General Aviation > Aviation in General

Ashcloud from volcano on Iceland puts a stop to aviation.

<< < (2/3) > >>

Viggen:
I just hope this volcano stops, or there wont be any airshows here this summer.  :(

Webmaster:
The ash cloud drifted back to England, so the airspace was opened Monday evening. Yesterday was quite a busy day, with all the airlines catching up. Today, it seems normal activity here at Eindhoven airport. It sure was quiet before.

F-111 C/C:

--- Quote from: FF Admin on April 18, 2010, 08:49:40 PM ---LOL, that's funny. No such concerns here. And people don't care what this couple of non-flying days mean for the airlines... BA and also in Germany already suffered due to the strikes...

--- End quote ---

Airlines lost at least $1.7 billion in revenue during the volcanic ash crisis, an industry group said Wednesday as the debate heated up over European governments' handling of a week of airspace closures.

shawn a:
So-- the sky IS falling!
A period of unusually frequent volcanism COULD cause big problems for us all.

Webmaster:

--- Quote from: F-111 C/C on April 21, 2010, 03:36:25 PM ---
--- Quote from: FF Admin on April 18, 2010, 08:49:40 PM ---LOL, that's funny. No such concerns here. And people don't care what this couple of non-flying days mean for the airlines... BA and also in Germany already suffered due to the strikes...

--- End quote ---

Airlines lost at least $1.7 billion in revenue during the volcanic ash crisis, an industry group said Wednesday as the debate heated up over European governments' handling of a week of airspace closures.

--- End quote ---

Thanks, exactly what I was afraid for. In relation to the global airline industry, it doesn't seem much, lost 9.4 billion due to the crisis last year globally. But of course not all are affected, so this could have a big impact on at least several carriers. Sure, they saved costs by not flying... so I'm a bit surprised that it's more than the losses due to 9/11, half empty planes, I guess the difference is the cargo not flying either.
I recently saw a list of "arrivals" and "departures" in the airline industry, and they were more new airlines than those ceasing operations. I suppose there will be some more "departures" this year...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version