MILAVIA Forum - Military Aviation Discussion Forum

Author Topic: pilot skill  (Read 18277 times)

Offline Genomscreams

• Recruit
pilot skill
« on: January 18, 2006, 11:25:17 PM »
how much do u think pilot skill effects dogfights? i personally think that if a pilot is good enough he will be able to ovrcome the limitations of his machine and succed in a dog fight against a superior aircraft. say an f-5 engaged an su- 37. i think that if the f-5 pilot is good enough, he could win. anyone else agree?

Offline Viggen

• General of Flight
  • We are not promised a tomorrow.
Re: pilot skill
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2006, 07:39:44 AM »
If it comes down to close dogfighting with cannons, then i think you are right.  :)
  • Interests: SAAB 37 Viggen
Patrik S.

Offline Air Marshal

• Fighter Ace
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2006, 11:48:06 PM »
After Machine Limitations, In very short Time time interval the Pilot having many objectives for enganging the enemy.  ;)
PAKISTAN AIR FORCE (www.paffalcons.com)

FOR THOSE WHO DARE THE FUTURE IN THE SKIES

Offline manuelrodriguez

• Recruit
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2007, 07:17:54 AM »
how much do u think pilot skill effects dogfights? i personally think that if a pilot is good enough he will be able to ovrcome the limitations of his machine and succed in a dog fight against a superior aircraft. say an f-5 engaged an su- 37. i think that if the f-5 pilot is good enough, he could win. anyone else agree?

Almost 95%, I guess that the maximum effect. what do you think?

Offline Gripen

• General of Flight
  • WHATEVER YOUR PAST, THE FUTURE IS GRIPEN!
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2007, 07:47:20 AM »
The effectiveness of an air force in combat is only limited to the skill of your pilots. There's no use in spending $180million on a plane if you only spend like $100 dollars training your pilot. Its pointless. Hell, if they were good enough, you could have a air force of Sopwith Camels taking on and beating an Air Force with Flankers, Eagles and Tornado's. Unlikely yes, but if they modern jet pilots are unskilled,then the more skilled pilots in older planes would have a better chance, if not the best chance.

Offline tigershark

• News Editor
  • General of Flight
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2007, 09:21:58 PM »
I would also rate the chances of a higher skilled well trained pilot in a older jet fighter then a less skilled pilot in a modern jet fighter.  A good example would be like a Brazilian well seasoned F-5 pilot vs. a new Venezuelan Su-30 MK2 Flanker pilot, I would put my money on the Derby’s or Python’s hitting first.   But once the basic training is over and the new pilot has some tactics down and some skills the edge would swing back to the superior equipment.   The difference is too great between a Flanker and an F-5.   The Flanker has many advantages over an F-5 even an upgraded F-5.  A skilled F-5 pilot would give a mid skilled Flanker pilot a few surprises in close as many F-14 and F-15 pilots can account to.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2007, 09:25:47 PM by nonpilot »

Offline Raptor

• General of Flight
  • What's the next big thing?
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2007, 12:44:47 PM »
Sometimes, it just isn't worth discussing unlikely situations. How many times has the F-15 gone into close combat? How else do you think they have that fantastic record?

But if i must, then i'd rate it at 60%. If your plane can't turn for nuts, it's no point going up against a pilot who may not be very skilled, but can fly, and has about the best close-up fighter in the world.
-JCLim

Offline MightyHunter

• Flight Leader
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2008, 08:38:35 AM »
Have you ever played Lock On Modern Air Combat , Dogfighting in that pretty realistic sim is nails , just imagine what real life is like  :-\

just give me long range missiles and a fast exit  ;D

Offline iluveagles

• Veteran
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2008, 05:28:16 AM »
Completely, skill is why the USAF trains their pilots so well and so much. To make sure they are better than the other guy. Look at the Israeli's against the Syrians(or was it the Egyptians, idk too many Israeli wars), a Mig-21 can outmaneuver a Mirage III family aircraft, however the Israeli's were much better pilots.

Offline Raptor

• General of Flight
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2008, 11:13:39 AM »
You're basing on a video game?
-JCLim

Offline iluveagles

• Veteran
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2008, 02:20:17 PM »
I sure as hell wasn't, I was just replying to the first guy...............[just to clarify]................

Offline Raptor

• General of Flight
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2008, 06:43:46 PM »
sorry, eagles. i meant hunter.  :-X

The true capabilities of the aircraft are most likely not even close to what a video game portrays...
-JCLim

AVIATION TOP 100 - www.avitop.com click to vote for MILAVIA