MILAVIA Forum - Military Aviation Discussion Forum

Author Topic: What aircraft will north korea use?  (Read 20112 times)

Offline shawn a

• Hero of Flight
Re: What aircraft will north korea use?
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2010, 07:44:59 AM »
Haven't heard that north korea had put a satellite up.
A communication satellite? Can't they just use satellite phones and cell phones like the taliban?

Offline alyster

• Hero of Flight
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2010, 02:48:46 PM »
Not up to date with this week, but last I heard they were about to launch it. Anyway mobile phones and sat. phones aren't very reliable. Mobiles require on land masts to operate. They are far too easy to bomb down if the enemy depends on them. Also mobiles use 900, 1800 and 1900 MHz frequencies. When you know that, it's far too easy to jam the communications. I'm not too familiar with sat phones, but I assume their frequencies are pretty limited aswell. Also, it's easier to tap in. Probably even more effective than jamming.

Although in Russian -  Georgian conflict for majority of the time  the communication wasn't jammed and the mobile masts weren't bombed. Anyway the radio warfare is very interesting topic, but I can't go deep into it in public. 
Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes

Offline Webmaster

• MILAVIA Webmaster
  • Administrator
  • General of Flight
« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2010, 03:32:19 PM »
The theory is that they'd require it to guide their long-range missile (forgot the name), but I don't see why... just use inertial guidance like others have done since the sixties.

More important is if they can launch a sat. into space then obviously the missile works. Remember... the first Soviet ICBM was used for launching the Sputnik!

The point is putting a sat into space has little to do with communications when it comes to North Korea I'm afraid.
  • Interests: Su-15, Su-27, Tu-22, Tornado, RNLAF
Niels Hillebrand
MILAVIA Webmaster

Offline Raptor

• General of Flight
  • What's the next big thing?
« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2010, 11:32:08 AM »
And they've fired on each other. Looks like it's going to be an artillery thing, WWI style. 8)

I think NK would be rather afraid to deploy aircraft, since the pilots can kind of just go to Japan and live the good life. (as was mentioned before...)
-JCLim

Offline Webmaster

• MILAVIA Webmaster
  • Administrator
  • General of Flight
« Reply #16 on: December 03, 2010, 09:15:30 PM »
Today, or last week? Last week it was rocket artillery, so more like WWII East style.

They say this is kinda to strengthen their position for upcoming negotiations. Which makes sense, because other than this, they've got nothing to bring to the table. Another theory had to do with the introduction of Kim's son to power. Probably bit of both, either way, it's pathetic "show-of-force", which isn't even working. But good thing how the South Korean president acted real calm, yet serious, in response of this. He might as well yelled something similar to what was it... something having to do with holes and smoke... ;)
Niels Hillebrand
MILAVIA Webmaster

Offline Raptor

• General of Flight
  • What's the next big thing?
« Reply #17 on: December 04, 2010, 06:27:37 AM »
Today, or last week? Last week it was rocket artillery, so more like WWII East style.

Ah that would be it then. Quite interesting to speculate about the next weapon that they'll use, since i have lots of classmates from China and schoolmates from SK.  :D

But good thing how the South Korean president acted real calm, yet serious, in response of this. He might as well yelled something similar to what was it... something having to do with holes and smoke... ;)

I suppose anyone would remain calm with Japan and the USA standing behind them watching carefully... As far as i can tell, Japan's itching to try out its military strength on NK...  ;)
-JCLim

Offline Webmaster

• MILAVIA Webmaster
  • Administrator
  • General of Flight
« Reply #18 on: December 10, 2010, 04:35:51 AM »
True.

Japan? Hmm, it's still pretty much a defence force. Will their law allow it? Maybe under UN, not sure. Anyway, still plenty of Americans deployed in South Korea and the ROKAF is no walk-over either. So, I don't even think they need Japan there tbh, at least not at first.
Niels Hillebrand
MILAVIA Webmaster

Offline F-111 C/C

• Hero of Flight
« Reply #19 on: December 10, 2010, 10:02:33 PM »
The American Forces in place in South Korea as we speak could take North Korea in a weekend ;).
Wars are won by carrying the 'heavy iron' downtown!

Offline shawn a

• Hero of Flight
« Reply #20 on: December 11, 2010, 04:22:52 AM »
Why wait that long?? But china would, once again, never let it happen.
I like the "Ment Ali Ill" joke, and use it every time I can.
china should put a short leash on it's puppy. In order to prevent feces from impacting the air circulation device.
(not so humble opinion)

Offline F-111 C/C

• Hero of Flight
« Reply #21 on: December 11, 2010, 06:06:06 AM »
I thought I read something about the U.S. talking to China about helping to unify the Koreas again (or did I dream that?).

Offline Webmaster

• MILAVIA Webmaster
  • Administrator
  • General of Flight
« Reply #22 on: December 11, 2010, 05:52:26 PM »
Recently?

Because I think that they did back when Kim Jong-il visited China in Aug 2010. But yeah, the media spend so much time joking about his fear of flying and armoured train, that we've never heard anything on the outcome?
Niels Hillebrand
MILAVIA Webmaster

Offline F-111 C/C

• Hero of Flight
« Reply #23 on: December 11, 2010, 11:18:33 PM »
Yeah it might have been about that time. I think the latest actions prove his son is more of a threat that he was.

AVIATION TOP 100 - www.avitop.com click to vote for MILAVIA