MILAVIA Forum - Military Aviation Discussion Forum

Author Topic: Iranian Navy to hold maneuver in Strait of Hormuz  (Read 13900 times)

Offline tigershark

• News Editor
  • General of Flight
Iranian Navy to hold maneuver in Strait of Hormuz
« on: November 25, 2007, 03:11:46 AM »
 Iranian Navy to hold maneuver in Strait of Hormuz
 Tehran Times Political Desk

TEHRAN - Iran plans to hold a maneuver in the Sea of Oman and the Strait of Hormuz, Navy Commander Rear Admiral Habibollah Sayari revealed here on Saturday.    The maneuver codenamed “Etehad 86” (Unity 86) is intended to increase the military capabilities of the Iranian Navy, the commander explained.    “The Etehad 86 maneuver will be held in February,” he told a press conference.   New submarine Sayari gave news of a new locally-made submarine which will join the Navy soon.

Full story
http://www.tehrantimes.com/index_View.asp?code=157752

Offline Gripen

• General of Flight
  • WHATEVER YOUR PAST, THE FUTURE IS GRIPEN!
Re: Iranian Navy to hold maneuver in Strait of Hormuz
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2007, 04:21:34 AM »
I wonder how many American submarines, ships, planes and satellites will be watching them.

Offline Webmaster

• MILAVIA Webmaster
  • Administrator
  • General of Flight
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2007, 03:07:32 AM »
Probably more than neccessary and/or worthwhile.

They want to be watched, hence the three month advance notification. If they're smart they embed some journalists as well.

That new submarine may be so stealthy, that no-one will see it despite all efforts... because... sssst.... it won't leave port, hahaha.
  • Interests: Su-15, Su-27, Tu-22, Tornado, RNLAF
Niels Hillebrand
MILAVIA Webmaster

Offline Gripen

• General of Flight
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2007, 02:14:12 AM »
Lol, thats like THE stealthiest sub ever, its so good it doesnt have to leave port.

Question: If Iran's Islamic, and Muslim's prey 5 times a day, and they face Mecca, do they do it on a submarine? Because their wouldnt be all that much space, and it'd be kinda hard  to drive a sub when everyone is preying 5 times a day

Offline alyster

• Hero of Flight
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2007, 03:51:09 AM »
LOL Mystery solved 3 months ahead  ;D

Anyway wouldn't the americans find it from the port? The world press found a injured american sub from norwegian port right after Kursk sunk, why can't the US find a Irani sub from Iran? Although yes the press usually is more reliable than us intel. :-/

Anyway I wouldn't be suprised if it is stealth sub, stealth for USN that is. I mean they already got beaten by the swedish sub Gotland who blew a air craft carrier out of the waters, luckily in an excercise. And USN had Orions and all sorts of stuff out there looking for this small swedish miracle. If my memory doesn't fail me then it was USS Ronald Reagan.

Edit: Gripen... they will pray. In Soviet Afgan war only time it was safe to move was when muslimes prayed. The war around them stopped, they prayed and then they carried on their duty. What a people. I will never undrstand them I guess.  I just wonder if they ever did it in the middle of a harsh battle. I got to ask some veteran. There's veterans of both Afgan wars here now  :-\
« Last Edit: December 30, 2007, 04:11:46 AM by alyster »
Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes

Offline Gripen

• General of Flight
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2007, 08:30:58 AM »
So, if their on their submarine and someone fires a missile at it while their praying. Do they stop and try to avoid the missile, or do they get hit, die, and sink?

Offline Raptor

• General of Flight
  • What's the next big thing?
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2008, 03:59:32 PM »
They pray the missile will turn around and hit the enemy instead. Save us all...
-JCLim

Offline alyster

• Hero of Flight
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2008, 04:40:45 PM »
Raptor, 1000 posts, General of Milavia.... wtf dude  ;D
Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes

Offline WRCKid

• Veteran
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2008, 01:29:14 AM »

Offline Raptor

• General of Flight
  • What's the next big thing?
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2008, 08:17:02 AM »
Now was that a compliment or an insult, alyster? ;D

Ok who has any doubt that the ship won't leave harbour?
-JCLim

Offline tigershark

• News Editor
  • General of Flight
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2008, 04:58:37 PM »
WRCKid I saw that the other day pretty interesting stuff could have gotten nasty.  I don't see the point Iran knows better that shows by turn away at a certain point.   They tend to do or release stuff for reasons most of the time to draw attention away from something else.   During the tanker wars years back we did a good job at knocking out a bunch or the ships, fast boats, and if I remember right an oil platform too.  They were laying mines too and had to be cleared and a US War ship hit one I'll try and look it up and post.   

Offline WRCKid

• Veteran
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2008, 06:09:20 PM »
WRCKid I saw that the other day pretty interesting stuff could have gotten nasty.  I don't see the point Iran knows better that shows by turn away at a certain point.   They tend to do or release stuff for reasons most of the time to draw attention away from something else.   During the tanker wars years back we did a good job at knocking out a bunch or the ships, fast boats, and if I remember right an oil platform too.  They were laying mines too and had to be cleared and a US War ship hit one I'll try and look it up and post.   
Yeah, I remember when I was in the service (USMC before you ask) everytime we crossed that stretch on our Amphib ships we were on standby, for 24 hours in case we had to go. I did that twice. All the aircraft were fully armed and fuelled just in case.

AVIATION TOP 100 - www.avitop.com click to vote for MILAVIA