MILAVIA Forum - Military Aviation Discussion Forum

Author Topic: Nimitz Gets Underway for Western Pacific Deployment  (Read 5685 times)

Offline tigershark

• News Editor
  • General of Flight
Nimitz Gets Underway for Western Pacific Deployment
« on: January 25, 2008, 02:47:22 AM »
 Nimitz Gets Underway for Western Pacific Deployment
 Story Number: NNS080124-09
Release Date: 1/24/2008 2:35:00 PM
Top News Story - Editors should consider using these stories first in local publications.

From USS Nimitz Public Affairs

USS Nimitz, At Sea (NNS) -- USS Nimitz (CVN 68) departed San Diego Jan. 24 with commander, Carrier Strike Group (CSG) 11 on a regularly scheduled Western Pacific deployment.

Nimitz is deploying under the Navy's Fleet Response Plan (FRP) and will operate in the Western Pacific Ocean in support of U.S. commitments in the region while the forward-deployed USS Kitty Hawk (CV 63) undergoes scheduled maintenance in Yokosuka, Japan.   FRP was designed to allow the United States the ability to rapidly respond with flexible and sustainable forces to any global commitment on short notice.   "Our mission will be to ensure security and stability in the region," said Capt. Michael Manazir, Nimitz' commanding officer. "While operating in the Western Pacific, we will also participate in exercises and coordinate with our partner nations in the region."

Full story
http://www.navy.mil/search/display.asp?story_id=34557

Offline Gripen

• General of Flight
  • WHATEVER YOUR PAST, THE FUTURE IS GRIPEN!
Re: Nimitz Gets Underway for Western Pacific Deployment
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2008, 05:36:26 AM »
Does anyone know when they are retiring the Kitty Hawk? I know its this year sometime, probably around the time the USS George H.W. Bush (CVN-77) is commisioned, but does anyone know when that is?

And do you think that the USA will sell the ex-Kitty Hawk to India? Which is the rumour floating around...
« Last Edit: January 26, 2008, 06:22:37 AM by Gripen »

Offline tigershark

• News Editor
  • General of Flight
Re: Nimitz Gets Underway for Western Pacific Deployment
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2008, 04:29:57 PM »
I don't know when there retiring it maybe near the time you mention.  Selling the carrier to India would be very different from buying a useless Russian carrier.   Unlike the Russian carrier tons of "working" classified equipment and systems would have to be removed before any sale could take place.   The Russian shipyard's don't seem capable of really finishing the current carrier there working on but India is use to long delays and cost overruns so it fits in with there norm.  So besides this carrier Russia blew the huge Il-76/78 tanker/cargo aircraft contract with China.  And on this other forum I'm in this poster makes this comment:
"I think now it is the same situation, even more amplified. Plus, right now army (and airforce) certainly dont have enouth fuel for full training . Also add corruption and thieving within army. The situation get better every year, but still it is much worse than in USSR time."

Makes you think running all the Bear bomber all over the world seems useless while home border units can't train?   This isn't the 80s or the 90s its 2007 and 2008, current stuff.   I so question Russian military training and equipment the more I learn about it.  It seems to be a shell of what everybody thinks it is and can do?   I don't wonder anymore why they never attacked during the Cold War even when half of the US Armed Forces were in Asia in the late 60s and early 70s.   I think it's pretty clear why they didn't.   

AVIATION TOP 100 - www.avitop.com click to vote for MILAVIA