MILAVIA Forum - Military Aviation Discussion Forum

Author Topic: Libya  (Read 60064 times)

Offline Viggen

• General of Flight
  • We are not promised a tomorrow.
Re: Libya
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2011, 02:37:33 PM »
You are right on there, propaganda talks are over. I believe Gadaffi  agreed to a cease fire because he needs a cool off period, so he can figure out his next move. Im convinced that the rebels or traitors as he call them, are still in very high danger from Gadaffis forces.

I would not be the least surprised if he will use "un-sanctioned" death squads to suppress the rebels will to fight, and to cleanse his country.

• Interests: SAAB 37 Viggen
Patrik S.

Offline Webmaster

• MILAVIA Webmaster
  • Administrator
  • General of Flight
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2011, 12:56:29 PM »
So while getting that no-fly zone into place, Gadaffi keeps on losing planes... one downed today:
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/africa/plane-shot-down-over-rebel-city-2246567.html?action=Gallery

Looks like MiG-23.
  • Interests: Su-15, Su-27, Tu-22, Tornado, RNLAF
Niels Hillebrand
MILAVIA Webmaster

Offline Viggen

• General of Flight
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2011, 02:54:38 PM »
I just read in the news that the downed MIG-23 belonged to the rebels.

This lead me to think about the coalition-pilots. How are they going to tell the difference between Gadaffis and the rebels aircraft?

If a rebel aircraft is in the no fly zone, are they still going to shot it down?

Maybe this is why we have not yet seen any NATO jets in the air so far. Even though they said they were ready to strike within hours. Or did both sides bluff and now we get to see the results of it. NATO do more talks and plans while Gadaffis forces still clash with the rebels.

We keep hearing. "Its a matter of hours". "It might already be to late". But still no sign of any NATO aircraft, not even a demonstration of strength.

OK, we know that NATO needs to recce the area with satellite images and UAV´s to pin-point anti air  weapons, airfields and later ground forces. But whats taking so long if they are in such a hurry?

Also, rumors circulating that Sweden might send a couple of Gripens to help. I´ll try to dig more into this today and see if there is any credibility behind the words.
Patrik S.

Offline Viggen

• General of Flight
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2011, 04:22:35 PM »
I´ll take a few words back from my previous post, as French jets are right now flying over Libya.

The rumor of Swedish Gripens, was actually  a statement made by the Swedish foreign minister Carl Bildt. So Sweden will participate in some sort of way, but not with ground forces. As of yet the Swedish goverment has not made a decision of how they will help, but sending Gripens to participate is not out of question.
Patrik S.

Offline Webmaster

• MILAVIA Webmaster
  • Administrator
  • General of Flight
« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2011, 08:38:35 PM »
Indeed, apparently they shot their own plane down. I was already thinking... MiG-23, he must have run out of Sukhois?

This lead me to think about the coalition-pilots. How are they going to tell the difference between Gadaffis and the rebels aircraft?

Not, rebels won't fly anymore. In fact, this may have been a try at influencing the Paris talks, pretending to show in front of all cameras that the Libyan air force was flying.

If a rebel aircraft is in the no fly zone, are they still going to shot it down?

Depends on RoE really, if there is some way of making himself known and RoE is pretty strict, then maybe not. We won't know the RoE until much later... the no-fly zone is for any aircraft with libyan registration, so that would include captured aircraft... but maybe visual ID and radio check is part of RoE.

If he hasn't already been downed by his rebel friends.

First strikes are all about starting low on the scale to try to resolve it without escalation.

Intentionally not shock & awe. As the country basically collapses then beyond recovery.

However, I'm not sure how much sharing takes place, or with what speed up and down the chain. I'd imagine it's still today far from ideal. Also reports were up to a few days ago very unreliable, and to put it bluntly, there have to be a certain number of confirmed civilians killed before you interfere in another country's affairs. He bought himself some time with the cease fire.

Niels Hillebrand
MILAVIA Webmaster

Offline SukhoiLover

• Fighter Ace
« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2011, 08:44:29 PM »
The French just started to kickass over there, anybody knows if it was the 2000D or the Rafale?
http://sukhoitribute.blogspot.com/

English version: http://sukhoitributeenglish.blogspot.com/

Pavel be proud of your legacy!!!!

Offline Webmaster

• MILAVIA Webmaster
  • Administrator
  • General of Flight
« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2011, 08:45:48 PM »
put my money on the Rafale... it needs sales...

Omg, our government is jumping up and down to get into this. Almost like little kids on the bench at the football match.

sorry if either one is an inappropriate statement, but that's how they behave in my opinion
Niels Hillebrand
MILAVIA Webmaster

Offline SukhoiLover

• Fighter Ace
« Reply #19 on: March 19, 2011, 08:55:43 PM »
put my money on the Rafale... it needs sales...

Omg, our government is jumping up and down to get into this. Almost like little kids on the bench at the football match.

sorry if either one is an inappropriate statement, but that's how they behave in my opinion

Yeah, i guess this is a nice oppurtunity for the French to show off the Rafale.
I just don´t know is how long it will take the UK to roll-in, don´t forget that they still have unfinished busness with Gadaffi for Lockerbe

Offline Webmaster

• MILAVIA Webmaster
  • Administrator
  • General of Flight
« Reply #20 on: March 19, 2011, 09:45:22 PM »
US tomahawk missiles vs defenses.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2011, 11:56:42 PM by Webmaster »
Niels Hillebrand
MILAVIA Webmaster

Offline SukhoiLover

• Fighter Ace
« Reply #21 on: March 19, 2011, 09:51:29 PM »

Offline Viggen

• General of Flight
« Reply #22 on: March 19, 2011, 10:56:53 PM »

Whatever floats your boat, Niels!  ;) Just joking. This is actually an opportunity for European aircraft manufacturers to  test their creations abilities under real combat situations. So im not surprised that Sweden wants in on this also. Gripen must prove itself during a real conflict or the sales will drop to zero when this is all over. It wont have a chance to compete against the Raphal and the Typhoon on the market. Sorry for steering of course here a bit...  8)

CNN was showing Raphal´s taking off, armed with 2 IR-missiles, 2 AMRAAM and 2 drop tanks. So these could not take part in attacking the ground targets. But like Niels said, i also bet on that its Raphals that are doing the job on the ground as well.

Have anyone heard any news on when the Typhoons are expected to start patrolling from their new bases?

112 Tomahaws have been fired so far from US ships.
Patrik S.

Offline SukhoiLover

• Fighter Ace
« Reply #23 on: March 19, 2011, 11:15:38 PM »
Hey guys, i just saw a video on that MiG-23, seconds before we see 2 jets in formation flying the zone, and some minutes later we see France saying they have fighter on the area.

Now Viggen says the Rafale were flying in Anti-Air configuration, so, do you see where i´m trying to get? Do you think the Rafale might have shot down a rebel aircraft thinking it was a enemy? After IFF can´t tell the difference between a rebel and a Gaddaffi fighter.

AVIATION TOP 100 - www.avitop.com click to vote for MILAVIA