MILAVIA Forum - Military Aviation Discussion Forum

Author Topic: Women in aviation  (Read 64323 times)

Offline Webmaster

• MILAVIA Webmaster
  • Administrator
  • General of Flight
Re: Women in aviation
« Reply #24 on: July 04, 2009, 01:51:59 PM »
Came across a nice related story.

Quote from: RAF
Flying suit to fancy frock for model pilot
Thursday 2 July 2009

21 year old student pilot Jennifer Thomas is trying to keep her feet on the ground after selection as a finalist in the Miss Wales competition. Following her success in the Miss Conwy heat, she will join other regional winners to take part in the Miss Wales Grand Final at Cardiff International Arena on 18th July.

Away from her final year studies at the University of Chester, law student Jenny is an Officer Cadet with Liverpool University Air Squadron, based at RAF Woodvale, Formby. After three years at the station, Jenny said “My biggest achievement so far is flying solo in a light aircraft – I’ve had over 40 hours of instructional flying and 5 hours solo”. Taking up the Miss Wales challenge started out simply enough. “A friend entered last year, and I thought ‘I can give that a go’. It’s not just about looking good, the judges are looking for well rounded people – one of the finalists is a female fire-fighter from South Wales” Jenny added.

Physical fitness is important to Jenny, and she represents the Squadron in football, rugby, netball and hockey, as well as taking part in training expeditions to Canada and Austria. Despite this she was glad that the competition does not involve some of the pageant stereotypes, and she was quick to point out: “There is no swim suit involved!” The Final will feature an interview, and three outfits - a short dress, a Welsh flag dress and a full length evening gown. Also playing a crucial part is the public vote – the finalist with the most votes will be awarded an extra 10 points on the night. So far Jenny has been handing out flyers around RAF Woodvale and her local area, canvassing votes and trying to raise her profile.

“I really want to win this” she said. “I’m up against girls who do this for a living – I have no previous experience of this kind of thing. I was always a bit of a tomboy, and my Mum got quite teary the first time she saw me in a full length frock”. Dad Mervyn and younger brother Michael are supportive, but Mum Cheryl was not keen when Jenny first entered the competition; “She’s always taught me not to rely on looks, but then she realised that the competition overall is really about me as a person - now she’s more excited than me!” Judging at the Grand Final will mark the contestants on their confidence, poise on the catwalk, personal presentation and overall enthusiasm. Jenny has been keeping up with her fitness training to help get her in shape for the big night. “I want to give of my best – I’m only going to do this once!” she added.

The winner on the 18th July will go forward to the Miss World Competition in October. Miss Wales will also work with The Joshua Foundation, the chosen charity of the competition, helping to provide holidays and experiences for children diagnosed with terminal cancer. Whoever wins will face a jam packed schedule of events, but Jenny is determined to pursue something she has always wanted to do – she plans to apply to the Officer and Aircrew Selection Centre at RAF Cranwell before the end of the year.

ITV Wales will be filming Jenny as she takes part in adventurous training with Liverpool University Air Squadron, to be screened on the evening of 13th July.

Vote for Jenny:
Text jenniferthomas to 84205 or vote from a landline by calling 0901 656 1550 and entering her contestant number 60. All votes cost 60p plus the standard network charge. Lines close at 12pm on Friday 17th July. Full details available on http://www.misswales.co.uk/

Source: http://www.raf.mod.uk/news/archive.cfm?storyid=40C4F371-5056-A318-A884407A914CBE34
  • Interests: Su-15, Su-27, Tu-22, Tornado, RNLAF
Niels Hillebrand
MILAVIA Webmaster

Offline Viggen

• General of Flight
  • We are not promised a tomorrow.
« Reply #25 on: July 04, 2009, 05:23:04 PM »
No swimsuit....Thats too bad, hehe.   :(  ;)
  • Interests: SAAB 37 Viggen
Patrik S.

Offline AVIATOR

• Hero of Flight
  • TALLY HO CHAPS
« Reply #26 on: July 05, 2009, 01:21:16 AM »
Good post Niels. Nice chick. A chick that can fly. Rare bird.

Offline Eldorado82

• Veteran
« Reply #27 on: July 05, 2009, 06:53:57 AM »
her beauty wuld not help at all  in case of serious flying. seems that she can't fly anything beyond that light plane

blond remains a blond...
Remembering Steven "TigerShark" Zeluff

Offline AVIATOR

• Hero of Flight
  • TALLY HO CHAPS
« Reply #28 on: July 05, 2009, 11:34:02 AM »
Hang on El! Jennifer could arrive on a broom and I wouldn't knock her back. I could sit for hours with her talking romantic stuff about aviation.
Like, "What do you think of the Short Stirling bomber and it's capabilities in the lead up to the strategic bombing campaign against Germany"? Stuff like that.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2009, 11:24:14 AM by AVIATOR »

Offline Eldorado82

• Veteran
« Reply #29 on: July 05, 2009, 12:20:15 PM »
would be interesting to check her capabilities more than sweet talks:)
how it would look a blond riding F15I he he he  ;D
Remembering Steven "TigerShark" Zeluff

Offline Webmaster

• MILAVIA Webmaster
  • Administrator
  • General of Flight
« Reply #30 on: July 05, 2009, 12:58:48 PM »
seems that she can't fly anything beyond that light plane

blond remains a blond...

Read the story, Officer Cadet with Liverpool University Air Squadron...
  • Interests: Su-15, Su-27, Tu-22, Tornado, RNLAF
Niels Hillebrand
MILAVIA Webmaster

Offline panzerman

• Recruit
« Reply #31 on: February 26, 2013, 12:04:34 AM »
Hanna Reitsch of Germany deserves to be remembered as a pioneer in aviation, and a top notch test pilot. She flew most of Germanys experimental, highly advanced aircraft. She tested the Me-323 Komet, Me-262 jet fighter, the Gotha-229 "Flying Wing" slealth fighter, the V-1 missile, first helicopters. Had she flown combat, would probably given Luftwaffe Aces a run for top gun.

John 8)

AVIATION TOP 100 - www.avitop.com click to vote for MILAVIA