MILAVIA Forum - Military Aviation Discussion Forum

Author Topic: A story more important than Michael Jackson  (Read 5120 times)

Offline AVIATOR

• Hero of Flight
  • TALLY HO CHAPS
A story more important than Michael Jackson
« on: June 29, 2009, 01:22:10 AM »
A Good Day for the Corps

Don’t look for this kind of reporting in Obamaworld News Network (CBS, NBC, ABC, CNN).
 Outnumbered 8-1: 'A good day for the Corps,

By Peter Bronson"

Our vehicles came under a barrage of enemy RPG's (rocket propelled grenades) and machine gun fire.  One of our Humvees was disabled from RPG fire, and the Marines inside dismounted and laid down suppression fire so they could evacuate a Marine who was knocked unconscious from the blast."

That's not from an episode of The Unit or 24. It's not from an anti-war movie.  It's not from any newspaper or TV news reports I could find.  The quote comes from a "designated marksman who requested to remain unidentified."   He was reporting what happened recently in the city of Shewan , Afghanistan .

The story was told in a Marine Corps News report by Cpl. James M. Mercure.  It will give you goose bumps and make you want to stand up and salute the nearest flag.  Here's more, because it's a lot better than anything I could write today:  "The day started out with a 10-kilometer patrol with elements mounted and dismounted, so by the time we got to Shewan, we were pretty beat," the marksman said, Mercure reported.  

"Shewan had been a thorn in the side of Task Force 2d Battalion, 7th Marine Regiment, Special Purpose Marine Air Ground Task Force Afghanistan throughout the Marines deployment here in support of Operation Enduring Freedom, because it controls an important supply route into the Bala Baluk district.  Opening the route was key to continuing combat operations in the area."  

"The vicious attack that left the Humvee destroyed and several of the Marines pinned down in the kill zone sparked an intense eight-hour battle as the platoon desperately fought to recover their comrades. After recovering the Marines trapped in the kill zone, another platoon sergeant personally led numerous attacks on enemy fortified positions while the platoon fought house to house and trench to trench in order to clear through the enemy ambush site.”  

“The biggest thing to take from that day is what Marines can accomplish when they're given the opportunity to fight,” the sniper said.  A small group of Marines met a numerically superior force and embarrassed them in their own backyard."

"The insurgents told the townspeople that they were stronger than the Americans, and that day we showed them they were wrong." '"During the battle, the designated marksman single handedly thwarted a company-sized enemy RPG and machine gun ambush by reportedly killing 20 enemy fighters with his devastatingly accurate precision fire."  "He selflessly exposed himself time and again to intense enemy fire during a critical point in the eight-hour battle for Shewan in order to kill any enemy combatants who attempted to engage or maneuver on the Marines in the kill zone. "What made his actions even more impressive was the fact that he didn't miss any shots, despite the 0D enemy's rounds impacting within a foot of his fighting position."  

"I was in my own little world,” the young corporal said.  “I wasn't even aware of a lot of the rounds impacting near my position, because I was concentrating so hard on making sure my rounds were on target."  "After calling for close-air support, the small group of Marines pushed forward and broke the enemy's spirit as many of them dropped their weapons and fled the battlefield."  

"At the end of the battle, the Marines had reduced an enemy stronghold, killed more than 50 insurgents and wounded several more."  "I didn't realize how many bad guys there were until we had broken through the enemy's lines and forced them to retreat.  It was roughly 250 insurgents against 30 of us,” the corporal said.   “It was a good day for the Marine Corps.  We killed a lot of bad guys, and none of our guys were seriously injured."  

Such an amazing story of heroism and victory would have been on Page One in every paper in the country during World War II.  Just 30 Marines giving eight hours of hell to 250 insurgents is the kind of story that would make a good movie - if that kind of movie still could be made. But these days, it did not even make Page 10.  I couldn't find a story about it anywhere.  The only mentions were on conservative blogs and military Web sites.

The soldiers who are fighting for their lives and our country might as well be in another dimension.  News from the battlefronts in Iraq and Afghanistan is apparently not important.  It reminds the jaded anti-war crowd that they were wrong. We're winning.  It reminds a self-centered nation that some Americans are making sacrifices much bigger than a loss in their 401K's.  So we don't hear about it.  But we need to hear news like that, because a good day for the Marine Corps is a good day for freedom.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2009, 01:35:42 AM by AVIATOR »

Offline shawn a

• Hero of Flight
Re: A story more important than Michael Jackson
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2009, 05:05:29 AM »
Excellent posting, Aviator.
I have a nephew who was in the Marines, and is now an Emergency Medical Technician back home, just raising his kids, and teaching them respect for those in uniform.
My best friend's son is in the Marines now, learning to fly helicopters. I hold them both in the highest regard.
It is truly sad what the mainstream, and not-so-mainstream, media consider news.
Real good post.
Shawn a.

Offline AVIATOR

• Hero of Flight
  • TALLY HO CHAPS
Re: A story more important than Michael Jackson
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2009, 01:51:47 AM »
Glad you could read it Shawn.
In fact I have three nephews in Afghanistan. One is a trainee load master on a C-17, and the other two are army.

AVIATION TOP 100 - www.avitop.com click to vote for MILAVIA