MILAVIA Forum - Military Aviation Discussion Forum

Author Topic: Russian Bear bombers join final drills in N. Atlantic  (Read 7482 times)

Offline tigershark

• News Editor
  • General of Flight
Russian Bear bombers join final drills in N. Atlantic
« on: January 30, 2008, 05:36:02 AM »
Russian Bear bombers join final drills in N. Atlantic
29/01/2008 17:33 MOSCOW, January 29 (RIA Novosti) - Six Tu-95MS Bear strategic bombers joined on Tuesday a Russian naval task force in the Atlantic to take part in the final stage of the current naval exercise, an Air Force spokesman said.

During the exercises, from January 28 to February 2, Russian pilots will practice reconnaissance, missile and bomb strikes on mock adversary naval force, and will fly simulated air combat and air patrolling missions.

"Six Tu-95MS, eight Tu-22M3 Backfire C strategic bombers and two A-50 Mainstay airborne early warning aircraft have flown today to join the final phase of the current naval exercises [in the Atlantic]," Colonel Alexander Drobyshevsky said.

A total of 40 aircraft, including Tu-160 Blackjacks, Il-78 Midas aerial tankers, MiG-31 Foxhound long-range interceptors and Su-27 Flanker frontline fighter aircraft will participate in the drills, he said.

The aircraft are expected to fly at least 40 training sorties during the exercise.

Drobyshevsky reiterated that all flights by Russian aircraft would be performed in strict compliance with international rules on the use of air space over neutral waters, without violating the borders of other states.

Russia's naval task force, comprising the Admiral Kuznetsov aircraft carrier, the Udaloy-Class destroyers Admiral Levchenko and Admiral Chabanenko, as well as auxiliary vessels, is currently on a two-month tour of duty in the Mediterranean Sea and the North Atlantic.

The flagship of Russia's Black Sea Fleet, the Moskva guided missile cruiser, joined up with Russian naval warships in the Mediterranean on January 18 to participate in the current maneuvers.

Full story
http://en.rian.ru/russia/20080129/97956369.html

Offline alyster

• Hero of Flight
Re: Russian Bear bombers join final drills in N. Atlantic
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2008, 01:24:38 PM »
http://en.rian.ru/video/20080128/97826161.html

here's a video of it with mostly take offs from the carrier.
Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes

Offline Webmaster

• MILAVIA Webmaster
  • Administrator
  • General of Flight
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2008, 03:12:49 AM »
I guess I don't have to convince anyone anymore that the Russian military is back on its feet.

I'm wondering, are the Backfires (retro-)fitted with refuelling probes?
  • Interests: Su-15, Su-27, Tu-22, Tornado, RNLAF
Niels Hillebrand
MILAVIA Webmaster

Offline tigershark

• News Editor
  • General of Flight
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2008, 03:32:01 AM »
I see a few units on this current naval exercise and still not sold if they had to do something on this level for any period of time if would be possible.  I think most Russian units still lack first rate training on a daily bases and I think fuel and equipment issues are still very real problems.   

Offline Globetrotter

• Hero of Flight
  • I'm Thomas (now Globetrotter)
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2008, 04:38:18 AM »
In any case, it seems they are fighting against these problems... I mean, 40 sorties is a nice training. You start by something at least.
"Ad Astra Per Aspera"   (5º Grupo de Caza ≈ A-4AR Fightinghawk)

~ MALVINAS ARGENTINAS ~

Offline Webmaster

• MILAVIA Webmaster
  • Administrator
  • General of Flight
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2008, 03:01:18 AM »
Hmmm, I don't know how reliable that sortie number is. Per aircraft would mean, 8 sorties per day? That's ridiculous, even for NATO. Per crew is simply not possible. So it must mean 40 training sorties in total, meaning 1 per aircraft during the five day exercise. That's a bit uhm weak, but possible since it was a Navy exercise, not air force. However with 16 aircraft flying on day two alone, I'd bet they flew much more than 40 sorties in total.  I suppose it's logical if 40 aircraft participate that 40 sorties is the minimum, unless they serve some role on the ground. Or it is per aircraft / per crew, but over the 2 months the naval exercise runs. I'm thinking the reporter or editor screwed up somewhere...?

Reporter: How many aircraft will participate?
Colonel: 40 aircraft, we have Tu-160, Tu-22M, A-50, Il-78, MiG-31, Su-27.
Reporter: Will they all fly?
Colonel: Of course, they can't swim! They all will fly at least one sortie!

* Reporter goes home and types the report, at least 1 sortie per aircraft, so that's at least 40 training sorties! Wow, what a great fact to add to my report.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2008, 03:18:59 AM by Webmaster »
  • Interests: Su-15, Su-27, Tu-22, Tornado, RNLAF
Niels Hillebrand
MILAVIA Webmaster

AVIATION TOP 100 - www.avitop.com click to vote for MILAVIA