MILAVIA Forum - Military Aviation Discussion Forum

Author Topic: North and South Korea in Naval Clash  (Read 12773 times)

Offline Gripen

• General of Flight
  • WHATEVER YOUR PAST, THE FUTURE IS GRIPEN!
North and South Korea in Naval Clash
« on: November 10, 2009, 04:59:47 AM »
    NORTH and South Korea have engaged in a naval clash off their west coast, it was reported today.                  There was no immediate confirmation.

(News.com.au)

Will post if I can find more info.

Offline Gripen

• General of Flight
  • WHATEVER YOUR PAST, THE FUTURE IS GRIPEN!
Re: North and South Korea in Naval Clash
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2009, 06:19:29 AM »
NORTH and South Korea were involved in a naval clash today off the peninsula's west coast, military officials said, reportedly leaving a North Korean patrol boat badly damaged.                  A spokesman for the Joint Chiefs of Staff confirmed the clash to AFP but said details were not immediately available.
A government source quoted by Yonhap news agency said a North Korean patrol boat crossed the disputed sea border, prompting South Korea's navy to fire warning shots.
When the boat continued sailing southwards, the South's navy opened fire at it, the source was quoted as saying. The North Korean boat fired back.
"There were no casualties on our side while the North Korean boat, half-destroyed, sailed back to the North," the source was quoted as saying.
The border in the Yellow Sea was the scene of deadly naval clashes in 1999 and 2002 and has always been a potential flashpoint.
The North's navy last month accused South Korea of sending warships across the border to stir tensions, and said the "reckless military provocations" could trigger armed clashes.
The border known as the Northern Limit Line was drawn up unilaterally by United Nations forces at the end of the Korean War in 1953. The North has never recognised it and wants it drawn further to the south.

Offline Webmaster

• MILAVIA Webmaster
  • Administrator
  • General of Flight
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2009, 05:06:28 AM »
Not sure about its importance, seems like a minor clash. Thanks for reporting, it's interesting to hear about these small incidents that can kick off something bigger.
  • Interests: Su-15, Su-27, Tu-22, Tornado, RNLAF
Niels Hillebrand
MILAVIA Webmaster

Offline shawn a

• Hero of Flight
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2009, 06:40:23 AM »
And can anyone tell me why it was only "half-destroyed"?
Let's pop the damn pimple!!!!! Before it becomes an abcess and needs "antibiotics"!!!

Offline RecceJet

• Fighter Ace
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2009, 07:49:51 AM »
And can anyone tell me why it was only "half-destroyed"?
Let's pop the damn pimple!!!!! Before it becomes an abcess and needs "antibiotics"!!!

I could only speculate that the craft was made of wood, then. I'm sure any steel design would sink if half of it was missing! From the reports it sounds like the North Koreans did well to be able to sail a "half-destroyed" craft back again!

Offline shawn a

• Hero of Flight
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2009, 08:08:33 PM »
Maybe it was a north korean version of the "Kon Tiki"--unsinkable!

AVIATION TOP 100 - www.avitop.com click to vote for MILAVIA