MILAVIA Forum - Military Aviation Discussion Forum

Author Topic: Combat rifle discussions  (Read 10931 times)

Offline Viggen

• General of Flight
  • We are not promised a tomorrow.
Combat rifle discussions
« on: April 25, 2009, 04:46:04 PM »
Here we go, promote your favourite rifle or just discuss the diffrences between the combat rifles used.  :)
  • Interests: SAAB 37 Viggen
Patrik S.

Offline Viggen

• General of Flight
Re: Combat rifle discussions
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2009, 04:54:57 PM »
"Alyster: Yeah I understand that, but mid range sniper is not exactly what I had in mind for infrantry's standard issue rifel. When we're well dug in it's quite useful, but if we have to move? And we do move all the time. Such weapon can not be fired well when one knee is down, it can not be fired at all when standing. Upgraded Ak-4 is another thing that would cut our mobility.

However when talking about upgrades I'd rather use a Galil again with nightvision. These 2 weapons are from different generations for me.

Also that reminds me, upgraded Ak-4 is almost as heavy as Carl Gustav M3! "

I have never used a Galil, so i take your word for it. If you belive its a better rifle then the AK4 then it probably is, since you have used both of them and could compare. :)

My point was just that even if its an old and heavy rifle, it still have some great use on the modern battlefield if you modifie it the right way.

Patrik S.

Offline alyster

• Hero of Flight
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2009, 05:32:03 PM »
I understand you. Also our upgrades includes legs for the weapon, so indeed it becomes mid range sniper. However it can be used that way in very limited battles, in defence mainly, when we're well dug in.

This picture is taken of a Swedish Ak-4, but ours look alike.

Our troops who are deployed to Afganistan or were deployed to Iraq used only Galil for assult rifel. So most of the army rather prefers a Galil. It's only problem is that it's not Russian made. Israelis make its' parts so so accurate(unlike how Russians make Kalashnikovs), so if the weapon has heated up with about 10 mags, you hear how parts start to jam, b/c of thermal expansion. Other infantry weapons deployed in Afganistan are Carl Gustav M2 and MG-3. Mg-3 would have had an alternative of KSP-58, Gustav really doesn't have an alternative, only chinese made RPG (named M-69) or AT-4, but Gustav is still better, just M2 is very heavy. I think we ought to buy M3 for elite units.

Sometimes I have the feeling like I would serve in the Swedish army. So much of the equipment is Swedish origin. But then again everything seems to work just fine, if only we could buy Ak-5 instead of Ak-4. Although there is some hope to get new assult rifels in upcoming years. BTW did you use the Ak-5. How was it?
Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes

Offline Gripen

• General of Flight
  • WHATEVER YOUR PAST, THE FUTURE IS GRIPEN!
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2009, 01:22:56 PM »
I'm a fan of the H&K G36, all the models including the MG-36... I dont know what it is, it just looks futuristic y'know...

Offline Viggen

• General of Flight
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2009, 07:01:29 PM »
I understand you. Also our upgrades includes legs for the weapon, so indeed it becomes mid range sniper. However it can be used that way in very limited battles, in defence mainly, when we're well dug in.

This picture is taken of a Swedish Ak-4, but ours look alike.

Our troops who are deployed to Afganistan or were deployed to Iraq used only Galil for assult rifel. So most of the army rather prefers a Galil. It's only problem is that it's not Russian made. Israelis make its' parts so so accurate(unlike how Russians make Kalashnikovs), so if the weapon has heated up with about 10 mags, you hear how parts start to jam, b/c of thermal expansion. Other infantry weapons deployed in Afganistan are Carl Gustav M2 and MG-3. Mg-3 would have had an alternative of KSP-58, Gustav really doesn't have an alternative, only chinese made RPG (named M-69) or AT-4, but Gustav is still better, just M2 is very heavy. I think we ought to buy M3 for elite units.

Sometimes I have the feeling like I would serve in the Swedish army. So much of the equipment is Swedish origin. But then again everything seems to work just fine, if only we could buy Ak-5 instead of Ak-4. Although there is some hope to get new assult rifels in upcoming years. BTW did you use the Ak-5. How was it?

Straight off, the AK5 is a better weapon then the AK4. You can actually aim and hit your targets when fireing at full auto, also it does not overheat as fast. In Sweden we had in my time, three versions: AK5 (standard with iron sights), AK5B (scoped) and the AK5C (The M203 grenade launcher attached).

The recoil is next to nothing compared to the Ak4. With the standard iron sights i had no trouble fireing accuratly at distances up to 300 meters. (One strange thing thoug, is that the sights are set for 250m and 400m. Had to choose either one. So we centerd our sights at 100m and 300m.) Beyond that you really needed the scoped version. One bad thing i heard about the AK5, (though it never happend to me) is that that many had problems with the magazines. They just broke in the bottom.

It was a bit clumpsy when we had CQB, clearing room by room inside the mountain. The barrel is long and  it got a bit complicated getting around corners trying to put the sights on target in a fast motion.  :)
« Last Edit: April 26, 2009, 07:14:28 PM by Viggen »
Patrik S.

Offline Webmaster

• MILAVIA Webmaster
  • Administrator
  • General of Flight
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2009, 03:51:24 AM »
I see the resemblance, but it's not an exact copy of the G3 right? What's different from the G3?
  • Interests: Su-15, Su-27, Tu-22, Tornado, RNLAF
Niels Hillebrand
MILAVIA Webmaster

Offline Viggen

• General of Flight
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2009, 05:21:14 PM »
I see the resemblance, but it's not an exact copy of the G3 right? What's different from the G3?

The AK4 is produced under license, so some modifications have certanly been done. But i cant answer wich or what. I have never in my life seen an original G3, less fired one. I have not  been told during my time in the airforce what the diffrence are between the two.

Besides its not commonly used in the Swedish armed forces any longer, on occasions as a medium ranged sniper rifle or in the National guard as the primary weapon.

I have recently heard rumours about Sweden making an AK6. I will check up on this and come back with more info if there is any significance to the rumours.
Patrik S.

Offline Raptor

• General of Flight
  • What's the next big thing?
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2009, 05:25:49 PM »
Actually, I'd go with the SAR-21 as my choice of weapon that i'd have to use (SG is a pretty urban place, if i'm going to fight in it i want something that's DESIGNED for urban warfare)

Buttt... If i'd had to choose something to wield for fun.. I say the MP-5.. (yes, i know what it is)

Hey Alyster! Haven't seen you in a while.  ;D
-JCLim

Offline Viggen

• General of Flight
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2009, 12:31:04 AM »
Ok, this is what i have dug up. The AK5 is going to be replaced in year 2020, but the scouting for the new replacment will start at 2012. So nothing is decided yet on what type or kind is going to be the new AK6.

Patrik S.

Offline alyster

• Hero of Flight
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2009, 08:28:20 AM »
Hey Raptor, I've been busy and I still am. Sometimes I ghet few days off or just some time online like now, so yeah I vist rearly.

Like Viggen, I have never seen an original G3 either. However as far as I know the weapon should be pretty close copy of the A3 modification. Logically swedish adds are new markings (3 swedish crowns)*, new line of serialnumbers and a table for aiming at different distances. Perhaps something else also, but there really can't be any big changes.

First weapons did have HK markings on them for some reason. Mine was with 5 digit serial number starting with 1, so I got a real gradpa of Ak4s.

You can actually aim and hit your targets when fireing at full auto, also it does not overheat as fast.
The recoil is next to nothing compared to the Ak4.

Ak4 does use the 7.62x51(NATO) so yeah it is hard to shoot at auto. Short bursts of 2-3 shots is the best this weapon can do. It's more of a MG ammo.
Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes

Offline iluveagles

• Veteran
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2009, 02:55:59 AM »
Well, combat rifles is a pretty broad category, that includes any rifle that is used or was designed for combat.

When it comes to my favorite assault rifle, I'd go with the M14, however it's not exactly the most practical rifle for an infantry fighting weapon. So in that category I would select one of these three: SCAR-H, M468/Rec 7, or the G36(but I really dislike the 5.56, so the 36 family is behind the other two).

For Sniper rifles, I'd take the M107/82, AS50, M14 EBR/M21, or the M24.

AVIATION TOP 100 - www.avitop.com click to vote for MILAVIA