MILAVIA Forum - Military Aviation Discussion Forum

Author Topic: A 14 year old girl survives the aircraft crash near Madagascar  (Read 12345 times)

Offline AVIATOR

• Hero of Flight
  • TALLY HO CHAPS
Absolutely unbelievable survival story

A 14-year-old girl is so far the only survivor of a plane crash off the Comoros Islands near Madagascar yesterday, in which more than 150 people are feared dead.

Initial reports from the crash site indicated that a child had miraculously survived the catastrophe.

Rescuers then revealed that a teenager had indeed been found alive, floating among the wreckage of the Airbus A310 plane.

"The girl, aged 14, has arrived at the El Maarouf hospital. We were told that her condition is not worrisome," Red Cross spokeswoman Ramulati Ben Ali said.

A man identified as one of the girl's rescuers told France's Europe 1 radio the teenager was seen swimming in choppy waters in the middle of bodies and plane debris around 4:00am
"We tried to throw a life buoy. She could not grab it. I had to jump in the water to get her," the rescuer said.

« Last Edit: August 21, 2009, 12:38:30 AM by AVIATOR »

Offline AVIATOR

• Hero of Flight
  • TALLY HO CHAPS
Re: A 14 year old girl survives the aircraft crash near Madagascar
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2009, 11:19:02 AM »
One of the black box flight recorders from the Yemenia jet which crashed off the Comoros has been located and efforts to retrieve it will begin tomorrow, the French government says.

"The black box's signal was located yesterday at 4.30 pm local time (10am AEST today) by an aerial patrol, 40 km from Grande Comore," said Cooperation Minister Alain Joyandet, quoted by a spokeswoman.

A French patrol ship, the Rieuse, was to arrive on site later Wednesday to start operations to recover the flight recorder.

La Rieuse

« Last Edit: August 21, 2009, 12:38:13 AM by AVIATOR »

Offline SukhoiLover

• Fighter Ace
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2009, 02:21:31 PM »
There where severe failures detected on this plane in 2007, actually it was forbidden to fly in European airspace, however the company kept using it...

The pilot was found alive as well.

http://sukhoitribute.blogspot.com/

English version: http://sukhoitributeenglish.blogspot.com/

Pavel be proud of your legacy!!!!

Offline Viggen

• General of Flight
  • We are not promised a tomorrow.
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2009, 03:08:09 PM »
I also read that many seats did not have seatbelts. Atleast there are some survivors, wish all could of survived but as long the civil aviation industry keeps taking short cuts and only think of making profits. This will not go away.

Tragic accidents like these always come in three. Two down, one to go.  :(
  • Interests: SAAB 37 Viggen
Patrik S.

Offline SukhoiLover

• Fighter Ace
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2009, 03:31:58 PM »
What is getting me worried is Airbus.

I know that Airbus has an excellent safety record, much better than Boeing´s, and i know this accident in special has nothing to do with flaws on the plane design but rather the desire for money of this almost Third World Company.

However the public in general doesn´t give a sh*t about aviation, what they know is what the news channels tell them, which is: DISINFORMATION.

Thats why i´m worried about this, the general dumb and misinformed public will start thinking that Airbuses are unsafe when that is not true, and this might have severe consequences to Airbus.

The only people who must be jumping with joy right now is Boeing´s CEO and its investors.

May their souls rest in peace and the family's find the strength needed to go trough this.

Offline AVIATOR

• Hero of Flight
  • TALLY HO CHAPS
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2009, 01:38:34 AM »
The aircraft in question was a piece of junk Suck, and it was operated by an airlines that myself and most others won't be using for our trip overseas.
I think that the world knows that this isn't normal for the much respected Airbus.

The EU and France have both said they highlighted safety concerns over Yemenia planes and said the jet that crashed had not flown into EU airspace since 2007.

But no official cause for the crash has yet been found. Earlier on Wednesday a French government minister in the Comoros capital, Moroni, said that a detected signal thought to be from one of the plane's "black box" flight recorders was in fact a distress beacon.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2009, 12:37:59 AM by AVIATOR »

Offline SukhoiLover

• Fighter Ace
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2009, 01:59:44 PM »
The aircraft in question was a piece of junk Suck, and it was operated by an airlines that myself and most others won't be using for our trip overseas.
I think that the world knows that this isn't normal for the much respected Airbus.

Well, you´re wrong, you and i know that but the world doesn´t, the perfected example is the comments i saw from people on the news channels websites, things like:

"Another Airbus? Start getting Boeings!"

"TAP uses Airbus, i hope they get Boeings soon."

And crap like that, so i´m really worried about Airbus, i hope nothing serious happens to them.

Offline Viggen

• General of Flight
  • We are not promised a tomorrow.
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2009, 02:42:38 PM »
If a company neglects servicing its aircraft, dosent matter if they bought Airbuses or Boeings. They will eventually fall out of the sky.
  • Interests: SAAB 37 Viggen
Patrik S.

Offline AVIATOR

• Hero of Flight
  • TALLY HO CHAPS
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2009, 03:37:34 PM »
What you are reading Suck is dirty crap that is written by journalists to sell dirty newspapers.

As far as I can see from reading the reports, the crash seems to be a combination of bad weather and pilot error.
The aircraft was 'going around'  for the second or third time in bad conditions and went into the sea in poor visibility.
We will in fact never know if mechanical failure was a third factor.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2009, 12:37:33 AM by AVIATOR »

Offline SukhoiLover

• Fighter Ace
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2009, 06:16:34 PM »
What you are reading Suck is dirty crap that is written by journalists to sell dirty newspapers.

As far as I can see from reading the reports, the crash seems to be a combination of bad weather and pilot error.
The aircraft was 'going around'  for the second or third time in bad conditions and went into the sea in poor visibility.
We will in fact never know if mechanical failure was a third factor.

Yeah i know its dirty news papers crap, but i read a lot about aviation and i know a lot about aviation.

But does the general public know what i know? They don´t.

Thats what is worrying me, i see a lot of people saying that they won´t put their feet inside an Airbus even if they are paid for that. This might have severe consequences to Airbus in the near future, and all because people don´t give a sh*t about doing some research on what is said on the news papers.

My point is, i would go inside and Airbus, no problem, because i know theres nothing wrong with them.

But my neighbors probably wouldn´t, because all they know is what this dirty news papers are saying.

Actually, if i was heading Airbus right now, i would consider processing some of these news companies because what they are doing right now, at least in my country, is defamation of a respectful company.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2009, 06:22:08 PM by SukhoiLover »

Offline AVIATOR

• Hero of Flight
  • TALLY HO CHAPS
Air France Atlantic Black Box Search Ends
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2009, 12:37:07 AM »
August 20, 2009

"The search has not been able to locate the wreck of the plane," -- France's air investigators, BEA.
French submarines have halted their search for the flight recorders of an Air France jet that crashed into the Atlantic on June 1, killing all 228 people aboard, investigators said on Thursday.

"The search has not been able to locate the wreck of the plane," France's BEA air investigators said in a statement.

However, the BEA indicated it had not lost all hope of finding the so-called black boxes and said a team of international experts would meet in the coming weeks to decide how best to continue the search process.

Despite the fact the flight recorders have not been found, investigators have stitched together information gleaned from a final burst of automated messages sent by the plane just before disaster struck, and from debris recovered in the sea.

The Air France plane was flying from Rio de Janeiro to Paris when it crashed into the Atlantic Ocean not far from the equator after hitting a powerful storm.

The final messages showed sensors on the Airbus A330 were providing incoherent speed readings, sparking speculation that the pilots might have inadvertently stalled the jet.

Airbus has since urged clients to switch speed sensors on about 200 similar planes, replacing equipment made by Thales with parts supplied by Goodrich.

The plane plunged into a very remote part of the ocean and experts said the wreckage could have fallen to a depth of anywhere between 864 and 4,000 metres (2,835 and 13,120 feet), making any search extremely difficult.

Just as the hunt for the Air France wreck was wound down, French authorities announced that a boat with an underwater robot had arrived at the place where a Yemeni jet had crashed into the Indian Ocean on June 30, killing 152 people.

The French foreign ministry said the robot would be used to try to recover the black boxes of the Airbus A310-300 which crashed in bad weather off the Comoros archipelago.

A French submarine detected a signal from the plane's flight recorders in July and the underwater robot will now be used to try to locate the precise site and extract the recorders.

Officials say the cause of the crash remains unknown.

The plane was flying the final leg of a trip from France to Comoros, via Yemen. Only one person, a 14-year-old-girl, survived the crash.

Offline AVIATOR

• Hero of Flight
  • TALLY HO CHAPS
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2009, 01:59:23 AM »
Flight data recorder found Sat Aug 29

Investigators have retrieved the slightly damaged flight data recorder and 10 more bodies from a Yemenia Airways flight that crashed into the Indian Ocean on June 30, officials say.

The black box was found on Friday underwater off the coast of the island nation's capital, Moroni, according to the Comoros-based aviation investigation team. No details were provided about the other black box containing the voice recorder.

Interior Minister Bourhane Hamidou said the black box found on Friday is slightly damaged.

Red Cross co-ordinator Abdourhamane Bacari said 10 more bodies were found on the seafloor - in addition to the 27 bodies already recovered.

In July, a French naval ship detected signal beacons from the flight data and cockpit recorders - key to determining the cause of the crash - at depths of 3,900 feet (1,200 metres) about nine miles (15 kilometres) northwest of Grand Comoros island. However the ship lacked the deep sea diving equipment needed to retrieve them.

A French ship carrying a special underwater robot arrived at the site on August 20 to continue the search for the black boxes and other plane debris.

The robot is fitted with propellers and a mechanical arm that can retrieve debris from the ocean floor. It has a specially designed metal casing up to an inch thick that protects its electrical components at pressures as low as 19,700 feet (6,000 metres) underwater. The robot also has remote-controlled cameras and sonar.

An examination of the recovered flight data recorder should help resolve the dispute. Aviation experts from France, Yemen and Comoros are participating in the investigation.

AVIATION TOP 100 - www.avitop.com click to vote for MILAVIA