MILAVIA Forum - Military Aviation Discussion Forum

Author Topic: Russia restores Soviet-era strategic bomber patrols  (Read 24146 times)

Offline alyster

• Hero of Flight
Russia restores Soviet-era strategic bomber patrols
« on: August 19, 2007, 12:16:04 PM »
According to RIAN Russia will resume stradegic bomber patrol flights which were stopped in 1992. The first parol should be over now and if I'm not harshly mistaking then Norwegian fighters even observed them.

Anyway it got me thinking. Russia's bomber fleet is quite old. Only handful(16?) of Tu-160 made it into service before the production was canceled. So they have around 180 Tu-22Ms and around 90 Tu-95s. They are getting kinda old now. May this mean that we soon see some new Tu-160 BlackJacks entering the service because I think they might have a need for it. And wouldn't they probably be newer versions?
« Last Edit: August 19, 2007, 04:06:39 PM by alyster »
Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes

Offline valkyrian

• Fighter Ace
  • Goodbye my friend Tigershark, R.I.P.
Re: Russia restores Soviet-era strategic bomber patrols
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2007, 03:05:42 PM »
If a productiom line closes, it is very difficult to reopen (you need the machines, the tools, tha material resources) so i doubt if they will be able to built nre Blackjacks....so i think that the legendary shape of the Bears will be a frequent silhouette in the skies.
Some years ago, i had read that the Russian airforce were studying new bombers (ultra fast) and a Sukhoi design was very close to mockup prototype. Maybe this move will now be completed....

Offline Webmaster

• MILAVIA Webmaster
  • Administrator
  • General of Flight
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2007, 04:00:46 PM »
Yes, Norway and also the UK have made multiple scrambles to intercept Bears.

They have 15 Tu-160 in service. Actually recently one more Tu-160 was produced at Kazan, from an incomplete airframe when production stopped in 1994-1995. They are still pretty young.

They have around 64 Tu-95MS Bear-H remaining in service. Produced in the 1980s.

Both are being upgraded now, with new navigation and fire-control suites, and new weapons including the Kh-555 non-nuclear cruise missile and other stand-off guided weapons.

The Tu-22M3 are also being upgraded, but reports indicate progress is slow with only a few upgraded since 1999.

And the Russian Navy operates about 50 Tu-22M3 and 15 Tu-142MK/MZ Bear-Fs. These Bears will probably not be upgraded, because the need for a long range ASW aircraft is diminishing. It also has some Tu-142MR Bear-J radio relay aircraft remaining. However with this stuff going on at the North pole, and current political situation, I wouldn't be surprised if they will.

• Interests: Su-15, Su-27, Tu-22, Tornado, RNLAF
Niels Hillebrand
MILAVIA Webmaster

Offline tigershark

• News Editor
  • General of Flight
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2007, 04:02:43 PM »
I think this is a pure press thing like Russia going back to the old glory day's type thing.    I'm sure some of these crews making these long flights must be concern these are old aircraft.   I'm sure there must be some interesting stories from the former Bear crews from the peak cold war times. 

Offline alyster

• Hero of Flight
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2007, 04:09:08 PM »
If a productiom line closes, it is very difficult to reopen

If I'd dig in alittle more then I'd probably find a direct quote,  but this spring or winter Putin said that Russia has stored most of the production lines and can swiftly reopen massive arms prodution. I'm not sure if it included the Blackjacks or any of the Bears but that's what Putin said.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2007, 10:05:29 AM by alyster »

Offline Sergei

• Pilot
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2007, 05:39:18 PM »
It's very-very good news!!!! Our answer to american PRO in Alyaska. ;)
Жыве Беларусь!

Offline tigershark

• News Editor
  • General of Flight
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2007, 05:52:30 PM »
A little help please what is "PRO in Alaska. javascript:void(0);
Smiley

Offline Globetrotter

• Hero of Flight
  • I'm Thomas (now Globetrotter)
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2007, 08:48:12 PM »
It's very-very good news!!!! Our answer to american PRO in Alyaska. ;)

why your answer, if you aren't from Russia?
"Ad Astra Per Aspera"   (5º Grupo de Caza ≈ A-4AR Fightinghawk)

~ MALVINAS ARGENTINAS ~

Offline valkyrian

• Fighter Ace
  • Goodbye my friend Tigershark, R.I.P.
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2007, 12:38:15 AM »
Belarus was a part of the former CCCP.

Offline Globetrotter

• Hero of Flight
  • I'm Thomas (now Globetrotter)
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2007, 02:09:50 AM »
I know. I thought, however, that they were like... happy to be independient... I don't know, that's why I asked.
"Ad Astra Per Aspera"   (5º Grupo de Caza ≈ A-4AR Fightinghawk)

~ MALVINAS ARGENTINAS ~

Offline alyster

• Hero of Flight
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2007, 10:01:46 AM »
Belarus and Russia should be in some (not so well functioning?) commonwealth.

I thought, however, that they were like... happy to be independient... I don't know, that's why I asked.

Sergei knows more, but not all in Belarus like the fact that there is no more USSR. Baltic States are happy, as the Eastern-European satelite states. Situation in CIS however is some what controversial.

Now we're off to politics again   :-\

Offline Sergei

• Pilot
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2007, 03:42:41 PM »
I explain. PRO - protivoraketnaya Oborona (on-ангийски: antimissile defense). One of places of a disposition of her elements - Alaska. Now Americans have conceived to put bases of antimissile defense in Poland and Czechia ostensibly for protection against the Iranian rockets. BUT! Iran does not have intercontinental ballistic missiles. And in the nearest years 5 will not be and in a mine. Russia has the full right to organize constant fighting watch by forces of Distant Aircraft above water areas of Arctic and Silent oceans.

And I so am happy, because my father three more years served as the assistant to the commander of a heavy bombing division on air base Ukrainka (the Amur area) back. And now this division will carry constant fighting watch. For this reason I so am glad.
Жыве Беларусь!

AVIATION TOP 100 - www.avitop.com click to vote for MILAVIA