MILAVIA Forum - Military Aviation Discussion Forum

Author Topic: Ashcloud from volcano on Iceland puts a stop to aviation.  (Read 15587 times)

Offline Viggen

• General of Flight
  • We are not promised a tomorrow.
Ashcloud from volcano on Iceland puts a stop to aviation.
« on: April 15, 2010, 04:25:27 PM »
So a couple of European countries have stopped all their aircraft from flying because of the dangers involved. Sweden has for example even grounded the air force. So far nobody knows if this will last from hours to days/weeks or months. Its all comes down to the volcano and how the winds will be blowing.

Its a strange day, when i look up in the sky and dont see or hear any aircraft as usual.

How has your country been affected so far? Can this lead to a financial  crisis in general aviation?

Thoughts, facts and speculations are welcome.  :)
  • Interests: SAAB 37 Viggen
Patrik S.

Offline Gripen

• General of Flight
  • WHATEVER YOUR PAST, THE FUTURE IS GRIPEN!
Re: Ashcloud from volcano on Iceland puts a stop to aviation.
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2010, 05:46:58 AM »
My country's all good atm.

:P

Offline Webmaster

• MILAVIA Webmaster
  • Administrator
  • General of Flight
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2010, 12:06:10 PM »
As you probably know, Dutch airspace was totally closed as well. There was a run on Eurostar (Amsterdam-Paris) train tickets. Every hotel from Amsterdam to Rotterdam was full. I think it's supposed to reopen this afternoon? mondaymorning, they say now
« Last Edit: April 18, 2010, 11:44:01 PM by FF Admin »
  • Interests: Su-15, Su-27, Tu-22, Tornado, RNLAF
Niels Hillebrand
MILAVIA Webmaster

Offline Viggen

• General of Flight
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2010, 04:02:08 AM »
Most of north Europe has closed down its aviation. Sweden is still in the middle of it. But its the same here, people  are now forced to take the train. 

The fun part is that some people are starting to panicking, believing that if this continues we will run out of food and supplies. Some of the newspapers do their fair share of fueling this "flame". LOL!  ;D
Patrik S.

Offline Webmaster

• MILAVIA Webmaster
  • Administrator
  • General of Flight
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2010, 08:49:40 PM »
LOL, that's funny. No such concerns here. And people don't care what this couple of non-flying days mean for the airlines... BA and also in Germany already suffered due to the strikes...
Niels Hillebrand
MILAVIA Webmaster

Offline Viggen

• General of Flight
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2010, 05:36:01 AM »
I just hope this volcano stops, or there wont be any airshows here this summer.  :(
Patrik S.

Offline Webmaster

• MILAVIA Webmaster
  • Administrator
  • General of Flight
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2010, 02:49:24 PM »
The ash cloud drifted back to England, so the airspace was opened Monday evening. Yesterday was quite a busy day, with all the airlines catching up. Today, it seems normal activity here at Eindhoven airport. It sure was quiet before.
Niels Hillebrand
MILAVIA Webmaster

Offline F-111 C/C

• Hero of Flight
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2010, 03:36:25 PM »
LOL, that's funny. No such concerns here. And people don't care what this couple of non-flying days mean for the airlines... BA and also in Germany already suffered due to the strikes...

Airlines lost at least $1.7 billion in revenue during the volcanic ash crisis, an industry group said Wednesday as the debate heated up over European governments' handling of a week of airspace closures.
Wars are won by carrying the 'heavy iron' downtown!

Offline shawn a

• Hero of Flight
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2010, 11:09:45 PM »
So-- the sky IS falling!
A period of unusually frequent volcanism COULD cause big problems for us all.

Offline Webmaster

• MILAVIA Webmaster
  • Administrator
  • General of Flight
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2010, 01:44:09 AM »

Airlines lost at least $1.7 billion in revenue during the volcanic ash crisis, an industry group said Wednesday as the debate heated up over European governments' handling of a week of airspace closures.

Thanks, exactly what I was afraid for. In relation to the global airline industry, it doesn't seem much, lost 9.4 billion due to the crisis last year globally. But of course not all are affected, so this could have a big impact on at least several carriers. Sure, they saved costs by not flying... so I'm a bit surprised that it's more than the losses due to 9/11, half empty planes, I guess the difference is the cargo not flying either.
I recently saw a list of "arrivals" and "departures" in the airline industry, and they were more new airlines than those ceasing operations. I suppose there will be some more "departures" this year...
Niels Hillebrand
MILAVIA Webmaster

Offline Viggen

• General of Flight
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2010, 03:04:35 AM »
Sweden reverted to the same old question as usual. Who shall pay for the losses, the airlines or the government? Its mostly a blame game right now.

Many tourist are stuck and have to live at hotels for longer then expected. Ryanair is one company who said today, that they will not help their passengers financially due to the ash cloud-crisis.

Also, the Finnish Air Force tested  flying into the ash-cloud with both a HAWK and a F18 Hornet. Making tests to see how it affects the engines and components.
Patrik S.

Offline Viggen

• General of Flight
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2010, 07:13:12 AM »
Forgot to add the link about the Finnish air force test.  I believe the photos tells the story, dont fly into volcanic ashclouds.  :)

http://www.flightglobal.com/articles/2010/04/16/340727/pictures-finnish-f-18-engine-check-reveals-effects-of-volcanic.html
Patrik S.

AVIATION TOP 100 - www.avitop.com click to vote for MILAVIA