MILAVIA Forum - Military Aviation Discussion Forum

Author Topic: Russia restores Soviet-era strategic bomber patrols  (Read 24135 times)

Offline Webmaster

• MILAVIA Webmaster
  • Administrator
  • General of Flight
Re: Russia restores Soviet-era strategic bomber patrols
« Reply #36 on: August 23, 2007, 09:30:13 PM »
Well not really, I mean you never know.

I believe it's just a name given by the public/press to the continuation of strategic bomber development by Russia. I've seen little about it, apart from old T-60 era drawings and the link you provide only gives info on the available engines, and that it won't be ready before 2015. This article also estimates the Tu-95 to remain in service for about 10 years, while the Russian general that was in the Reuters articles says 2040. That's a huge gap. Also if you look at the original article in which RF Yuri is quoted, it actually is more like: there's no way we will be development a new bomber any time soon, the work is just research/conceptual until at least 2015.

*Sarcastic* I can tell you the same about the US, it's called the ATB program, now I'll show you some FB-22 concept art if you want, but it's not like that, so let me get some old 1980s design to show you as well. It won't be like the B-2, more like the B-1, but not really. Okay? And I can tell you it won't be ready before 2015 since the B-52, B-2 and B-1B have or are receiving radar and other targetting upgrades. Also, it will be powered by enhanced F119 engines, but there's also the possibility of continuing developed based on the SR-71's engines or a new version of the TF-30.

Get my point?

Looks like a rumour based on old facts and new possibilities.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2007, 09:38:24 PM by Webmaster »
  • Interests: Su-15, Su-27, Tu-22, Tornado, RNLAF
Niels Hillebrand
MILAVIA Webmaster

Offline Icarus

• Pilot
  • Planes on ships fan
« Reply #37 on: August 23, 2007, 10:30:32 PM »
Great pictures ! The Bear never dies eh ;D

Offline tigershark

• News Editor
  • General of Flight
« Reply #38 on: August 24, 2007, 04:38:09 AM »
I have a off the wall question could a B-2 buddy fuel feed another B-2 so they could reach any target in Russia from any direction?  My point being that no tanker would pop up in the middle of nowhere near Russia airspace.   Or could a B-2 buddy feed say two or three F-22s on a deep penetration mission?   What I'm trying to see if possible is a pour stealth mission could maybe a F-22 in it's internal bay carry a fuel bladder and buddy system probe.   Just wanted to throw this out there while we were talking about strategic bombing.

Offline alyster

• Hero of Flight
« Reply #39 on: August 24, 2007, 11:25:41 AM »
Ok, So it's like Russian Aurora.

I thought it was wierd, I hadn't heard about it before, the name is taken from PAK-FA and there was not a word of the contractors.
Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes

Offline Raptor

• General of Flight
  • What's the next big thing?
« Reply #40 on: August 24, 2007, 06:29:59 PM »
Nonpilot. Whatonearthdoesthenamemean?

Sounds like an interesting concept. Wonder why they never just built a stealth tanker. Or increase the range of existing stealth aircraft.But they could start outside the Russian radar range, couldn't they? I mean, like re-fuel just outside then go in like nobody's business.
-JCLim

AVIATION TOP 100 - www.avitop.com click to vote for MILAVIA