Air Shows > Air Show News & Previews

RNLAF Open Days 2007 (Volkel AB)

<< < (2/3) > >>

Webmaster:
Hold on Ramon, other than that statement on what I'd rather see, I was talking from the air force's perspective, not from my enthusiast/photographer view. I don't underpreciate the teams. I think display teams are great, their routines are amazing and all. But I personally prefer to see other jets as well: combat aircraft. Flying such close formations with nice smoke with 6-9 aircraft is hardly what the air force is about.

Of course you use display teams to attract visitors, more visitors means more recruits and more goodwill from the taxpayer. But I just think the organizers may be putting too much emphasis on getting exotic display teams over here. It's all about promotion of course, but it's also about promotion of their country and their air force. That's why they exist in the first place. So I don't believe the US Navy Blue Angels were just here for our promotion of the open days. It's to build relationship with our military and promote the US as an ally to the military and the general public as well. We might not have carriers, but our FAC boys are talking to USN Prowlers and Hornets over Afghanistan for example. Otherwise, they could have better performed that weekend at a show in the USA. This is why I think it's impossible to get blue impulse over, apart from the logistics challenge.

Like I sad in my first post, such an exercise would be great. Even if the participants are just statics at the show. But this takes more than just have a team devoted to fill the airshow schedule with amazing displays. It's a different mindset than let's try to get a team in from the other side of the world, that we can use to attract more people. I wish we had that mindset for the air forces' sake (and we spotters/photographers would be happy as well)

We'll see what this year will bring ;-)

Ramon:
Hello all,

Looks like they have read some forums, and send out some extra invitations  ::)

Confirmed are now also:

Belgium:
- Seaking (Flying)

France:
Patrouille de France (Flying)
Breitling Jet Team (Flying)  :P

Hungaria:
- AN-26 (Static)
- Saab JAS39 Gripen (Static)

Spain:
EF-18+ Hornet (Flying)

Hope they can keep up coming with some nice updates, but the Spanish Hornet
is already a favourite for me, so I will be there  ;)

Regards, Ramon.

Webmaster:
Biele Albatrosy? From France? You mean the Breitling jet team?
Biele Albatrosy is the Slovakian L-39s team, which disbanded in 2004...

Hungary participating, great! Wouldn't mind if they also bring that Hind we saw this weekend  ;D

Ramon:

--- Quote from: Webmaster on May 15, 2007, 04:51:45 PM ---Biele Albatrosy? From France? You mean the Breitling jet team?
Biele Albatrosy is the Slovakian L-39s team, which disbanded in 2004...

Hungary participating, great! Wouldn't mind if they also bring that Hind we saw this weekend  ;D

--- End quote ---

Hello Niels,

My mistake  ::) ..........this happens after a lot of nightshifts  ;)
I mean of course the Breitling Jet team. I'm hoping also on the
Hind, but do not think they will bring it over. The Gripen is good
promotion, and the AN-26 is just here for Gripen support.

And adding to the list now also:
Germany:
- CH-53G (Static)

Great Britain:
- Boeing Chinook HC2 (Flying)

USAF:
- Boeing KC-135/R (Static)

Regards, Ramon.

Ramon:
Hello guys,

Again a very nice update in the static park  :D

Germany: