Military Aviation > Defence in General

25 years ago

<< < (5/8) > >>

Gripen:
Then the Argentines would turn to Sovs, the US would get the shits big time and attack the Sovs. World War 4!

Globetrotter:
That means that you think I am telling bullsh...???!! :o

Gripen:
nope, thats what the Cubans did. It happens. Soviet Russia always chose people because they knew it would annoy america.. i believe you

Webmaster:
Well, don't think the UK would deploy nuclear weapons that easily. Maybe after huge loss of life, or at least prospects of huge loss of life. No, they would maybe have invaded Argentina, with such a coastline and losses in the war, British would have invaded a lot of the country to force a surrender of the islands. The US never deployed nuclear weapons in their cold war "regional conflicts", not did the Soviet, I think compared to these parties the UK was more rational.

I tend to agree it was a lost war, or at least a very short sighted one. There was a tiny chance of the UK having difficult deploying troops such a long way from home, and would have given up the islands to avoid conflict... but considering the UK's government, the Argentine government made a bad judgement call. I think it didn't help Argentina to get the islands back at all, without the war, maybe something would have been settled by now, but now the UK has fought for it so recently... not likely. But I think Argentina has more pressing concerns now than a couple of Islands.

Now let's go back to the facts, instead of this hypothetical/political talk.

About the Vulcans, they were put into action largely as a deterrent, in the same way Lybia and Iraq did with their Tu-22s. Making a statement. Conventional bombing, although not very effective with these bombers, sends the message that they are in theatre and mean business.

Globetrotter:
Ok, about the conventional bombing with Vulcans... there is something I can tell you, I know that most of you, if not all, won't believe it, but I guess I don't loose anything telling you.

The Puerto Argentino Airbase, that was the target of many missions, was never hit, not even once.
The Argentines used a trick against the Brits. Argentines put "mountains" of dirt on the sequence of the bombs would make, so that satellite or recc planes would see that they have made the runway out of service. But when they saw the Pucaras, that took off from P.A., they went back and bombed... but we did the same again.

I know it must be difficult for you to believe.....

And the Vulcans, they said that was better if they were shot down here that if they had to pay the fuel for them to go back to the junk yard... cause they were very near the end of their lifes

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version