MILAVIA Forum - Military Aviation Discussion Forum

Author Topic: Turkey massing 140,000 troops  (Read 6640 times)

Offline tigershark

• News Editor
  • General of Flight
Turkey massing 140,000 troops
« on: July 10, 2007, 12:45:20 AM »
Turkey's army has 140,000 troops and equipment on Iraq's border.   I don't think there attack but in that region one never knows completely.   I always felt the British and France did a poor job of splitting up the region so many years ago that the Kurds should gotten there own territory in a border section of Turkey, Iraq, and Iran.   They seem to like the underdog in Turkey and Iraq but I might have it completely wrong.   I'm open mined enough that if somebody can explain I'm willing to listen.   I remember Iraq bombing them and using poison too on them so I can't imagine be that threatening to Turkey who has a huge and well equipped military.   Is this an old problem that Turkey's government wants to just rid themselves with?  Is it a land grab?   Is there oil and the region in Iraq where the Kurds are?   Do the Kurdish people or rebel groups really attack villages or targets in Turkey?   

This is the story I found
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070709/ap_on_re_mi_ea/turkey_iraq_border

Offline Webmaster

• MILAVIA Webmaster
  • Administrator
  • General of Flight
Re: Turkey massing 140,000 troops
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2007, 03:23:40 AM »
Yes, they did split it up poorly, the entire region maybe. But eh, splitting up the middle-east could probably never have been done 'right'.

Do the Kurdish people or rebel groups really attack villages or targets in Turkey?

No, but PKK does, more terrorist than just rebel according to most.

There's no oil as far as I know, only oil pipeline running through eastern Turkey to the sea... coming from Kazachstan I think. As far as Northern Iraq, not much I think, it's why splitting Iraq in three wouldn't work...one or two will be left without oil.

The Turkish government first of all is afraid of the Iraqi situation getting out of hand and the fight moving into Turkey. This would be insurgency, not a battlefield, doesn't matter how it would compare to the Turkish military. Huge political issues. Secondly there's the PKK which alledgely uses Northern Iraq as base now.

I think couple of days ago, Turkish jets and artillery bombarded some villages/targets in Northern Iraq, said to be aimed at PKK.

Now, I'll shut up now, because it's highly political and I don't know much about it either.
  • Interests: Su-15, Su-27, Tu-22, Tornado, RNLAF
Niels Hillebrand
MILAVIA Webmaster

Offline Gripen

• General of Flight
  • WHATEVER YOUR PAST, THE FUTURE IS GRIPEN!
Re: Turkey massing 140,000 troops
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2007, 05:26:34 AM »
Well they obviously have some one importants support (USA) otherwise there would be a big shit fight about what's happening in Northern Iraq.

Interesting though, very interesting.

AVIATION TOP 100 - www.avitop.com click to vote for MILAVIA