MILAVIA Forum - Military Aviation Discussion Forum

Author Topic: Saw an S-92 yesterday  (Read 11449 times)

Offline HaveBlue

• Pilot
Saw an S-92 yesterday
« on: October 03, 2011, 06:41:01 AM »
Flew over my house at just a few hundred feet, fast as hell... heard it long before it got here and went outside and waited.... flew DIRECTLY over my house from north to south... seen em a couple times and it never gets old to see such a rare sight.

Offline shawn a

• Hero of Flight
Re: Saw an S-92 yesterday
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2011, 10:12:59 PM »
Is that their high-speed prototype?
The one with the propeller in the rear?

Offline HaveBlue

• Pilot
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2011, 10:33:54 PM »
Is that their high-speed prototype?
The one with the propeller in the rear?

No, its their larger adaptation of the Blackhawk series, meant to compete with Sea King / Puma / Super Frelon type helo's for military and SAR missions... but was most famously in the running to replace the S-61's for Marine One... which it lost.

Offline Webmaster

• MILAVIA Webmaster
  • Administrator
  • General of Flight
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2011, 06:11:25 AM »
Sorry, I don't share your excitement, rare maybe (for now), but having become used to Cougars, Merlins, NH90s, Blackhawks and Hips even, I think this is the ugliest helicopter around. Everything seems to be out of proportion, just doesn't "look" right.
  • Interests: Su-15, Su-27, Tu-22, Tornado, RNLAF
Niels Hillebrand
MILAVIA Webmaster

Offline F-111 C/C

• Hero of Flight
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2011, 02:49:43 PM »
Sorry, I don't share your excitement, rare maybe (for now), but having become used to Cougars, Merlins, NH90s, Blackhawks and Hips even, I think this is the ugliest helicopter around. Everything seems to be out of proportion, just doesn't "look" right.

X2.
Wars are won by carrying the 'heavy iron' downtown!

Offline HaveBlue

• Pilot
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2011, 09:21:08 PM »

I never said I was excited. I like everything that flies, and appreciate seeing anything out of the norm. All we have 'usually' around here in the skies are P-3's and Seahawks from Jacksonville, C-130's and Blackhawks from Patricks and that's about it. Saw a UH-1N low leveling down the beach the other week, that was nice. Anything aside from the same o same o is fine by me. :)

Offline Webmaster

• MILAVIA Webmaster
  • Administrator
  • General of Flight
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2011, 02:23:48 AM »
Hehe, well that's true, especially if it's over your house. I'd trade your P-3 for my An-124 and Seahawks for my Chinooks.  ;)
Niels Hillebrand
MILAVIA Webmaster

Offline Webmaster

• MILAVIA Webmaster
  • Administrator
  • General of Flight
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2011, 02:25:56 AM »

X2.

Cool, so it's not just me.
Niels Hillebrand
MILAVIA Webmaster

Offline HaveBlue

• Pilot
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2011, 10:21:13 AM »
I've never seen an AN-124 so I want to see that bad, and P-3 is common fair. And I'd take a Shit Hook over a Sea Hawk any day.

AVIATION TOP 100 - www.avitop.com click to vote for MILAVIA