

• General of Flight
  • WHATEVER YOUR PAST, THE FUTURE IS GRIPEN!
Re: Airstrikes on Hamas
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2009, 03:47:12 AM »
F-16, AH-64.

Apparently used GBU-39 Small Diameter Bombs

Offline RecceJet

• Fighter Ace
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2009, 09:47:52 AM »
F-16, AH-64.

Apparently used GBU-39 Small Diameter Bombs

Have you got any sources for this Gripen?

I think I read somewhere that Apaches are being used, but I didn't make a note of it at the time.

With Israel's previous operation in Lebanon I recall the US getting into hot water in the media for supplying JDAM kits that were apparently put to use straight away. I could only speculate at this stage that they're using more JDAMs again.

Offline RecceJet

• Fighter Ace
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2009, 10:48:27 AM »
I've had a quick look through some of the media reports out there, not much detailed info. One Gaza-based journalist claims that F-16s bombed his dad, but I wouldn't put much credibility on a journalist's claims, especially in that area of the world. As far as Apaches go, the only reference I can find is about "Assault helicopters", which in Israel's order of battle could include Cobras and AH-6 Little Birds (not sure if these are still in service, but they carry the TOW AT missile).

As for munitions used, there was a mention of bunker busters, but again, the media likes interchanging terms for things that go bang. The strongest piece of evidence I could find was a photo.

If this image was taken during the latest conflict then it seems to depict a stick of four GP-type bombs, possibly with JDAM kits.

Offline Gripen

• General of Flight
  • WHATEVER YOUR PAST, THE FUTURE IS GRIPEN!

Offline Webmaster

• MILAVIA Webmaster
  • Administrator
  • General of Flight
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2009, 05:13:42 AM »
From the footage on TV, I could make out 1x F-16, 1x Apache (either -A or -D without Longbow).
  • Interests: Su-15, Su-27, Tu-22, Tornado, RNLAF
Niels Hillebrand
MILAVIA Webmaster

Offline shawn a

• Hero of Flight
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2009, 04:54:19 AM »
RecceJet,
Your photo looks too clear and high speed to have been taken by someone so near a real combat target. Nice photo, though.
 A small byline in Aviation week and Space Technology said that SDBs (or GBU-39s) were used, but it doesn't mention the launching platform. The article was accompanied by a photo of a non-Longbow Apache loaded with something I can't identify, but the article states that -15s, -16s, and Apaches were used.
Shawn A

Offline RecceJet

• Fighter Ace
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2009, 05:02:27 AM »
RecceJet,
Your photo looks too clear and high speed to have been taken by someone so near a real combat target. Nice photo, though.
 A small byline in Aviation week and Space Technology said that SDBs (or GBU-39s) were used, but it doesn't mention the launching platform. The article was accompanied by a photo of a non-Longbow Apache loaded with something I can't identify, but the article states that -15s, -16s, and Apaches were used.
Shawn A

Yeah you'd need to know where to look in preparation for a shot to get a photo like that.

Offline Webmaster

• MILAVIA Webmaster
  • Administrator
  • General of Flight
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2009, 07:56:01 PM »
Well, they are not GBU-39s, you would have seen the wings...

And those tails, it's hard to say, but doesn't look like JDAM tails, just Mk.82s with BSU-33?

Actually not even sure they are US bombs... looks more like French to me, lol.
  • Interests: Su-15, Su-27, Tu-22, Tornado, RNLAF
Niels Hillebrand
MILAVIA Webmaster

AVIATION TOP 100 - www.avitop.com click to vote for MILAVIA