MILAVIA Forum - Military Aviation Discussion Forum

Author Topic: High Court Rules German Spy Planes Allowed in Afghanistan  (Read 7464 times)

Offline tigershark

• News Editor
  • General of Flight
High Court Rules German Spy Planes Allowed in Afghanistan
« on: July 05, 2007, 08:30:36 PM »
High Court Rules German Spy Planes Allowed in Afghanistan
I never saw this before in the press is the The Left Party tried to have them pulled back?   They seem to only be over there a few months right?   The Tornados are equipped with two high-tech optical cameras along with an infra-red sensor in a pod slung below the fuselage.   Their mission is to spy out Taliban positions in the southern provinces of Helmand, Kandahar and Uruzgan, where British, Canadian and Dutch troops are deployed.  Seems important to the troops on the ground I hope there not force to leave in another count case. 

Whole story
http://www.dw-world.de/dw/article/0,2144,2667959,00.html

Offline alyster

• Hero of Flight
Re: High Court Rules German Spy Planes Allowed in Afghanistan
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2007, 08:52:27 PM »
Atlist Germans have some use in Afganistan.

This reminds me of something I saw on DW-TV yesterday, how Bundeswher was playing war in Afganistan. Everything they did was dead serious, "we may be attacked at nigh, watch out!", yet they have so many restrictions on them that they haven't seen real battles yet in Afganista. They are just camping while Brits, Canadians, Dutch and Estonians in Helmand province die. Their patrols aren't like German's, that "we may be attacked", but more of will be attacked.

Poland ought to return Prussia to Germany, cause Bundeswher is rediculous.

Webmaster is probably going to delet it now  :P
« Last Edit: July 06, 2007, 12:21:41 AM by alyster »
Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes

Offline Webmaster

• MILAVIA Webmaster
  • Administrator
  • General of Flight
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2007, 05:53:44 PM »
Germany is very careful and reluctant when it comes to war, but can you blame them with such a history?

At least they provide a decent ISR and transport capability, both are in high demand. I guess it's okay that they leave the bombing to other air forces, but it sure says something about their commitment to the mission and the public view about Germany's participation. At least it's something and more than some countries provide.

Left parties always want to pull back, cut back, reduce... in some ways they are more 'nationalistic' than most right winged parties.

Anyway I think the limited mandate might backfire, then there will be casualties, let's see how fast they pull out then.

• Interests: Su-15, Su-27, Tu-22, Tornado, RNLAF
Niels Hillebrand
MILAVIA Webmaster

Offline alyster

• Hero of Flight
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2007, 07:46:59 PM »
I guess it's okay that they leave the bombing to other air forces, but it sure says something about their commitment to the mission and the public view about Germany's participation.

Well the US, not NATO, led bombing missions have recived high critic lately for very high death toll among civilians. Allied forces have been lately more deadly for afgan people than Taliban. Maybe it wouldn't be such a bad idea to let Luftwaffe or French air force take it over.
Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes

Offline Gripen

• General of Flight
  • WHATEVER YOUR PAST, THE FUTURE IS GRIPEN!
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2007, 06:13:10 AM »
I think if the Germans started taking too many casusalites, they would respond in kind. One thing you have to admire about the Germans, they dont screw around.

Offline MightyHunter

• Flight Leader
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2008, 08:40:31 AM »
Yeah i can already picture Hellmand Provence right now with seas of bathing towels laid bare across the desert floor  ;D

AVIATION TOP 100 - www.avitop.com click to vote for MILAVIA