MILAVIA Forum - Military Aviation Discussion Forum

Author Topic: SCS Maritime Standoff  (Read 18769 times)

Offline ManilaBoy45

• Pilot
SCS Maritime Standoff
« on: April 13, 2012, 06:55:10 AM »
   The standoff around Scarborough Shoal in the disputed South China Sea between the Philippines and China continues for the 4th straight days but with less tension as the 115 meter PN frigate has already been replaced by a 56 meter PCG vessel which means only maritime law enforcement vessels from both nations remain on the scene ...

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2012/04/12/sea-dispute-escalates-as-china-and-philippines-deploys-more-warships/
« Last Edit: April 13, 2012, 07:00:26 AM by ManilaBoy45 »
" PROCRASTINATION WILL NOT ACHIEVE ANY GOALS, TIME IS OF THE ESSENCE ..."

Offline shawn a

• Hero of Flight
Re: SCS Maritime Standoff
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2012, 09:32:33 PM »
The slightest hint of weakness or lack of resolve on this issue will not bode well for your country.
Stand firm, and let the rest of the world know about this territorial aggression.

Offline ManilaBoy45

• Pilot
SCS Maritime Standoff
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2012, 11:15:35 AM »
The maritime standoff between China and the Philippines around Scarborough Shoal that started back on April 10th continues for the 15th straight days and shows no signs of ending anytime soon ...

http://www.ibtimes.com/articles/331982/20120423/philippines-china-scarborough-shoal-update.htm#disqus_thread

« Last Edit: May 12, 2012, 04:26:02 AM by ManilaBoy45 »

Offline shawn a

• Hero of Flight
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2012, 04:24:59 AM »
Although I personally don't hold the "United Nations" in very high regard, shouldn't they be dealing with this act of territorial aggression?

Offline ManilaBoy45

• Pilot
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2012, 10:50:11 AM »
Although I personally don't hold the "United Nations" in very high regard, shouldn't they be dealing with this act of territorial aggression?

They should be but for some reason they have not issued any statement or intervene so far in the maritime standoff between China and the Philippines which is now on it's 17th straight days ...

Offline Webmaster

• MILAVIA Webmaster
  • Administrator
  • General of Flight
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2012, 05:27:11 AM »

Just like that? Has it been brought to the agenda then? Philippines is a UN member, but has there been a statement from its UN representative? China, don't think they want to get UN involved. I suppose the US could bring it up, but China would start easily with the fact that the US is doing wargames with the Philippines in the area, the US rather shows its military presence than get the UN involved. So, who will bring it to the table then? I actually don't really know when the security council comes into play, wouldn't this just be a case under international law first? It seems this is still pretty much on the diplomatic level between nations, with neither sides taking the steps to take it to the international level. So then the UN doesn't get involved until it goes wrong.
  • Interests: Su-15, Su-27, Tu-22, Tornado, RNLAF
Niels Hillebrand
MILAVIA Webmaster

Offline ManilaBoy45

• Pilot
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2012, 04:25:15 AM »
« Last Edit: May 12, 2012, 04:28:28 AM by ManilaBoy45 »

Offline shawn a

• Hero of Flight
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2012, 11:10:56 PM »
In addition to the absurd claims of "sovereignty" over the Island and reefs, the threat in the newspaper of the PLA was absolutely astounding!
The claim that china's 'sovereignty" is being challenged is a typical reversal of reality by china, and a transparent attempt at territorial expansion.
There is also the issue of the upcoming chinese party congress, which could cause divisiveness in china, and this cheap attempt to incite nationalistic pride as a unifying factor can be seen as an indication of uncertainty about the outcome of the party congress. Where is the Jasmine Revolution when it is needed?
So, ManilaBoy45, what ships and forces does your nation have on hand to repel this aggression? I would assume the chinese have dispatched a submarine to the area in another escalation of this conflict, an escalation that will not be seen by casual observers, but there, nonetheless.
All this is right out of Sun Tsu.
I urge people of the Philippines to stand firm and not to worry over a few bananas rotting on a pier in china, or fewer chinese "tourists"
Shawn a

Offline Webmaster

• MILAVIA Webmaster
  • Administrator
  • General of Flight
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2012, 05:02:54 AM »
But that congress is getting delayed because of internal debate, so even if it's just that, this will still last for months.

I would assume the chinese have dispatched a submarine to the area in another escalation of this conflict, an escalation that will not be seen by casual observers, but there, nonetheless.

USS North Carolina will find it then, not really casual... but an observer nonetheless.  :)
  • Interests: Su-15, Su-27, Tu-22, Tornado, RNLAF
Niels Hillebrand
MILAVIA Webmaster

AVIATION TOP 100 - www.avitop.com click to vote for MILAVIA