MILAVIA Forum - Military Aviation Discussion Forum

Author Topic: USAF Thunderbirds  (Read 21950 times)

Offline Webmaster

• MILAVIA Webmaster
  • Administrator
  • General of Flight
Re: USAF Thunderbirds
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2011, 10:57:27 PM »
Thanks, I guess it's just procedural then not to let it taxi?
  • Interests: Su-15, Su-27, Tu-22, Tornado, RNLAF
Niels Hillebrand
MILAVIA Webmaster

Offline F-111 C/C

• Hero of Flight
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2011, 11:51:27 PM »
Better safe than sorry. Like I said, the affected system may have left him with no wheel brakes without affecting the system pressure for the flight controls allowing him to land without incident. Taxiing with no brakes wouldn't have been smart. Sometimes, too, when a plane declares IFE, the Emergency personnel and/or Airfield Manager can decide how to best handle the situation once the aircraft is on the ground.
Wars are won by carrying the 'heavy iron' downtown!

Offline HaveBlue

• Pilot
« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2011, 09:04:25 PM »
F-111 just want to say that I've seen the Blues/Thunderbirds at least 30 times each and I have seen them perform with less than 6 aircraft several times. Once at the Sanford airshow the TBirds had one drop out of the formation, the pilot landed, switched planes and went back up and finished the routine. The most memorable time though was at Patricks AFB airshow many years ago... it was the only time I've seen the Blues and TBirds at the same show at the same time. I was expecting a great show from the Blues esp since they were on a AF base. Coming out of the Dirty Loop the #3 plane broke formation, went out over the Atlantic circling at around 10,000'. The rest of the team finished the show, landed and taxied in. After that was done the broke bird came in, took the wire at the end of the runway and shut down. They towed the #3 plane back in. I never heard what happened but if I recall correctly he didn't get his gear up after the dirty loop, dunno how that played into it.

Webmaster anytime I've ever seen the Blues or TBirds they are always and I mean always the last act. I can't imagine that they ever have an act scheduled for after the headliners :)

Offline Webmaster

• MILAVIA Webmaster
  • Administrator
  • General of Flight
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2011, 12:15:55 AM »
At Koksijde, Belgium, this year they weren't the last act. But that was probably because the show went on until dusk.  ;) But yes, they were probably last.
  • Interests: Su-15, Su-27, Tu-22, Tornado, RNLAF
Niels Hillebrand
MILAVIA Webmaster

Offline shawn a

• Hero of Flight
« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2011, 04:54:23 AM »
Saw the 'Birds and the 'Blues together at Dayton in '03, and on a solo pass one of the 'Birds seemed to have aborted the pass, with no reason being given.
("excrement" happens)
Safety First,
The 'Birds or the 'Blues are not last on the "Twilight Show" day at Miramar. Can't wait!!

AVIATION TOP 100 - www.avitop.com click to vote for MILAVIA