MILAVIA Forum - Military Aviation Discussion Forum

Author Topic: Great Book  (Read 12928 times)

Offline God Bless USA

• Flight Leader
Great Book
« on: June 03, 2008, 09:41:23 AM »
I just bought a new military book.  It is a comprehensive guide to more than 200 combat aircraft and helicopters.  Each aircraft is covered in detail, with feature boxes outlining its development, specifications, performance data and variants.  It also compares specific features like firepower, troop carring capacity and bombload to those of other aircraft of the same type.  Hardback, 448 pages.  As info the F-22 Raptor and the JSF are in this book as well.

AMERICAN MILITARY AIRCRAFT

A CENTURY OF INNOVATION

GENERAL EDITOR: JIM WINCHESTER

Offline tigershark

• News Editor
  • General of Flight
Re: Great Book
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2008, 02:58:55 AM »
Hi God Bless USA
You know I don't buy non fiction military books like the ones you listed because most of the time I can find the info and specs online but you I miss it.  Actually holding the book in your hands and turning real pages instead of looking at a monitor.  Books like that are worth every penny spent I go through every page and get a lot out of them.  Is the new Gripen in any of the books?  Are there pilot interviews?  Is there a breakdown on the worlds current air to air missiles?   

Offline God Bless USA

• Flight Leader
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2008, 12:15:09 PM »
I was lucky on this one and thats why I bought it.  It was on the Barnes & Noble Booksellers bargin bin for 19.95  Books are expensive so when I look I go to the bargin bin.  This book covers only USA aircraft from day one to today.  Pictures(3000), specs, profile, comparision to two other aircraft in the same class.  Two pages per aircraft.  It does not have total produced or total in use.
I don't buy many books.  I have purchased a half dozen new ones on sell.  A few days out of the month, I'm out of town.  Nice book to read, to unwind with.

Offline SukhoiLover

• Fighter Ace
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2008, 02:53:09 PM »
I just bought a new military book.  It is a comprehensive guide to more than 200 combat aircraft and helicopters.  Each aircraft is covered in detail, with feature boxes outlining its development, specifications, performance data and variants.  It also compares specific features like firepower, troop carring capacity and bombload to those of other aircraft of the same type.  Hardback, 448 pages.  As info the F-22 Raptor and the JSF are in this book as well.

AMERICAN MILITARY AIRCRAFT

A CENTURY OF INNOVATION

GENERAL EDITOR: JIM WINCHESTER

I have a book from that author called X-Planes, its pretty good to, i got to know some really crazy ideas like a nuclear powered bomber.
http://sukhoitribute.blogspot.com/

English version: http://sukhoitributeenglish.blogspot.com/

Pavel be proud of your legacy!!!!

Offline alyster

• Hero of Flight
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2008, 12:04:22 AM »
One of the greatest books I've read is How Effective is Strategic Bombing? Lessons Learned from World War II to Kosovo. It was by Gian P. Gentile. He was a scholar at West Point some years ago. It really stunned me. I reccomend it to everyone here.
Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes

Offline Webmaster

• MILAVIA Webmaster
  • Administrator
  • General of Flight
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2008, 03:57:03 PM »
One of the greatest books I've read is How Effective is Strategic Bombing? Lessons Learned from World War II to Kosovo. It was by Gian P. Gentile. He was a scholar at West Point some years ago. It really stunned me. I reccomend it to everyone here.

Sounds good Alyster. I also see a lot of other articles/books are referring to it.

I'll keep an eye out for that one!
  • Interests: Su-15, Su-27, Tu-22, Tornado, RNLAF
Niels Hillebrand
MILAVIA Webmaster

Offline Raptor

• General of Flight
  • What's the next big thing?
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2008, 03:24:30 AM »
I have to agree with nonpilot a book is so much more expensive... But feels so much better to hold.  ;D

Right now i'm reading the second illustrated guide to Aerodymanics... again. But my favourites would be those recognition guides...
-JCLim

Offline tigershark

• News Editor
  • General of Flight
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2008, 09:38:24 PM »
SukhoiLover in that Flanker book are there any articles about Flanker VS. Fulcrum? 

Offline iluveagles

• Veteran
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2008, 05:46:29 AM »
God Bless America, I bought that same book the other day. Along with a book called 'The History of Aviation' by Robert Jackson. Which was just $7 bucks. Both are cool books.

As for buying books, I buy as many as I can. Getting info off of the Internet is nice, but really there are not that many credible sources for this type of stuff, and even if they seem like it, that may not always be the case.

Offline tigershark

• News Editor
  • General of Flight
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2008, 09:39:13 PM »
I like reading military fiction books as well and looking for books that focus on non American fighters.   I just read a lot of books with F-14,15,16, and F/A-18s, in them and looking for a change.   Thanks

Offline Webmaster

• MILAVIA Webmaster
  • Administrator
  • General of Flight
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2008, 03:49:53 PM »
As for buying books, I buy as many as I can. Getting info off of the Internet is nice, but really there are not that many credible sources for this type of stuff, and even if they seem like it, that may not always be the case.

Sure, but I'd say be weary of the older books describing non-western fighters, remember the iron curtain. Not all books are as reliable as you might mind think, getting their info from the internet or outdated publications ;) Having said that, there are tons of good titles, most of them are still great even when some chapters may be a bit outdated.

This is however going way off topic, this entire subboard is for books, and now we're discussing it all in one topic?

Maybe it's nice to start a topic called 'My Aviation Library' where everyone lists his a/c books?
  • Interests: Su-15, Su-27, Tu-22, Tornado, RNLAF
Niels Hillebrand
MILAVIA Webmaster

Offline SukhoiLover

• Fighter Ace
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2008, 10:30:52 AM »

Maybe it's nice to start a topic called 'My Aviation Library' where everyone lists his a/c books?

Good idea, do you mind if i start such topic?
http://sukhoitribute.blogspot.com/

English version: http://sukhoitributeenglish.blogspot.com/

Pavel be proud of your legacy!!!!

AVIATION TOP 100 - www.avitop.com click to vote for MILAVIA