Military Aviation > Air Power

Future of dogfighting

<< < (3/16) > >>

Gripen:
Um, the F-4s had better pilots and had good intel and stuff, so its kind of hard to compare them

Viggen:
However both the Mig 15 and 17 would do circles around the F4 Phantom.  :)

Gripen:
Their fighters, F-4 was more bomber then fighter.

Cobra2:
But it is still a good aircraft and served very well. And great pilots were much help too.  :)

Webmaster:

--- Quote from: alyster on April 18, 2007, 10:43:31 PM ---If anything from them, then speed.

Ace of aces, Adolf Galland once said that in the future fighters will only chase bombers at super sonic speed. He added that the planes are controlled from some sort of a bunker far away. So speed.

--- End quote ---

In WWII speed was great because it gave you an edge in dogfighting, and if not, you could always run off. But nowadays with missiles going Mach 3-4 and being highly lethal, I agree with Viggen and the USAF that stealth is most important now, remaining undetected, although that's avoiding a dogfight! Hmm, we are talking about dogfighting here, right? For dogfighting, super agility is now. But with with radar technology and weapon technology advancing, I don't believe that it would be the future... if you would call radar/sensors/weapons fire power...then I'd say firepower is the future.

Or maybe better.... there is no future for dogfighting! Future of dogfighting will be re-enactment at airshows.  :P

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version