MILAVIA Forum - Military Aviation Discussion Forum

Author Topic: The Syrian government charged Thursday that Israeli aircraft dropped "munitions"  (Read 7705 times)

Offline tigershark

• News Editor
  • General of Flight
I think it's very possible but doesn't it sound a little odd that little on this claim is coming out else where?   If true I wonder what was dropped?   Or why there seems to be missing clues here.   Maybe a little test of Syria's radar net?

Full story
 Syria Says It Shot at Israeli Aircraft

By ALBERT AJI – 1 day ago

DAMASCUS, Syria (AP) — The Syrian government charged Thursday that Israeli aircraft dropped "munitions" inside Syria overnight and said its air defenses opened fire in a new escalation of tensions between the decades-old foes.

http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5gD-E7E_IrcMkCLx2Ouqu6IY9f-DA

Offline Sergei

• Pilot
I think, jews checked Antiaircraft defense of Syria. In fact recently in press there were many messages that Syria has got party at Russia is antiaircraft-rocket Complexes "Buk-M1-2". These data have been denied personally by Sergey Chemezovym - director of "Rosoboronexport". Simply check.

But start up jews do not think, that it will descend it from hands. Till January, 1st of Syria 5 interceptors MiG-31E (they are already collected at a factory "Falcon" in Nizhni Novgorod) will be put. Here then we shall look.
Жыве Беларусь!

Offline tigershark

• News Editor
  • General of Flight
I think Israel could use American satellites for most of that info it just seems that something is missing here.  The five Mig-31 would do little in case of fighting between Syria (a known terrorist supporting state) and Israel.    Against Israeli's well trained air force 20 Mig-31E wouldn't make much difference.   To me the Mig31 is a throw back to the cold war day I agree it's much more capable then a Mig-25.   It has a powerful long range radar and in certain cases I guess could be used as a mini AWACS but it's basically a flying rocket, very good for going fast and straight.   Armed with AA-11.12, and AA-10s and some upgraded version I still give the edge to Israeli's Slammers.   It's not a magical fighter basically designed for shooting down slow flying American bombers or straight flying older type cruise missiles.    Picking up a modern squadron or two of Mig-29M or Mig-35s would better suite Syria's needs.   Maybe if an Israeli attack made against Iran were to be pick up these Mig-31E would be a good aircraft to give chase and catch up for some long range tail shots.   Two squadrons of newer Flanker or Fulcrums would serve Syria better I assume their older Mig-29/2321 aren't in good shape and have done poorly in the past.     

Offline Sergei

• Pilot
As is known, Syria is interested in purchase at Russia parties (figures at 12-24 unit refer to) fighters MiG-29SMT or MiG-29M/M2. Besides now the're active negotiations about delivery of Syria 18 fighters Su-30K (in case of delivery of Syria they will be modernized in Su-30KN) which earlier were a part of Air Forces of India. Originally these fighters intended my native Belarus, but for the known reasons delivery has been cancelled. Also in purchase of these of 18 fighters Eritrea is interested.

As to MiG-31 it is the best interceptor in the world. It is equipped not only the most powerful onboard radar station, but also rockets of the superbig range. Therefore, purchase of the given fighters by Syria серьёзно will strengthen Air Forces of this country. Certainly, jews while (I emphasize, meanwhile) are stronger. 8)
Жыве Беларусь!

Offline tigershark

• News Editor
  • General of Flight
Are these rockets really produced and operational?   The aircraft can't turn and speed is it's best weapon and to me it missiles are no better then any others Russia produces.   I don't think we agree on how capable or useful Mig-31s are and that's ok too.   Russia would be better served by retiring them and going to a standard line of different Flankers to save on production, maintenance, and training.  Stream line their forces across the board it would raise their standards.   To me the Mig-31 is a huge aircraft made of heavy metals and can assume high on the maintenance side to because of the age.   The aircraft is badly out classed by a F-15C armed with Slammers or really any fighter that can get it in range of it's missiles.   It really can't get close or merge with any enemy because it turns like a transport.    The days of fifty or sixty B-52s crossing Russia's border or air space at the same time are very much over.   Advance models of Flankers could do there job and other task for less.   

Offline RecceJet

• Fighter Ace
I think it's very possible but doesn't it sound a little odd that little on this claim is coming out else where?   If true I wonder what was dropped?   Or why there seems to be missing clues here.   Maybe a little test of Syria's radar net?

Full story
 Syria Says It Shot at Israeli Aircraft

By ALBERT AJI – 1 day ago

DAMASCUS, Syria (AP) — The Syrian government charged Thursday that Israeli aircraft dropped "munitions" inside Syria overnight and said its air defenses opened fire in a new escalation of tensions between the decades-old foes.

http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5gD-E7E_IrcMkCLx2Ouqu6IY9f-DA

Seems from news reports that Turkey is asking Israel to explain why two jetisoned fuel tanks were found at the Turkey - Syria border. Turkey is one of the very few Middle Eastern countries with fairly good relations with Israel, so I'm thinking in this case Turkey is the middle man between Syria and Israel.

If they were Israeli aircraft flying into Syrian (and Turkish?) airspace, there's specualtion they could even have been attempting to look into Iran. If anything, they've shown a capability and willingness to fly that far into hostile airspace. That alone should send a message to Iran and Syria.

Offline tigershark

• News Editor
  • General of Flight
The capability and willingness is their for Israel it's a survival issue pure and simple.   With the way Iran as acted over the years and the terror which has spread through their country no one should want Iran to have nuclear weapons.   Stopping this nuke plant from going live to me is a when thing not a if thing.   Does the world want the Iranian government to have control possible over nuclear weapons?   The world would be in danger much more so then it is right now by a long shot.   Some group would buy a dirty weapons third party and as long as it's used against the US or Israel it would be alright.   Iran's government would let it happen they can't be allow a chance millions of people are at risk period.   

Offline tigershark

• News Editor
  • General of Flight
A slight update I found
The Israel Air Force jets that allegedly infiltrated Syrian airspace early last Thursday apparently bombed an Iranian arms shipment that was being transferred to Hizbullah, CNN reported Tuesday.    A ground operation may also have been part of the foray, according to the network. Neither Jerusalem nor Damascus have confirmed the report. But Damascus has denied the presence of any Israeli ground forces on its territory.

Full story
http://www.jpost.com/servlet/Satellite?cid=1189411388088&pagename=JPost%2FJPArticle%2FShowFull

Offline tigershark

• News Editor
  • General of Flight
I found some more on this topic and wanted it to share it some of it is interesting.   Parts have me puzzled why didn't the US or UN didn't get involved seems like something Bush would have jumped on.

Israelis ‘blew apart Syrian nuclear cache’
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/world/middle_east/article2461421.ece

Israel says deterrent ability recovered after Syria strike
http://afp.google.com/article/ALeqM5iPSxU5Nlch6Nzo-6RPwuhDbjZb1Q

N Korean ship 'linked to Israel's strike on Syria'
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2007/09/17/wsyria117.xml

Offline RecceJet

• Fighter Ace
Reportedly, a ground operation was indeed in effect prior to the strike.

http://abc.net.au/news/stories/2007/09/24/2041135.htm?section=justin

Britain's Sunday Times newspaper reported that elite Israeli forces seized North Korean nuclear material during a raid on a secret military site in Syria before Israeli warplanes bombed it on September 6.

Offline tigershark

• News Editor
  • General of Flight
Re: The Syrian government charged Thursday that Israeli aircraft dropped "muniti
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2007, 05:08:54 AM »
I read that as well and am wondering about Syria maybe their a much bigger player behind closed door's then the world thinks.  Imagine if higher levels of terrorism in a leadership form was traced back to Syria and not Iran?     

AVIATION TOP 100 - www.avitop.com click to vote for MILAVIA