MILAVIA Forum - Military Aviation Discussion Forum

Author Topic: Taiwan needs to make a decision  (Read 15645 times)

Offline shawn a

• Hero of Flight
Taiwan needs to make a decision
« on: July 24, 2011, 07:58:56 AM »
Let's talk about "The elephant in the elevator", something very few people seem to wish to discuss.
Taiwan needs to make a decision, very publicly, about whether they want to be an independent nation, or want to join china.
I see no wisdom in selling to Taiwan America's latest weaponry and systems, if in the near future, they will just be assimilated into the prc, (a nation and culture that is infamous for stealing everything they possibly can--even from their "friends" (J-11B)). Taiwan needs to take a referendum of its people (free of chinese coercion, and threats of invasion) about their choice of either remaining an INDEPENDENT COUNTRY, or joining the prc, and the entire world, including china needs to respect that decision.
china has shown the world it is absolutely obsessed with taking Taiwan by any means, including a violent invasion, and has been obviously preparing for just that, as fast as the rest of the world's money can make it possible. Increasing chinese belligerence over territorial ambitions, not only concerning Taiwan, but other areas, seems to indicate that china is preparing for war, and arming themselves in a way that rivals that of Hitler's Germany before WWII.
If it were any other country on earth, making the same threats of violent invasion of a free and independent country, the UN, and the rest of the world would invoke sanctions and make contingency plans, but evidently, china is exempt from consideration of such actions. Why is this?
I don't wish to sell our advanced weaponry to a politically ambiguous nation that may, in the near future, turn over some of our more advanced technology to a nation that will take vicious advantage of the "gift"
Any opinions, you readers on baidu?

Offline Webmaster

• MILAVIA Webmaster
  • Administrator
  • General of Flight
Re: Taiwan needs to make a decision
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2011, 05:16:35 AM »
It's a democracy, KMT in power, so even if their voters want to remain independent they gave their vote to a party that doesn't need independence, but wants no unification either. So I'd say there's no need for a referendum, whether or not they don't take this principal issue into account when voting for their government. It means they agree, don't care, or think it will not happen anyway. We'll see what happens in the next election and see what the people think of this trade agreement with China.

US interests are not Taiwan's interests, so guess it's up the US to decide where this is going, and stop arms supplies if needed. But what's the advanced tech you are talking about? China has already passed the "F-16 / Hawkeye / Apache"-tech phase... what is being sold now?

The UN? China has a permament seat in the UN security council, will just veto it. Japan has a non-aggression constitution. So it's up the US, and if not, it would be anyway. Sanction China? Seriously, say goodbye to your export to China then. But the situation is much more difficult to even talk about sanctions... China owns your debt... tread carefully.

US and China are so co-dependent on eachother, that Taiwan is not worth risking the relationship. And that goes for both sides really. China has a much longer term vision, whether it can get some US weapon tech or not and whatever the situation with Taiwan will be, doesn't really change a lot about where it is going, imho.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2011, 05:23:07 AM by Webmaster »
  • Interests: Su-15, Su-27, Tu-22, Tornado, RNLAF
Niels Hillebrand
MILAVIA Webmaster

Offline shawn a

• Hero of Flight
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2011, 07:06:40 AM »
Well, I see we're on the verge of kowtowing, by not selling Taiwan any modern F-16s (oxymoron, I know), instead offering to "upgrade" A and B models.
If Taiwan is going to willingly join china, then I'd rather not see any more arms sales to them. No PAC-3 Patriots.
The Taiwanese people need to make a very public statement about their desires.
And that statement needs to be honored by the ENTIRE rest of the world.
So what's with you guest readers on baidu? Sign up, include your country in your profile, and give some opinions-- Or won't your government let you?? OR, ARE YOU THE GOVERNMENT??
Shawn A

Offline Webmaster

• MILAVIA Webmaster
  • Administrator
  • General of Flight
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2011, 05:40:26 PM »
LOL, just like Google, Bing and Yahoo, Baidu spiders the forums to add the topics in their search index. That's all.
Niels Hillebrand
MILAVIA Webmaster

Offline shawn a

• Hero of Flight
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2011, 12:45:04 AM »
Not even one person in 1.3 billion is interested?

Offline Webmaster

• MILAVIA Webmaster
  • Administrator
  • General of Flight
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2011, 05:16:16 AM »
I wish 1.3 billion would visit my site, LOL.
Niels Hillebrand
MILAVIA Webmaster

Offline Raptor

• General of Flight
  • What's the next big thing?
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2011, 03:52:29 PM »
I wish 1.3 billion would visit my site, LOL.

I'm not one of the 1.3 billion, but I do know a great many, and they are much more comfortable posting in websites in Chinese.  ;) ... of which there are also like 1.3 billion...  ???
-JCLim

Offline Webmaster

• MILAVIA Webmaster
  • Administrator
  • General of Flight
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2011, 04:28:49 AM »
Even if they say we want to remain "independent"... which I can see is not as easy as it sounds. As a Dutch saying goes, a good neighbor is better than a friend far-away. Make that growing economic power neighbour with a desire to trade and a friend in recession with a desire to import less and you kinda see the point in them making steps towards China. :P

Taiwan is probably best off remaining where it is now, maybe a bit more political/economical towards China to ease the climate, but still independent. Because you see "Taiwan needs to make a decision"... why on earth? It doesn't afaik. It will get those weapons eventually.
Niels Hillebrand
MILAVIA Webmaster

Offline shawn a

• Hero of Flight
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2011, 06:35:21 AM »
Nah- I just think it needs to make a decision to reduce tension and make clear the longer term ambitions of it's people.
Can't we all just get along?

Offline shawn a

• Hero of Flight
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2011, 09:53:40 PM »
Well, the political idiocy that is the norm in the US is showing its face again (a face that is plastered with political "makeup") in an effort by two Texas (I wonder where F-16s are made?) lawmakers to FORCE the president, through a new law, to sell the C and D model F-16s to Taiwan!
In an absolutely hilarious (and delirious) statement, Senator John Cornyn (R-Texas) said that there are 23,000 jobs in America that depend on this sale.
Cornyn and cronies propose to flip the way foreign military sales are decided upon by giving congress and its lobbyists the power to direct and instigate foreign military sales. And in effect create foreign policy. Talk about government of and by the "people"!-except they're the wrong people. I can't imagine Cornyn being the least bit concerned about this issue if F-16s were made in any state but texas.
And where did I read that the upgrade of A and B models would leave the door open for possible sales of the F-35 to Taiwan? !!!!!
 Is there some substance in the drinking water in Washington DC that causes irrationality and divisiveness?
Well, Taiwan -how about it, prc or free?

Offline Webmaster

• MILAVIA Webmaster
  • Administrator
  • General of Flight
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2011, 10:46:51 PM »
23,000 Jobs?? Who's going to produce the F-35 then?

Btw, Taiwan is peanuts compared to India... but the F-16 was offered instead of the F-35 and now they're out, what a surprise.

The F-16 story has been a great success... it's not going to last forever.

Niels Hillebrand
MILAVIA Webmaster

AVIATION TOP 100 - www.avitop.com click to vote for MILAVIA