MILAVIA Forum - Military Aviation Discussion Forum

Author Topic: Your favourite aviation movie?  (Read 43056 times)

Offline Webmaster

• MILAVIA Webmaster
  • Administrator
  • General of Flight
Re: Your favourite aviation movie?
« Reply #36 on: October 24, 2005, 11:52:13 PM »
If you prefer Amazon.co.uk, follow this link: http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000A2XB9K/milaviamilita-21
  • Interests: Su-15, Su-27, Tu-22, Tornado, RNLAF
Niels Hillebrand
MILAVIA Webmaster

Offline Viggen

• General of Flight
  • We are not promised a tomorrow.
« Reply #37 on: October 25, 2005, 08:13:43 AM »
I´ll will wait, see if its going to be ripped. Then i can download it from torrentspy or piratebay.  >:D
  • Interests: SAAB 37 Viggen
Patrik S.

Offline RecceJet

• Fighter Ace
« Reply #38 on: October 25, 2005, 11:33:01 PM »
I´ll will wait, see if its going to be ripped. Then i can download it from torrentspy or piratebay.  >:D
Not sure if you want to be saying that on a public forum :-\

Offline Webmaster

• MILAVIA Webmaster
  • Administrator
  • General of Flight
« Reply #39 on: October 26, 2005, 12:02:06 AM »
Consider this. The more people that buy it, the more chance we have of more military aviation movies. And if they do good, hollywood will pick up on it as well...  ;) Not that I can say your purchase will influence this, but at least I get 5% from amazon which will be invested in this website. So more reason to buy  :P
Niels Hillebrand
MILAVIA Webmaster

Offline Viggen

• General of Flight
« Reply #40 on: October 26, 2005, 08:55:07 AM »
Yesterday i orderd a Viggen-documentary from a swedish site. That will cost me 360 Skr, that equals 52 $. Buying movies in Sweden is expensive, since i dont have a creditcard. I cant order from the sites outside of sweden or those who only accept creditcards.  :P

About downloading ripped versions. They cant do anything about it unless you get caught with a version on your harddrive or you´ll stupid enough to make alot of copies and sell them. Dosent matter what you say on a forum.  >:(
Patrik S.

Offline 27flyer

• Recruit
« Reply #41 on: December 05, 2005, 09:19:58 PM »
Thanks for adding it.  I saw some good ones on your list that I'll check out.
The movie trailer is at http://theaviarymovie.com/mainpage.htm
Some reviews of the movie:
http://filmthreat.com/index.php?section=reviews&Id=8193
http://www.anvilandsprocket.com/article/177

Offline Viggen

• General of Flight
« Reply #42 on: December 06, 2005, 07:57:58 AM »
Looks like Top Gun is in a massive lead with 5 votes. Actually im not surprised, its a great movie thou it is getting a bit to eighties.  ;)
Patrik S.

Offline Webmaster

• MILAVIA Webmaster
  • Administrator
  • General of Flight
« Reply #43 on: December 06, 2005, 11:26:22 AM »
By the way, what about "The Aviator" (2004)? Should be about  "Howard Hughes' career, from the late 1920s to the mid-1940s." but I stayed away from it, fearing that it is just another romantic hollywood movie with DiCaprio not really about aviation. Now looking at the trailer, I see some things I like for a movie, but I guess it shows all good exciting parts (and isn't really exciting) so maybe not that cool for an aviation point of view, but the story seems interesting....?

Anyway seen it?
Niels Hillebrand
MILAVIA Webmaster

Offline Viggen

• General of Flight
« Reply #44 on: December 06, 2005, 11:34:53 AM »
The Aviator, well i have not seen it myself. But i wanted to. Then my younger brother told me that its just romantic bullsh*t after he seen it. Not a movie for aviation-lovers, wanted me to stay away from it cuz it was just a waste of time and money.

So i guess its up to you guys to take the chance and see whats it like.  8)
Patrik S.

Offline Gripen

• General of Flight
  • WHATEVER YOUR PAST, THE FUTURE IS GRIPEN!
« Reply #45 on: October 14, 2006, 04:51:49 AM »
Top Gun is stupid

and Firefox was based on the MIG-31, when the west thought it was a new super fighter and all that stuff. i read somewhere that when FireFox came out, a Russian pilot seen it, and he just happened to have something to do with the MIG-31 project and he said "If they think that, then its better for us" becuase the plane was nothing like it is in the movie, so u could say its based on fiction but then its not- so its hard to say

another example of Amerians thinking Russian tech was better is with the Russian Alfa Class Submarine- America spent billions developing deep running torpedoes and it was wasted, the Alfa couldnt do it, and it got the name "Golden Fish" becuase they kept melting down ;)

Offline Air Marshal

• Fighter Ace
« Reply #46 on: March 12, 2008, 08:06:39 AM »
Stealth, Iron Eagle, and The Final Countdown are still my favorites.
PAKISTAN AIR FORCE (www.paffalcons.com)

FOR THOSE WHO DARE THE FUTURE IN THE SKIES

Offline RecceJet

• Fighter Ace
« Reply #47 on: March 12, 2008, 11:57:04 AM »
Top Gun is stupid

and Firefox was based on the MIG-31, when the west thought it was a new super fighter and all that stuff. i read somewhere that when FireFox came out, a Russian pilot seen it, and he just happened to have something to do with the MIG-31 project and he said "If they think that, then its better for us" becuase the plane was nothing like it is in the movie, so u could say its based on fiction but then its not- so its hard to say

another example of Amerians thinking Russian tech was better is with the Russian Alfa Class Submarine- America spent billions developing deep running torpedoes and it was wasted, the Alfa couldnt do it, and it got the name "Golden Fish" becuase they kept melting down ;)

Wasn't it the MiG-31 Foxhound that had a radar made of old fashioned valves? This seemingly obsolete feature actually ensured that it would have a radar that is immune to the EMP created from a nuclear explosion. I believe this design feature was not because the Russians weren't as advanced as the US thought, but because the MiG-31 had a specific mission and was designed accordingly. The same goes for the celestial navigation equipment onboard the early F-111s.

The F-111s had a device which was on the nose in front of the cockpit and allowed the crew to navigate by the stars in the event that an EMP took out all electronics. Old technology, maybe, but it ensured survivability.

AVIATION TOP 100 - www.avitop.com click to vote for MILAVIA