MILAVIA Forum - Military Aviation Discussion Forum

Author Topic: Future of dogfighting  (Read 50861 times)

Offline Gripen

• General of Flight
  • WHATEVER YOUR PAST, THE FUTURE IS GRIPEN!
Re: Future of dogfighting
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2007, 10:14:45 AM »
Their fighters, F-4 was more bomber then fighter.

Offline Cobra2

• Hero of Flight
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2007, 02:12:32 AM »
But it is still a good aircraft and served very well. And great pilots were much help too.  :)

Offline Webmaster

• MILAVIA Webmaster
  • Administrator
  • General of Flight
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2007, 03:25:52 AM »
If anything from them, then speed.

Ace of aces, Adolf Galland once said that in the future fighters will only chase bombers at super sonic speed. He added that the planes are controlled from some sort of a bunker far away. So speed.

In WWII speed was great because it gave you an edge in dogfighting, and if not, you could always run off. But nowadays with missiles going Mach 3-4 and being highly lethal, I agree with Viggen and the USAF that stealth is most important now, remaining undetected, although that's avoiding a dogfight! Hmm, we are talking about dogfighting here, right? For dogfighting, super agility is now. But with with radar technology and weapon technology advancing, I don't believe that it would be the future... if you would call radar/sensors/weapons fire power...then I'd say firepower is the future.

Or maybe better.... there is no future for dogfighting! Future of dogfighting will be re-enactment at airshows.  :P
  • Interests: Su-15, Su-27, Tu-22, Tornado, RNLAF
Niels Hillebrand
MILAVIA Webmaster

Offline Gripen

• General of Flight
« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2007, 08:18:45 AM »
Well, you could make a missile that does Mach 10, can outmanouver anything and can find stealth planes, that would be the future, the ultimate missile

Offline Flanker.94

• Flight Leader
« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2007, 02:46:04 PM »
Yeah Grip. That will be awesome. I added counter-measures.
It's time to dive in the fireworks!

Offline Viggen

• General of Flight
  • We are not promised a tomorrow.
« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2007, 03:19:00 PM »
The days of dogfighting is over. I still stand  to my vote about stealth being the most important. But as our webmaster said, once your involved in a dogfight then aguility is more important.

But does not all pilots want to avoid dogfighting? Todays missions are mostly about taking out groundtargets, so you need to stay undetected. If you are detected and have succesfully dropped your load on your target, you need to get out of there. You dont stay and take up a fight, you would probably not have the sufficent fuel to make it back to base or the refuling aircraft.

The point im trying to make here is, that today dogfighting is the last resort you take if everything else fails. Just look at the development of the aircraft, most are multirole today. There is no need anylonger for jets like Viggen, F-104, MIG25/31, Tornado and so on.  Yes, there are a couple of pourpuse built aircraft  in service today, like the A-10. But these are not built for dogfighting in the first case. They have a supporting role on the battlefield for the goundunits. They are more stable at low altitude or slow speed. A prime example is of course the F-117, it never had to dogfight, thanks to its stealth capabilities.

Im sorry to say but this is what the future holds in it hands for airwarfare. Next step will be unmanned stealth aircraft (which i really dislike).  :(

If you feel im way wrong, please feel free to educate me.  :)
  • Interests: SAAB 37 Viggen
Patrik S.

Offline Gripen

• General of Flight
« Reply #18 on: April 22, 2007, 11:23:56 AM »
UCAV's will never be as good as manned fighters, humans have instincts, where as computers only do what you tell them

Offline alyster

• Hero of Flight
« Reply #19 on: April 22, 2007, 12:02:53 PM »
Human brain is also a computer with programming errors. Lets take a simple example: put your 2 finger across each other and try to feel the tip of your nose with these 2 fingers, in most of the cases people feel that they have 2 noses. It's a simple error in human brain while working on the information it gets.

Or if you fly into artic snow storm you could be flying 90 degrees nose down and still think you are doing a good job.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2007, 12:09:44 PM by alyster »
Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes

Offline Globetrotter

• Hero of Flight
  • I'm Thomas (now Globetrotter)
« Reply #20 on: April 22, 2007, 01:37:30 PM »
Human brain is also a computer with programming errors. Lets take a simple example: put your 2 finger across each other and try to feel the tip of your nose with these 2 fingers, in most of the cases people feel that they have 2 noses. It's a simple error in human brain while working on the information it gets.

Or if you fly into artic snow storm you could be flying 90 degrees nose down and still think you are doing a good job.

I passed the fingers exam at least ;D
"Ad Astra Per Aspera"   (5º Grupo de Caza ≈ A-4AR Fightinghawk)

~ MALVINAS ARGENTINAS ~

Offline Viggen

• General of Flight
  • We are not promised a tomorrow.
« Reply #21 on: April 22, 2007, 02:14:43 PM »
UCAV's will never be as good as manned fighters, humans have instincts, where as computers only do what you tell them

Unmanned fighters does not mean totally computer controlled. They are in fact controlled by a human pilot on the ground.
  • Interests: SAAB 37 Viggen
Patrik S.

Offline Flanker.94

• Flight Leader
« Reply #22 on: April 22, 2007, 02:50:33 PM »
Yeah Viggen, you're right.
It's time to dive in the fireworks!

Offline Gripen

• General of Flight
« Reply #23 on: April 23, 2007, 06:17:43 AM »
mm, so whats the difference? they are still manned in way or another, theres just no direct risk to the peson controlling it.

AVIATION TOP 100 - www.avitop.com click to vote for MILAVIA