Military Aviation > Defence in General

25 years ago

<< < (3/8) > >>

Globetrotter:

--- Quote from: Gripen on April 06, 2007, 05:20:43 AM ---How many Brits were killed on the Shefield and the Atlantic Conveyor?

--- End quote ---

I don't know, but it was not my point to martirize the Argentines only; as we were talking about the Belgrano, I just told you one more piece of info.
Anyway, I am sure there weren't as many people there as there was on the Belgrano.
I'll investigate

Valiant1:
I was a young teen and I followed that war.  The point of war is that ... there is no point.  I understand how you feel, Globe and I respect that your country sees it as your land.  The Brits see it a different way.  Unfortunately, there's no compromise, nor will there be any in the forseeable future. 

The only thing we can do is honor those who died in battle. 

Globetrotter:
hmmm! How I wish I could speak :-X

Webmaster:

--- Quote from: Valiant1 on April 08, 2007, 05:39:37 AM ---
The only thing we can do is honor those who died in battle. 

--- End quote ---

Well to step away from the grim aspects and avoid politics, we can also look what it meant on technological level and lessons learned. The Sea Harrier proved itself, the newer version of the AIM-9 Sidewinder proved lethal, the Exocet anti-missile proved itself and also the Pucara, which is still an important asset for CAS/COIN. Not to mention the experience of using aerial tankers to extend the range of bombers. The Brits probably also learned from that blue-on-blue SAM engagement.

Globetrotter:
Thanks Webmaster to find out a way to skip politics, as I wouldn0t have resisted much...

Ok, about the statement of  "The Sea Harrier proved itself" I am afraid I can't fully agree with you, because each of the combats that happened were in the envelope of flight that was favourable to that airplane. I am sure that if the combats were in mid to high altitudes, it would have been different, even though we all now that the Mirage III is not a dogfighter. So this shows that British pilots were better trained than Argentines, cause they dragged their enemies to where they had vantages.

I will continue later, cause there is a lot to talk about ;D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version