MILAVIA Forum - Military Aviation Discussion Forum

Author Topic: Israel  (Read 17956 times)

Offline alyster

• Hero of Flight
Re: Israel
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2006, 06:40:18 AM »
I don't think that would happen. Before the Israel-Lebanon conflict two leading generals in the IDF were both from airforce and airforce got some good funding. Now the army however proved itself to be very weak in the conflict. They've got lots of new things they've built for the army but only few of them have entered the service. So I guess the army will get the bigger half now.

However it is likely that Russia may sell some fighters to Iran or Syria(who else could afford enough of them there?). In the last conflict IDF spoted several russian made high tech anti tank weapons in hand of hezbollah, which probably were sold to them trough Syria. So Iran's got the money for it and need probably too. However if it would escalte into a war with israelis, then jews have 2 missiles aremed with nukes and 3 subs(2 to be added soon) with nukes in range of Iran. So no worries.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2006, 06:44:26 AM by alyster »
Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes

Offline Webmaster

• MILAVIA Webmaster
  • Administrator
  • General of Flight
« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2006, 07:16:25 AM »
I read some recent news that Israel is looking to buy additional F-15I with improvements, possibly the AN/APG-79 AESA radar, reportedly it's known as F-15SX. In the meantime, the third F-16I squadron was activated. They ordered a total of 102 F-16I's in two batches, I wouldn't be surprised if a third batch will be ordered in the near future. Israel will probably keep buying US weapons, if not then the French Rafale is a more likely option than the Typhoon or Gripen. Israel will probably never join an international development program for a jet fighter, because they keep their secrets closely guarded and rather buy off-the-shelf and then take "everything" out and put their own systems in (at least that's how our former defence minister put it at a lecture).

Saudi Arabia is shopping, Syria is shopping, so don't be afraid that Israel won't.

By the way, it's IASF now instead of IDF/AF for those that didn't know. S stands for Space...  ;) So they are not sitting still.
  • Interests: Su-15, Su-27, Tu-22, Tornado, RNLAF
Niels Hillebrand
MILAVIA Webmaster

Valiant1

« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2006, 01:14:44 PM »
I still think the Typhoon and Gripen are a better fighter than the Rafale.  On the negative side, the Typhoon may cost too much, but the Gripen and Rafale may be more affordable. 
And Mr. Alyster, I'm not talking about using nukes here.  I know Israel would have no reservation about using them and they could wipe out the enitre Middle East region, but that would put us all on the losing end.  So, I'm not worried about Israel in that respect - they were ready to use the nukes during the 6 Day War, nobody else in that region had one.
And no one will dare attack them, the US backs up Israel. 

Offline Gripen

• General of Flight
  • WHATEVER YOUR PAST, THE FUTURE IS GRIPEN!
« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2006, 06:52:45 AM »
I still think the Typhoon and Gripen are a better fighter than the Rafale.  On the negative side, the Typhoon may cost too much, but the Gripen and Rafale may be more affordable. 
And Mr. Alyster, I'm not talking about using nukes here.  I know Israel would have no reservation about using them and they could wipe out the enitre Middle East region, but that would put us all on the losing end.  So, I'm not worried about Israel in that respect - they were ready to use the nukes during the 6 Day War, nobody else in that region had one.
And no one will dare attack them, the US backs up Israel. 

the US does back Israel, but do you know what wold happen if America supported Israel in a war? If you thought the Americans in Iraq/Afghanistan was bad, you should see what will happen when they have the WHOLE power of the middle eastern militaries on them. the americans are good and will hand out massive casualties- but numbers will be a downfall for them.. and besides, they already have to many problems in the Mid East, why start another one?

Valiant1

« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2006, 11:47:02 PM »
Gripen, I wasn't talking about another war; I already opppose the war in Iraq, which I initially supported.  It' s becoming another Vietnam - something the American people don't want.   We're not war mongers - if anything it's our government who's there for other reasons - like oil.  We don't want to see our young boys and girls getting caught in anymore bomb attacks.  It's not worth it.  I'm a parent myself, and I wouldn't want to see that happen to any of my kids.  I'm glad they're still little.

For me personally, I would like to see the US pull out of Iraq and many other areas of the world w/ the exception of Europe where the US has obligations towards NATO allies, unless the allies don't want us there.  I would rather see the US government spend all those billions in fixing the economy and other internal problems we have.

Offline Gripen

• General of Flight
  • WHATEVER YOUR PAST, THE FUTURE IS GRIPEN!
« Reply #17 on: October 15, 2006, 03:44:08 AM »
what i meant is if America militarily supports Israel, then (no offence) the Muslim worlds to most hated enemies would become a greater threat to the security of the Islamic world and THAT could cause the war i was talking about

AVIATION TOP 100 - www.avitop.com click to vote for MILAVIA