MILAVIA Forum - Military Aviation Discussion Forum

Author Topic: RIAT Sunday cancelled as well!  (Read 5644 times)

Offline Webmaster

• MILAVIA Webmaster
  • Administrator
  • General of Flight
RIAT Sunday cancelled as well!
« on: July 12, 2008, 05:56:30 PM »
AIR TATTOO CANCELLED SUNDAY

The organisers of the Royal International Air Tattoo at RAF Fairford in Gloucestershire announce that the airshow on Sunday, July 13 will not go ahead.

The decision was taken following lengthy discussions between the organisers, police and other safety services. It was based on concerns for our visitors and the disappointing conclusion was that we could not fully safeguard them.

The public is asked not to travel to RAF Fairford tomorrow.

Despite a huge effort by everyone involved to improve the conditions of the waterlogged public car parks, it became clear by mid-afternoon today (July 12) that significant areas of the fields and of the showground remain unusable.

Air Tattoo Director Tim Prince said: “We have been working around the clock to improve the conditions on the airfield and in the car parks but unfortunately we have run out of time.

“Many people will be desperately disappointed but I would like to assure them that we have tried everything possible within the time available. 

“Having worked towards this airshow for the past 12 months, my team at the Royal Air Force Charitable Trust Enterprises and our band of 3,000 enthusiastic and loyal volunteers share the huge sense of frustration.”

The senior Police commander for the Air Tattoo, Supt Tony Godwin, said; “It is with deep regret that the decision has been made to cancel the Royal International Air Tattoo on both days. This decision was not made lightly. It was made in the interest of those visiting or working at the event.

“We would like to take this opportunity to thank those who had been planning to attend the airshow, for their cooperation and understanding.”

The Air Tattoo has set up a helpline advising customers how to claim ticket refunds as this cannot be done from the base itself. Details of ticket refunds are available from the website at www.airtattoo.com or call the Air Tattoo Helpline on 01285 713300.
  • Interests: Su-15, Su-27, Tu-22, Tornado, RNLAF
Niels Hillebrand
MILAVIA Webmaster

Offline MightyHunter

• Flight Leader
Re: RIAT Sunday cancelled as well!
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2008, 04:20:45 AM »
Yeah buddy Im sorry you guys got close then only to find this one cX too :(

I just feel for the many charities that were to gain from this andf yet there willbe nothing , I have asked the question can we as the UK RAF have a quick fix and give a good short notice airshow , I think Farnbrough next week is the best especially Vulcan

Just a shame  :'( :'(

RIAT I think now will fell many losses on this one like the British Grand Prix , England is not getting the weather these days , like glastonbury and all that Britain is one fucked up place for good weather

Offline Webmaster

• MILAVIA Webmaster
  • Administrator
  • General of Flight
Re: RIAT Sunday cancelled as well!
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2008, 05:13:34 AM »
Like I said in the other topic, it's really sad for everyone involved. The charities definately sad, but also the small traders, tour organisers, the RAF, the teams that came all the way from South America, and the public. Big loss to every one. But it's nobody's fault, I saw some photos from the grounds and the organisers did make the right decision.

I'm afraid the bus to Farnborough is already full, so I guess I'll settle for the Sanicole air show in Belgium.

• Interests: Su-15, Su-27, Tu-22, Tornado, RNLAF
Niels Hillebrand
MILAVIA Webmaster

AVIATION TOP 100 - www.avitop.com click to vote for MILAVIA