Military Aviation > Air Power

F-16 C/D v/s MIRAGE 2000-5 v/s GRIPEN v/s MIG-29

<< < (2/4) > >>

osuorsa:
And in what sense does the F-16 beat the Mirage 2000 in a-a?

In AG role, the best of the list is propably the F-16, becouse of its huge number of munition choises and its radar's AG capability with the proper SAR mode (yeah, I know that the Gripen and the -D Mirage have these toys too)...But the number of different munition choises and the ability to carry a very respectable load of them makes the F-16 so good choise for a light AG attack platform...The new two-seaters like F-16D Block 50/52s equipped with internal jammer (thanks god, they finally got them!), CFT, NVGs, Sniper FLIR (or other kinds), fairly good ride in low-levels (It ain't fun to fly low-level with delta winged a/c!), good precision guided munitions and stand-off weapons and the most modern American avionics in the fields of precise navigation and targeting make it as I said somewhat more suitable for the role, than the other players....

The Gripen and MiG-35 are to close this cap...

Raptor:
The Gripen does have superb handling, etc. For such a light fighter.

I'd say the F-16 is more of a workhorse than all the others. It's designed specifically so it can take on almost any job, which is something like what the F-18 does, yes.

The Mirage and the Gripen are somewhat more... refined. The Gripen has the platform flexibility, but not that 'can-do-everything' mood you get with the F-16. The Mirage is out of my jurisdiction. I'm not a Dassult fan, but my opinion is it wouldn't do much due to cost-ineffecience. Still, if you want to factor out cash, then it is a pretty good fighter.

The MiG-29 (thanks, marshal for the info here ;D) has two engines. An advantage over the single-engined fighters listed here. It also has a more lethal arsenal, among other things... Still, it might do some good to put a vote. two of these aircraft aren't in my forte, so i can only give you a vague idea that for air superiority, you might want to use the MiG-29, if you have the massive budget, the Mirage, if you're operating in a small radius on a tight budget, the JAS-39, and if you don't come under any of these categories, try the F-16. If none of these work you should take a look at the skunk work catalogue. Or try the Tu-160 or B-1B if you just want a big punch.

osuorsa:
Gripen maneuvres in a deifferent gategory when comparing to the others...Thanks to its advanced canard -delta wing conficuration, big slats and effective FCS.

The thing why many people disrespect the Mirage 2000 is because they dont know much about it. Actually the latest variants, of course, the Mirage 2000-5 Mk.2/ 2000-9, are extremely good planes and can be seen in the same category with the most modern Vipers, the F-16E/F. The modern Mirages have many technologies borrowed from the Rafale. Avionics and EWS systems are proudlycomparable with the Rafale and any other 4+ gen fighters. It has one of the best MRAAM missiles, the Matra MICA etc.

Raptor:
Yes, Saab did an excellent job with all its fighters, most of all the Gripen.

The mirage and the viper would be totally different categories, if i'm not wrong? Mirage 2000s cost a lot, though, and i wouldn't want to pay for something that's said to have poor low-alt. handling.

Sure the avionics, missiles, etc. are good. France just places too much cost on its fighters.

Webmaster:

--- Quote from: Raptor on November 03, 2007, 02:43:44 PM ---The mirage and the viper would be totally different categories, if i'm not wrong?
--- End quote ---

Well, why do you think that?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version