MILAVIA Forum - Military Aviation Discussion Forum

Author Topic: Standing room only flying Ryanair  (Read 17681 times)

Offline AVIATOR

• Hero of Flight
  • TALLY HO CHAPS
Standing room only flying Ryanair
« on: July 07, 2009, 02:03:28 AM »
Stool pigeons

Budget Irish airline Ryanair wants to make passengers stand up during its flights so it can cram more people on board.

Instead of regular seats, passengers will be allocated stools where they can perch with seatbelts around their waists, the UK's Daily Mail newspaper reports.

Ryanair chief executive Michael O'Leary is holding discussions with US plane manufacturer Boeing about designing a plane with standing room.

The move is expected to save the air carrier 20 per cent in costs and allow it to fit 30 per cent more passengers on its planes.

It is just the latest in a series of extreme cost cutting measures planned by Ryanair, which last month announced passengers will soon have to carry their own luggage up to the aeroplane.

The company is also reconsidering a controversial plan to charge customers for using bathrooms on its planes.

Anyone want to stand next to me?

« Last Edit: July 08, 2009, 12:23:48 PM by AVIATOR »

Offline SukhoiLover

• Fighter Ace
Re: Standing room only flying Ryanair
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2009, 03:06:49 PM »
These people are crazy, what about safety ??? ???

http://sukhoitribute.blogspot.com/

English version: http://sukhoitributeenglish.blogspot.com/

Pavel be proud of your legacy!!!!

Offline AVIATOR

• Hero of Flight
  • TALLY HO CHAPS
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2009, 03:08:15 PM »
Remember it's Ireland Suck. I know one thing, DCA would not allow that in Australia.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2009, 12:24:09 PM by AVIATOR »

Offline SukhoiLover

• Fighter Ace
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2009, 03:19:10 PM »
Remember it's Ireland Suck. I know one thing, DCA would not allow that in Australia.

FAA shouldn´t allow it, its a crazy idea.

Offline F-111 C/C

• Hero of Flight
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2009, 03:50:12 PM »
I heard David Letterman talking about it last night and thought he was joking! Then again, if anybody thinks they'd have a better chance of surviving a plane crash sitting down as opposed to standing, you need to think again. I would think the added weight would be more of an issue.
Wars are won by carrying the 'heavy iron' downtown!

Offline AVIATOR

• Hero of Flight
  • TALLY HO CHAPS
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2009, 03:53:35 PM »
I don't know about that Aardvark. Having a seat wrapped around you seems a lot more protective than standing.
Look at the Martin Baker ejection seat for instance and how protective that became from just climbing over the side.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2009, 12:24:32 PM by AVIATOR »

Offline F-111 C/C

• Hero of Flight
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2009, 04:25:49 PM »
I'm talking about an airliner crashing with hundreds of people on board. You'll be deader than dead regardless of if you were sitting, standing, lying down, whatever. No ejection seats on commercial aircraft, if that things going down, there's nothing your gonna do about it.

Offline SukhoiLover

• Fighter Ace
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2009, 05:13:49 PM »
I'm talking about an airliner crashing with hundreds of people on board. You'll be deader than dead regardless of if you were sitting, standing, lying down, whatever. No ejection seats on commercial aircraft, if that things going down, there's nothing your gonna do about it.

Yes but if you can increase your chances of survival than why not doing it?

I mean, i really don´t think this idea will work.

Theres also another thing, airplanes have operational weight limits, you can´t just fill the plane up with people, you must worry about the weigh and the weight issues that might come from this measure.

Offline F-111 C/C

• Hero of Flight
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2009, 05:21:42 PM »

Yes but if you can increase your chances of survival than why not doing it?

I mean, i really don´t think this idea will work.

Theres also another thing, airplanes have operational weight limits, you can´t just fill the plane up with people, you must worry about the weigh and the weight issues that might come from this measure.

Yeah, that was my concern as well, the extra weight.

Offline Webmaster

• MILAVIA Webmaster
  • Administrator
  • General of Flight
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2009, 05:33:41 PM »
Ryan Air will then just solve that weight problem by no longer allowing any luggage, just your toothbrush, ah yeah and their fat-tax of course will help of course.

Last month, Mr O'Leary suggested he could start charging for sick bags. That thought came in the wake of a suggestion that the firm could start charging up to a Euro a time for visits to the toilet.

If he keeps this up, then the normal aviation companies will start to look good again. Decent leg room and an airport not 100 miles away from where I need to be is enough for me to seek other airlines than RyanAir... and I am happy to pay more for it, as the additional fees and fares resulting from a RyanAir flight often add up to about as much.

• Interests: Su-15, Su-27, Tu-22, Tornado, RNLAF
Niels Hillebrand
MILAVIA Webmaster

Offline F-111 C/C

• Hero of Flight
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2009, 07:29:56 PM »
I agree. The airlines in the 'states' are still pretty resonable when you consider we can bring luggage, sit down comfortably and not have to pay to visit the toilet. I'm willing to pay a little extra.

Offline AVIATOR

• Hero of Flight
  • TALLY HO CHAPS
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2009, 12:35:40 AM »
Trouble is, they are all either bankrupt or going into bankruptcy. I guess RyanAir are grabbing at desperate measures.

Don't forget in discussion about weight saving what hundreds of seats themselves weigh. A modern airline seat probably weighs as much as a small person.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2009, 12:24:52 PM by AVIATOR »

AVIATION TOP 100 - www.avitop.com click to vote for MILAVIA