MILAVIA Forum - Military Aviation Discussion Forum

Author Topic: Chinese incursions into Japanese airspace totaled 22 last year  (Read 7249 times)

Offline tigershark

• News Editor
  • General of Flight
Chinese incursions into Japanese airspace totaled 22 last year
« on: October 09, 2007, 07:43:00 PM »
Quote: Chinese incursions into Japanese airspace totaled 107 in fiscal 2005, compared to zero in 2002, though the number fell to 22 last year.   I had no idea China had so many incursions in Japan's airspace do they scramble fighters every time?    Maybe moving F-15s to Okinawa is really needed.

Link
http://www.iht.com/articles/ap/2007/10/09/asia/AS-GEN-Japan-Defense.php

Offline BigsWick

• Pilot
Re: Chinese incursions into Japanese airspace totaled 22 last year
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2007, 07:40:13 PM »
Interesting article. I wonder how well the Japanese F-4s would fare against the Chinese fighters?

Offline tigershark

• News Editor
  • General of Flight
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2007, 12:40:39 AM »
I don't recall reading what Chinese fighters were involved but if Japans F-4 had upgraded radar's and Slammers supported by AWACS there might have faired well in certain set ups.    Groups of Chinese Flankers vs. groups of F4s I'll put my money on the Flankers but I don't think that was the case.   Any Chinese fighter operating near Japan would either be low on fuel and or have tankers in the area.   Does NK let China use any bases or ports for their military looking at Google maps, Japan is north of China.    Or does NK allow China's AF to just over fly that little section of land?   It looks around 400/500 miles to reach Japan from most parts of NK for Flankers carrying drop tanks and a med/light load very doable.   

Offline WRCKid

• Veteran
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2007, 08:17:54 PM »
Why would china want to violate Japan's airspace? what purpose does it have? just to show that their fighters can make it?

Offline Webmaster

• MILAVIA Webmaster
  • Administrator
  • General of Flight
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2007, 12:18:35 AM »
It's way more south than North Korea. And no, I don't think they'll allow it. Also, it's so close to South Korea and Russia they are bound to be intercepted along the way. No, I think we're talking only about the south end here. I don't think Japanese airspace incursions were planned, as WRCkid says, why would they want to do that. But it's pretty close to Taiwan... may just stray into Japanese airspace accidently, but also Okinawa is home to US forces in the region. So if China would try anything against Taiwan, it would need to counter any US response launched from Okinawa.

The H-6 has a range in excess of 3000 miles. The F-8s have 700-800 miles range, so with air refuelling...
  • Interests: Su-15, Su-27, Tu-22, Tornado, RNLAF
Niels Hillebrand
MILAVIA Webmaster

Offline Gripen

• General of Flight
  • WHATEVER YOUR PAST, THE FUTURE IS GRIPEN!
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2007, 02:20:05 AM »
Theres a point on the Chinese coast 29.60miles (29d 04'51" N 130d 40'20.08" E ) near Shanghai that is exactly 530.95m to Fukuoka, so, if im reading this right, if Chinese planes took from somewhere around the point near Shanghai, they would be able to get to Fukuoka, and half way back before they need refuelling, but if they cut the Fukouka out and just bombed the crap out of nothing at Fukuo-jima, then they should be able to make it back to where they took off from, if not, then they could air-air refuel close to the Chinese coast. (theres a whole bunch of islands 78 miles closer to Japan then where they took off from...

Its possible.. that they were on purpose....but unlikely?

AVIATION TOP 100 - www.avitop.com click to vote for MILAVIA