MILAVIA Forum - Military Aviation Discussion Forum

Author Topic: Desert Storm - Belgian Mirage V BA "Diyarbakir Express"  (Read 8832 times)

Offline orko_8

• Pilot
Desert Storm - Belgian Mirage V BA "Diyarbakir Express"
« on: October 07, 2005, 11:31:45 PM »
As known, Turkey contributed Operation Desert Storm, by opening her air bases including Adana - İncirlik to US led Coalition Forces. Some Coalition Air Units were deployed in İncirlik, Erhac and Diyarbakir air bases. Among them was 18 Belgian Air Force Mirage V BA's of 8th Squadron (8 Jagerbommenwerperssmaldeel) from 3rd Tactical Wing (3 Tactische Wing). These Mirage V's conducted CAP sorties along Turkish - Iraqi border area.

One of those Mirage V BA's carry a very interesting Nose-Art...

The Mirage V BA flown by 1st Lt. Didier Lecqeux has a paint job written "Diyarbakir Express" in the nose section of the aircraft, in memory of the days spent in Diyarbakir. The "BA 54" retired from operational service in January 1994 and eventually sold to France. I don't have further info on the current situation of the aircraft.

Here are the photos of Diyarbakir Express:

Offline Webmaster

• MILAVIA Webmaster
  • Administrator
  • General of Flight
Re: Desert Storm - Belgian Mirage V BA "Diyarbakir Express"
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2005, 01:32:07 AM »
Very interesting. I have unfortunately no further information either. To be totally honest I wasn't even aware of the Belgian Mirage V contribution to the coalition.  :-[  Thanks for this. Do you have any photos of the Mirages in Turkey during the Gulf War?
  • Interests: Su-15, Su-27, Tu-22, Tornado, RNLAF
Niels Hillebrand
MILAVIA Webmaster

Offline orko_8

• Pilot
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2005, 11:37:53 AM »
Well I'm still searching.. There is very limited accurate information regarding the Coalition deployment in Turkey. As far as I know there was a squadron of German Luftwaffe Alpha Jets and Netherlands F-16A/B's in Incirlik and Erhac (Not 100% sure though). I will dig up my old Turkish aviation magazines of the period in the weekend.

Offline orko_8

• Pilot
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2005, 12:13:42 PM »
According to the site, http://212.158.133.3/pages/en/belgium/belgium.html Mirage V's deployed to Turkey were as follows:

9 x Mirage 5BA, 8. Sqn
1 x Mirage 5BD, 8. Sqn
8 x Mirage 5BR, 42. Sqn

AVIATION TOP 100 - www.avitop.com click to vote for MILAVIA