General Aviation > Civil Aviation News

Airline Asks Passengers to Empty Bladders Before Boarding Flights

(1/3) > >>

AVIATOR:
ONLY IN JAPAN

Japan's All Nippon Airways is Trying to Reduce Weight on Environmentally-Friendly Flights.

Just when you thought airlines couldn't do anything else to lighten the load, here comes a new idea: Japan's All Nippon Airways is now asking passengers on select flights to empty their bladders before boarding.
Japan's All Nippon Airways, or ANA, is now asking passengers on select flights to go to the bathroom and empty their bladders before boarding the airplane.

That's right: at the gate ANA staffers encourage fliers to make that one final dash to the restroom to expel some of that extra weight.

"If the flight is lighter, we use less gasoline which is good for the environment," ANA North America spokeswoman Jean Saito told ABC News.

It might not seem like much, but the human bladder can hold up to 16 ounces before the urge to urinate. That's about 1.1 pounds of fluid. If all 216 passengers on an ANA Boeing 767 had pretty full bladders, that extra urine would weigh about 240 pounds.

Just add it to the list of weight and cost-saving cuts the airline industry has made recently. Airlines have already taken away blankets, magazines and even televisions on flights all in the name of reducing weight to save fuel and of course money.

A saving of 240 pounds? What's that, about 110 Kg or something. Wow this is going to clean up the world's environment fast.

This brings a whole new meaning to the phrase "Guilt trip" when you leave that seat in front of hundreds of greeny Japanese and head for that toilet on board.

Webmaster:
Michael O'Leary must be saying to himself now, "stupid Japanese, now they can't turn a profit on the onboard toilets."

--- Quote from: AVIATOR on October 28, 2009, 11:02:02 PM ---A saving of 240 pounds? What's that, about 110 Kg or something. Wow this is going to clean up the world's environment fast.

--- End quote ---

One fat person onboard, and it's all been for nothing.  :-X  Ow, can't say that I suppose... :laugh:

AVIATOR:
That brings up a pretty big point.
Virtually every second person now is fat. Many so big that they can't fit into the seats. Like dames that are 300 pound.
My question is.......... Just what is the margin allowed these days for each human seated on board when they work out operational weights for airliners?
Back in the sixties when the 747s first flew people were half the size they are now.

Holiday shots in Bali.

Webmaster:
I'm not sure, I think they still work with a 80kg average (175 pounds).

Gripen:
Do they count the luggage of each person as part of the person or is it completely separate?

Like: Person (85kg) + luggage (say 20kg) = 105kg per person?

What happens if there's like an anorexic chick or someone really light, do they still count as 85kg?

What if there's like a person with no arms or legs or only 1 of each, do they count as a...full person (no offence intended, but I couldn't think of a another word to describe it)

:D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version